Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting the rear upper shock mount? (Read 221 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Cutting the rear upper shock mount?
06/12/12 at 20:06:44

Since I bought the parts for a chain conversion, I realized I'm going to have room to move the mount inward. I'll also be going hardtail - just links, nothing fancy - but I'm curious what's past the shoulder on those mounts. Is it hollow or is that one solid piece?

I'm leaving the swingarm alone. For now at least. Plan is to simply run the link to the inside of the lower mount.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cutting the rear upper shock mount?
Reply #1 - 06/12/12 at 20:51:23

Does the shock go straight up & down from swingarm to mount? I think it does,, how is it gonna work leaned over? Id guess, not so well,,binding on the swingarm mount & all,, Im not lookin at it, so, maybe what you want to do will work, but Id sure go slow here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/12/12 at 21:16:07

somebodies got a kit for you...

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 06/12/12 at 21:49:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/12/12 at 20:51:23:
Does the shock go straight up & down from swingarm to mount? I think it does,, how is it gonna work leaned over? Id guess, not so well,,binding on the swingarm mount & all,, Im not lookin at it, so, maybe what you want to do will work, but Id sure go slow here.

I'll be running to the inside of the lower mount to keep it straight but like I said in my original post, I'm hardtailing this with links. It doesn't matter what angle they may end up at.

Yes, I've seen those hardtail kits but I'm not willing to spend more on the kit than I did on the bike, especially considering its condition.

You know how you guys say no one has ever worn out one of these clutches before? Well that's about to change. The cable on this is out of adjustment at both ends and there's slop in it. The clutch lever doesn't return fully without pushing it into place.

As I looked over this thing and saw how many shade-tree repairs have been done to it, I realized this isn't ever going to be a nice bobber, it's just going to be a rat.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/12/12 at 22:29:17

You sure the clutch is wiped? The factory cable is a piece of shi... Too long from the word go and stretches like mad. I shortened mine and had a new end soldered on. If the clutch is getting funky you should be able to shim the springs, pretty common on Kawi V-twins, the factory springs are too soft. Savage probably uses weak springs too. A handful of washers and it should be good to around 60K miles. If the clutch truly is shot, get quality replacement parts, not OEM iffys.

Easiest way to hardtail strut a Savage is a set of leaf spring lift shackles. Less than $25 at Autozone, just drill the upper and lower holes out with a 9/16" drill bit. Use a drill press and lots of oil... Round the edges with a grinder. Drops the rear end about 3-4".

If you plan to drill out the mount and flip the bolt to the inside make sure you sleeve it... The frame isn't the high grade chromoly modern rigids are made from.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 06/12/12 at 23:34:39

I can't be positive because I don't know enough about the bike but the amount of slop in the actuating arm is quite worrisome. I'll snap some pictures but I'll start another thread for that.

For now I'd just like to know if anyone has cut off the upper shock mount and what exactly does it look like. I'm hoping it's hollow so I can tap it and put a bolt in it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/13/12 at 00:13:27

3 rods are available to put in the clutch. Look at the marks on the case where the actuator is. Mite need a longer rod, mite need a shorter cable or maybe a bit of both,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/13/12 at 06:49:46

I looked into doping the same thing with my bike with the chain conversion, and in the end we decided not to risk it. I don't remember why, but my buddy Jay who has been doing the welding and frame mods for me wasn't keen on risking it; then again, I'm not so sure now that he's really the expert he said he was.

You could just risk it and cut away at it; maybe someone here has a junk frame they are willing to cut into just to see; I don't. If Suzuki was smart, that post should be rock solid, but very little of the frame on this thing has been rock solid... so who knows?

If you cut it off, and it turns out to be solid, how hard would it be to just drill it out? Big pain in the a$$ I'm sure, but probably doable?

Then again, if it's a Rat, and you're willing to cut up the frame anyway, you could have someone weld your strut right on there for now. That would probably be easier if you can't get a bolt in there...

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 06/13/12 at 13:08:05

I'm more of the type to lower cars than jack-up trucks so I guess I didn't know what to expect when I asked for "leaf spring lift shackles" but I definitely expected something a bit more sophisticated than a steel bar with some holes punched in it. Definitely simple, that's for sure. I'm going for a bit nicer route, prolly use bushings as well.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/13/12 at 14:12:20

Search the net for Ironhead struts, there are some decent alloy round stock ones out there. Making them tends to be more of a hassle than it is worth. I ran struts on mine for a very short while, ended up going the other way and used some Intruder shocks to raise the rear end. Couldn't stand the front end feel with a lowered rear. The stock fork is a mite flexible...

Car dropper huh? I'm getting set up to do an axle flip on a 1949 Dodge truck, tail dragger style with a couple leaves pulled up front. Should go well with my Cal look Super Beetle. Something to haul the street tracker and 1937 Henderson beach cruiser bicycle in.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/26/12 at 07:35:48

The upper mount is a solid bar that fits into the frame and is welded in place. I cut off as much as I could and drilled/reamed a 1/2" hole through it.

I then took the piece I cut off and turned a portion of it down to 1/2" to fit in the hole I made. If you look closely at the second pic, the shoulder appears to be out-of-round. It is. I made it eccentric so I have some fine-tuning ability with it since I doubt my hard-tail links are going to come out perfect.

I have to grind a bit more off the frame and I think I'm going to cut the shoulder down a bit more also but this is about it. No more lop-sided crap. The license plate will hide the fact that the swing-arm is on the wrong side.

Keep in mind that while the the shock clears the rear sprocket, it will NOT clear the chain so for any of you kiddies thinking about doing this as well, you'll need different shocks or do as I'm doing and hardtail it.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/26/12 at 22:25:38

That's awesome! I'm glad you made it work. You did a very slick job with that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:27:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cutting the rear upper shock mount?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.