Send Topic Print
Snap Ring Pliers (Read 114 times)
nooner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Snap Ring Pliers
07/22/12 at 14:15:19

I'm doing the Verslavy mod and butchered the snap ring while taking off the old tensioner so I can't reuse it.  I had never heard of, nor used, snap ring pliers before and it took me a while to get the ring off.  The pliers at 3/8 in. seemed too big for the hole - I ended up grinding them down a bit. I had purchased a just-in-case snap ring at the local dealer.  The problem is that the hole at the top of the replacement snap ring is too small for my pliers.  I've looked at Lowe's, Home Depot and Canadian Tire to find pliers that will open the snap ring but have had no luck.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Snap Ring Pliers
Reply #1 - 07/22/12 at 14:51:33

look online, enter snap ring pliers sale, Youll get local outlets. Mine have changeable tips, sizes & angles,, & they can be changed from spread to pinch.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/22/12 at 15:07:26

the holes on the snap ring are pretty small.
the hf snap ring set will fit but you gotta open them a little bit by jamming a small screwdriver in between.

WWW   IP Logged
nooner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/22/12 at 15:59:17

Thanks gents.  I'll keep monkeying around with the snap ring.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 07/22/12 at 18:54:03

I got a set of pliers at a local whse tool place for less than $5. Needed them the very next week. Ain't nothing like 'em when needed. Dig through the bargain tables in auto parts stores.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #5 - 07/22/12 at 19:36:20

I saw a set in a tool booth at the local flea market for $4 that looked to be the right size.  I almost bought them because I can't find mine.  I used a pair of round needle nose pliers to pull the snap ring when I recently pulled my chain tensioner.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 07/23/12 at 04:26:53

A few auto parts places (Autozone) have interchangeable tips for their snap ring pliers, Im sure Craftsman has a a good set...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/23/12 at 07:56:13

When I was doin copiers, I had pliers for spreading & pliers for pinching & 2 sizes of each,, & I wouldnt have bought the set of tips that interchange & the handle that will swap from spreading to pinching, because I might have one of each in a place where I had my hands full & needed the tool Right Now, But, now? I dont have such a cluttered drawer & I have the stuff I need for any snap ring.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nooner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/23/12 at 12:05:38

Problem solved!  Got a set of 4 mini snap pliers from NAPA Canada and 2 of them fit purrrfectly.  Now I can put things back together.  Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 07/23/12 at 19:20:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/23/12 at 07:56:13:
When I was doin copiers, I had pliers for spreading & pliers for pinching & 2 sizes of each,, & I wouldnt have bought the set of tips that interchange & the handle that will swap from spreading to pinching, because I might have one of each in a place where I had my hands full & needed the tool Right Now, But, now? I dont have such a cluttered drawer & I have the stuff I need for any snap ring.

Justin, my set has a fragile little pin that you move from one place on the handle for clamp--another place for spreading. Should last me forever, no more rings than I use.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/23/12 at 22:59:35

Heck, its been a while since I even looked at mine,,I cant remember how they go from spreading to pinching,, but even a fragile looking little pin will last a while, & like you say, we dont use them so often as to wear them out,,I figure my cheapo set will outlive me, if not, Ill get another cheapo set,, Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:16:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Snap Ring Pliers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.