Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Gas in the oil
Reply #15 - 07/13/12 at 16:37:49

When I was where you are now, I ordered a float needle assembly because I thought I had to have one.

Still got it.

May eventually need to put it in .....   float needle valves do wear out eventually on all float based carburetors.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #16 - 07/13/12 at 17:19:13

OK, so I put the clear tube on, drained the gas that was already in the bowl with the raptor off. Then, tied the tube up higher than the bottom of the throttle body, turned the raptor on, tapped on the bowl with the better end of a large screwdriver, opened the drain screw and the gas went to about the bottom of the bowl while the bike was on side stand. Definitely no where near the bottom of the throttle body. Maybe I got it unstuck. I guess I will run the bike and we will find out soon.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 07/13/12 at 19:31:24

Leave the Raptor on and see where the gas is in a couple of hours .....

(if ya got a case of the drips it takes a while for them little drips to accumulate)

If you are still good after a few hours, try overnight.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #18 - 07/13/12 at 19:37:09

splash07 wrote on 07/13/12 at 17:19:13:
OK, so I put the clear tube on, drained the gas that was already in the bowl with the raptor off. Then, tied the tube up higher than the bottom of the throttle body, turned the raptor on, tapped on the bowl with the better end of a large screwdriver, opened the drain screw and the gas went to about the bottom of the bowl while the bike was on side stand. Definitely no where near the bottom of the throttle body. Maybe I got it unstuck. I guess I will run the bike and we will find out soon.

Hey Spash07, Ditto what Oldfeller is telling you: replace the needle valve assembly. Once the carb bowl is off place a very small screw driver between the head of the float pin and the post and pry gently by rolling the screwdriver. After the float is out shake it to make sure there is no gas in it. The needle valve assembly is right below the float. Remove the one screw and hold down plate and pull the valve out with needle nose pliers. The screen is on the bottom of the valve assembly. Put it back together in reverse order with new needle valve assembly and it shouldn't leak anymore. It's cheaper to buy a carb rebuild kit that includes a valve assembly than to buy just the valve assembly. (If you can find just the needle valve assembly)

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:14:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas in the oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.