Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas in the oil (Read 162 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Gas in the oil
07/13/12 at 14:06:20

I got a bunch of gas in the crankcase from leaving my raptor in the on position, do I need to do anything other than just drain and refill?

IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Re: Gas in the oil
Reply #1 - 07/13/12 at 14:26:41

Hey, I know I haven't been around S40s much but I've been around bikes awhile, "Right on" on the drain and refill but you've got to figure out what's happening with the petcock. 2+ gallons of head pressure wanting to drain into your crankcase is not a road you want to take.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 07/13/12 at 14:28:27

Clean and dry the oil filter or just replace it. You should look into why it happened. Just leaving a Raptor on shouldn't do that.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 07/13/12 at 14:29:24

Carl beat me to the punch!  Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 07/13/12 at 15:33:16

Any other suggestions for why it might happen? I just finished building the bike, was fine for the few days I had the raptor off, then I left it on for about two days and I believe about a half cup to a cup of gas slowly leaked through the carb. Open to other ideas, willing to leave no stone unturned to fix this annoying problem. Im on my second oil change and I dont want to change it again for a while.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/13/12 at 15:54:01

If the Raptor was off,... it's a dirty, or worn out float needle, or the floats are sticking or leaking...
Pull the floatbowl and look around... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 07/13/12 at 15:54:37

In far northern climes, bush pilots used to dump some gas into the crankcase of a hot engine, idle it for a minute, then shut it down and cover it up with blankets, etc.  This makes the oil thin so the next morning when it is 20 below zero the oil will be thin enough to allow the motor to turn over.  10w oil is clay at that temp.  The gas evaporates in the first few minutes of running the next time the motor is started.

So, if you only got 1/2 cup into the oil, I wouldn't worry about it.  It'll evaporate shortly.  I would find out how it happened, though, so you can stop it from happening again.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/13/12 at 15:56:53

Serowbot wrote on 07/13/12 at 15:54:01:
If the Raptor was off,... it's a dirty, or worn out float needle, or the floats are sticking or leaking...

+1

once had a bunch of lint in the valve seat screen, so pull it too and inspect, clean.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/13/12 at 15:58:02

Congratulations, you are the next candidate for winner of the Routy Prize for being the very first one to have your float valve in your carburetor leak while wearing a Raptor.    

disqualified -- issue was preexisting again

Sorry Routy

Routy is VERY PLEASED that you have finally arrived.    You validate his long held beliefs (and he has needed that boost, believe me).

(fireworks burst into the air and angels start to sing your praises, then they stop abruptly and go home)

===================

Now, before you say you had a Raptor failure -- think for a minute.   The Raptor is working correctly, simply turning your gas on and off.

In reality, your carb float needle valve is leaking on you (or your float is stuck in the down position in the float bowl)

Turn the Raptor petcock on and take a big screwdriver handle and whack the float bowl a time or three pretty hard to jar the float bowl free.  If your problem stops -- then your float was simply stuck.

If the issue continues, then you will have to drop the bowl on your carb and

1) adjust your float height and check for any burrs and hang up points in the float/valve travel

2) check your float assembly for gasoline inside the float by shaking it and listening for any sloshing inside (very very rare but it does happen)

2) replace your float fuel needle valve (they can be damaged by carb cleaners, etc -- the rubber swells and or dissolves and they stop sealing off correctly)

Question:      Did you just work on your carburetor by any chance?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 07/13/12 at 16:03:49

I did just work on the carb. I took it apart cleaned with carb cleaner, with most of the rubber parts removed, I did not remove the float  or float valve during this process.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 07/13/12 at 16:05:45

how will I know if its just stuck, in other words, how do i know the tapping jars it loose and stops the flow of fuel?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 07/13/12 at 16:10:00

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/12 at 15:56:53:
Serowbot wrote on 07/13/12 at 15:54:01:

+1

once had a bunch of lint in the valve seat screen, so pull it too and inspect, clean.

Can you tell me where to find the valve seat screen?

Also, it looks like I will be pulling the float, so can anyone tell me the best method for removing the float pivot pin?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/13/12 at 16:14:19

Sort of a meatball thing, isn't it?   The whapping with the screw driver handle ??

You have a drain at the very bottom bottom of the bowl that in most cases can accept a piece of clear hose.

directly above me
Put some clear tubing on it and bend the clear tube up so it goes up the carb body (tape it or tie it so it doesn't flop around) so you can see what is going on inside the bowl.  Crank the drain screw open so the level of the gas sitting in the clear tubing shows the exact same fluid level as what is sitting in the float bow.

The gas level will have to show in this clear tube to visibly be "higher than the venturi"and thus be able to go down the throat, enter into your intake valves and go down your cylinder to get to your oil.    

And believe me, you have to be leaking a good bit to get it all the way up around and down into the oil.

Stuck floats leaks a bunch, bad needle valve leaks fuel by the slow drip --- drip ---- drip  ----   one slow drop at a time.

Put on some clear tubing on and give her a firm whack or two and see if the gas level stays out of the venturi level now.

Question:   Why did you take your Carburetor apart?   Was there an issue of some sort?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 07/13/12 at 16:22:19

splash07 wrote on 07/13/12 at 16:05:45:
how will I know if its just stuck, in other words, how do i know the tapping jars it loose and stops the flow of fuel?

It's the float valve, which if operating properly, won't let the fuel get by even with the petcock open.   You can suck on the fuel inlet with the float bowl pushed up (not hard, just enough to close the valve).   You should not be able to suck air, otherwise it is not sealing properly.

Remember, your fuel level in the tank is many inches higher than everything it flows into.  If the bowl fills and the valve doesn't seal, the fuel comes all the way up and out of the jet(s), leaking down the intake tube, past the intake valves, into the combustion chamber, past the rings, and voila!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #14 - 07/13/12 at 16:31:08

Took the carb apart to change jets since I modified the exhaust. I was having this problem before which I belive was compounded by a bad petcock, now if I leave the raptor on it will leak. So I will give the clear tubing a try first and see if it is just sticking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:15:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas in the oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.