Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best reference books (Read 68 times)
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Best reference books
07/17/12 at 11:19:35

I'm looking to learn more about how to do my own repair work. I can change my oil, put on new handlebars, turnsignals, etc. But I'd like to learn more about engine maintenance and repair. Any one have a suggestion for a good general motorcycle repair book? And maybe another focused on single cylinder engines? The goal is to be able to do everything myself. Obviously I'll have to take it to my buddys shop to mount tires and weld. Thanks guys.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: Best reference books
Reply #1 - 07/17/12 at 11:44:55

clymer, set of wrenches, beer, time..............all you need.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/17/12 at 11:46:20

This site is the best reference library you can find. YOull need a maintenance manual & tools.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/17/12 at 11:59:23

As far as a general book, I dont know of any.

The best experience would come from cracking into a motor and following along with a good manual. I say good manual because the Clymers are ok, but not the best. The best you can follow is a good Mfr's service manual.

I haven't heard of one for the Savage and actually haven't looked for one either.

But all these Japanese motorcycle engines are very similar. Once you fiddle with one you will gain experience to work on the next one.  They pretty much for the most part are all configured the same and only have differences like amount of valves, cylinders, pistons, exhaust ports per cylinder, water cooling, and stuff like that. But the general build is the same, integrated gearbox, overhead cam, cam chain, intake, exhaust (as far as the Japanese bikes go).

Of course there is the 2-stroke engines also, which are different but It sounds like you are mostly concerned with just a better general knowledge of the common streetbike motor.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/17/12 at 16:47:59

I just looked at Amazon, then went to the LAPL (library) website and reserved a couple of promising books. Both are by Haynes, "Motorcycle Workshop Practice Textbook", and "Motorcycle Basics Techbook."

You could do the same. Look up "motorcycle repair" or "Motorcycle workshop", etc. on Amazon or your local library website. I often check out books from the library then later buy them for myself, or find out they aren’t worth the bother.

Or you can do as I do and collect anything written by Kevin Cameron. I have been going thru my old "Cycle World" magazines and slicing out his TDC columns and throwing away the rest of the mags, except for the repair column at the end of the mag. Learned a lot by not making other peoples' mistakes. I still make more than my share of my own.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/17/12 at 18:54:47

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home