Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedo RATTLE CRACKLE SMACKLE DINGLE (Read 91 times)
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Speedo RATTLE CRACKLE SMACKLE DINGLE
03/20/12 at 07:26:00

Now that the Valve job is done.. Properly  Cool It was OFF to the speedo that has more than once made me stop off somewhere and almost buy a 8lb sledge hammer.
What i did was read the speedo rattle thread
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1179104436
An started thinkin.. An off i went to Lowes yesterday and got
2 packs of Hillman Rubber Grommets ( 5/8OD x 5/16ID )
1 pack of Hillman Flat Washers Nylon ( 1/2 x 9/32 x 1/32 )

An thanks to OF and Digger I tore into the job. What i did different is that when the speedo is pulled out of the tank the Tab Holes where the speedo studs go through are big enough that the rubber grommets fit into them perfectly as the grommets are slotted so big - thin - big kinda like a samich Tongue

so 3 rubber grommets fitted into the tab holes and greased the speedo poles lightly and fitted the speedo back then added the flat nylon washers i got then the spring then the washer then the nut.  NOOO MORE STINKIN RATTLES!!!

WOOOO!!! an again... Thanks to OF an Digger cause i sure wouldnt have figured it out...

Cool Cool

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Speedo RATTLE CRACKLE SMACKLE DINGLE
Reply #1 - 03/20/12 at 13:34:33

Havent heard from Digger in a Loooong time,, & thats too bad..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 03/20/12 at 14:26:47

Cornfuzed, Oldfeller, I think has a detailed tech post on the speedo rattle. I did mine different by using rubber hose only slid down against the speedo and rubber hose slid down on the other side of the mounts. I can't picture it now, but hose is squished slightly on both sides of the flange, I think. No rattle and took 30 minutes.

Oops. didn't finish yor post before running off at the mouth. Anyway that's what I did.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 07/13/12 at 21:56:19

cornfuzed wrote on 03/20/12 at 07:26:00:
Now that the Valve job is done.. Properly  Cool It was OFF to the speedo that has more than once made me stop off somewhere and almost buy a 8lb sledge hammer.
What i did was read the speedo rattle thread
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1179104436
An started thinkin.. An off i went to Lowes yesterday and got
2 packs of Hillman Rubber Grommets ( 5/8OD x 5/16ID )
1 pack of Hillman Flat Washers Nylon ( 1/2 x 9/32 x 1/32 )

An thanks to OF and Digger I tore into the job. What i did different is that when the speedo is pulled out of the tank the Tab Holes where the speedo studs go through are big enough that the rubber grommets fit into them perfectly as the grommets are slotted so big - thin - big kinda like a samich Tongue

so 3 rubber grommets fitted into the tab holes and greased the speedo poles lightly and fitted the speedo back then added the flat nylon washers i got then the spring then the washer then the nut.  NOOO MORE STINKIN RATTLES!!!

WOOOO!!! an again... Thanks to OF an Digger cause i sure wouldnt have figured it out...

Cool Cool

Yep, it's been three years now since I did the speedo rattle mod and have yet to see a problem!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 07/13/12 at 22:32:03

The title cracks me up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1