Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Installing Signal Lite Beeper (Read 170 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Installing Signal Lite Beeper
07/19/12 at 07:25:26

Seems this has been done here, but can't find it now.
Is there a single wire that is flashing hot.....only while either side is flashing ?
Otherwise, can anyone steer me to a wire that is continuosly hot......but only while either side is flashing ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Installing Signal Lite Beeper
Reply #1 - 07/19/12 at 09:34:28

Can you state your question a different way?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/19/12 at 10:08:34

360k+ wrote on 07/19/12 at 09:34:28:
Can you state your question a different way?

I can try,.......
I want to connect a beeper that beeps while either signal lite is on, and need to find the correct wire to hook to.

It could preferrably beep in time w/ the flasher, but if it was a continuous
beep while either signal is on would be ok too.

I don't have a wiring diagram of the turn signal circuit, otherwise I could probably find the correct wire myself.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/19/12 at 10:30:10

You want to connect it at the flasher Routy.  when the signal is on one of the wires will be hot the other will flash.  A simple test with your VOM or test light will tell you which wire is which.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/19/12 at 10:38:17

search "piezo"

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/19/12 at 10:55:42

Do a search for turn signal flasher with sound. I found one on ebay for $6.99 w/free shipping. Sorry, don't know how to make a link. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 07/19/12 at 11:08:34

You want to connect the buzzer on the downstream side of the flasher unit.   One side of the flasher is at 12V continuously, the other side will alternately connect/disconnect. (flash).  Connect the buzzer between the flashing side and ground.  Radio shack sells a variety of 12V buzzers that are intended for alarm systems, but will work fine in this case.  Make sure you get a buzzer and not a piezo speaker (the speaker will only click in this application).

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032266

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 07/19/12 at 11:11:02

rfw2003 wrote on 07/19/12 at 10:30:10:
You want to connect it at the flasher Routy.  when the signal is on one of the wires will be hot the other will flash.  A simple test with your VOM or test light will tell you which wire is which.

R.F.

Thanks.
Good thought, problem is the flasher is hot whenever the key is turned on. I need a wire that is hot only when either signal lite is on.

Rich
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 07/19/12 at 11:19:08

If the flasher isn't flashing, then both side will be at 12V.  You have to turn the turn signal on to make the flasher flash.   Find a place you can measure the wire without removing it.   Again, one side is 12V all the time, the other side flashes when the flasher is being used.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 07/19/12 at 11:45:09

Connect your beeper across the turn signal flasher. With the signals off, both wires will be at 12 V, so there will be no voltage across the beeper and it will be silent. When the signals are on, the beeper will sound when the lights are off (12 volts on one side of the beeper, ground through the cold lamp filaments on the other) and not sound when the lights are on. If you want the beeper to sound when the lights are on, you'll need to connect a diode to each of the two signals and tie the two diodes to the beeper, then ground the other side of the beeper. If you use an electronic beeper, watch polarity. It is easier on those bikes which have only one turn signal indicator light, because then you just connect the beeper in parallel with the indicator light.

You could always go for the "cool factor" and use two beepers of different pitches. That way you'd know which signal was on.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 07/19/12 at 11:49:04

verslagen1 wrote on 07/19/12 at 10:38:17:
search "piezo"

Thanks Versel, the search did turn up several posts some of which this had actually been done, and some that were guessing only.

In reality, a beeper hooked to the flashing side of the flasher will beep all the time because the flasher is hot anytime the key is on.

A couple posts have used a single beeper, but had to make use of a diode to keep from backfeeding to the other side. Another used a rectifier and relay to do the same.

Others did it the easiest way, by just using 2 beepers, one hooked to each side,......said it works great.

Apparently there is no wire such as I had hoped.

Thanks all

Rich
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 07/19/12 at 12:00:40

Routy wrote on 07/19/12 at 11:49:04:
verslagen1 wrote on 07/19/12 at 10:38:17:
search "piezo"

Thanks Versel, the search did turn up several posts some of which this had actually been done, and some that were guessing only.

In reality, a beeper hooked to the flashing side of the flasher will beep all the time because the flasher is hot anytime the key is on.

A couple posts have used a single beeper, but had to make use of a diode to keep from backfeeding to the other side. Another used a rectifier and relay to do the same.

Others did it the easiest way, by just using 2 beepers, one hooked to each side,......said it works great.

Apparently there is no wire such as I had hoped.

Thanks all

Routy, you're right.   I forgot about the fact the flasher contacts are normally closed (sorry bout dat).   The way Charon said will work, but keep in mind the buzzer actually passes some current thru itself (which would normally be open contacts).   However, in this case I don't think it's enough to cause problems.    

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 07/19/12 at 15:21:48

I have not tried the "beeper across the turn signal flasher" on a Savage. But it is the method I used on my wife's Twinstar years ago, and it worked fine. The beeper uses only a few milliamps of current, while the turn signal lights use at least a couple of amps. The current the beeper passes through the lights is so insignificant as not to matter. You do have to make sure neither wire is grounded. On the Twinstar the turn signal flasher was under one of the side covers, and I just cable-tied the beeper under there. For connection, I simply unplugged the flasher, put the beeper wires into the holes, and replugged.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 07/19/12 at 16:00:30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-piezo-buzzer-Continues-tone-for-alarm-DC-12V-Fre...

I ordered these,.....for the ez way out. Hope they'll work.

Rich
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 07/19/12 at 19:48:04

Well you can still wire off the flasher just by adding a standard automotive 30amp relay to the circuit.  Just put your buzzer on terminal 87A,  and on terminal 30 to a 12v power source that is only on when the key is on then it will only supply the power to the buzzer when the flasher is cutting the power to the circuit.

You could use any relay that has both NO and NC contacts on it like the standard automotive 30 amp relay.  There are many out there that are smaller that can be had.

If you need me to draw you up a simple wiring diagram of this let me know.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 19:36:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installing Signal Lite Beeper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.