Got a muffler question (Read 371 times)
Millerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Elmira, NY
Got a muffler question
07/21/12 at 04:38:57

I know i want a harley muffler to replace my stock one and also that i want one with a rail mount but i see their are many different harley part # for the rail mount muffs. So my question is will any rail mount muffler work?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Got a muffler question
Reply #1 - 07/21/12 at 05:36:08

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Millerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Elmira, NY
Reply #2 - 07/21/12 at 05:47:48

Yes thanks Routy but I've read that but I'm wondering if every rail mount harley muffler will work or if some wont. Like i have seen many on ebay and the part#'s vary but they still have the rail mount on them. So i just want to know if someone can clarify that they all will mount up on the savage's muffler rail and also if one is shorter or longer.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/21/12 at 07:17:13

Been looking at those myself these days.
YES, I'm fairly certain that all of them will work; as long as they have the rail mount; that's the part that bolts up to the stock muffler bracket.
Some of their mufflers are longer than others; mostly what I have seen are the shorty mufflers. I imagine a longer one would work, but I'm not sure. That Muffler post has exact part numbers listed if you need to be certain; or you could call your local Harley shop and ask them which ones are compatible with the numbers listed in that post.

I did discover that I will have to have an adapter made at a 10 degree or so angle to fit mine on. I'm going to try to get that done at the local muffler shop next week..

IP Logged
Bosgarage57
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sevierville, TN
Reply #4 - 07/21/12 at 10:40:09

Id call local harley shops and seee if they have any screamin eagle lating around.  got mine for $45 and it sounds awesome.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/21/12 at 11:40:59

Millerman wrote on 07/21/12 at 04:38:57:
I know i want a harley muffler to replace my stock one and also that i want one with a rail mount but i see their are many different harley part # for the rail mount muffs. So my question is will any rail mount muffler work?

Harley... shorty... rail mount... no crossover tube... Baffle not drilled or knocked out...
Good to go.. Wink...

Screw part #'s... they've got a million of them... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #6 - 07/21/12 at 16:16:59

one tab side mount will work also

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Millerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Elmira, NY
Reply #7 - 07/23/12 at 14:37:07

Ok so I found a dyna muffler very nice shape right in the town I live in so I went and picked it up only thing is, is the person took the baffles out so essentially its just a straight pipe. So my question is should i mount her up or should i not even bother cause i wont have any back pressure. I only paid 5 bucks for it.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 07/23/12 at 14:54:16

Millerman wrote on 07/23/12 at 14:37:07:
Ok so I found a dyna muffler very nice shape right in the town I live in so I went and picked it up only thing is, is the person took the baffles out so essentially its just a straight pipe. So my question is should i mount her up or should i not even bother cause i wont have any back pressure. I only paid 5 bucks for it.

It will be loud and your performance may suffer. However my Dyna muffler (and I believe they all do) had what looks like an automotive freeze plug that directed the exhaust through the baffles. I believe any 1.5" freeze plug placed into the end that attaches to the header will put it back to normal. The inside necks down a little ways in and that is where it lodges. I used a piece of pipe to remove and install mine.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Millerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Elmira, NY
Reply #9 - 07/23/12 at 15:19:43

This is what she looks like

2012-07-23_17-49-27_312.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/23/12 at 15:44:08

That's not a muffler... it's pipe...  
Make a lamp out of it...  Grin...

Best to find one that isn't butchered... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Millerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Elmira, NY
Reply #11 - 07/23/12 at 18:36:22

darn  Embarrassed Think it'd be hard to make my own baffle?

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #12 - 07/23/12 at 19:57:57

The baffle is still in the back section. You need to somehow put a plug back into the center. That will direct the exhaust to the baffle. Seems like much trouble to me personally...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 07/23/12 at 20:11:02

yeah it's probably not really worth it to try and put the plug back in, not to mention how would you get in there to secure it where it needs to be in the first place.

I guess if you're really intent on trying to use it you could try, not saying it would work, doing the washer mod baffle that some use on straight pipes towards the exit of the muffler.  What you do is take a large washer that fits in the opening and drill through the pipe.  then attach a bolt through the pipe to the washer so that you can secure it inside the pipe. with the bolt you will be able to turn the washer so that it allows more or less exhaust through to kinda tune it some.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #14 - 07/24/12 at 05:24:05

It's easy! I've had mine out a few times to drill various holes in it. A piece of pipe keeps it straight. Tap it in until it's snug. Bolt it on.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:14:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got a muffler question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.