Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Honda Nighthawk 750 (Read 122 times)
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honda Nighthawk 750
07/12/12 at 22:21:06

Anyone ever own a Honda Nighthawk 750? I am looking to add a new bike to the family and don't want a sport bike, but really like the look and performance attributes of the bike. Also, Honda reliability isn't too shabby, either. It just looks like a great standard bike with a sporting side.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Honda Nighthawk 750
Reply #1 - 07/13/12 at 05:39:44

Front end is a bit over-braked. Other than that never had a problem with them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 07/13/12 at 08:58:55

A single-disc is over-braked? I take it you've never ridden a sport bike before.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 07/13/12 at 09:15:43

WD wrote on 07/13/12 at 05:39:44:
Front end is a bit over-braked.

You can do that?  Braking is calculated on performance and weight.  They could have gone with a dual front disk setup, bit it would have added more cost.   I have to admit tho, they are probably at the limit in size for single disk.

Before I buy any bike, I would find a forum on that model and read about any reliability or maintenance quirks it may have.  For instance, I have owned bikes where the valves are only adjustable using fixed thickness physical shims.  So you have to buy a set of shims and a special valve spring compression tool for valve adjustments.   At one time the Honda ST1100 (in-line V4) really appealed to me, but I didn't buy it because of a similar valve maintenance situation.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/13/12 at 10:00:45

Thanks for the replies, guys. From what I've read, the bike is pretty much bullet proof. The single disc and drum set up seems a little light, but most of the bikes I've had have the same system. It's a budget sporting bike. I figure with progressive springs up front and shocks in the rear, the bike will be a nice sweeper. Now to locate one...

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Reply #5 - 07/13/12 at 10:14:13

I own a 750 Nighthawk (1993) and love it.

This page is a good one for specs and repair tips:

http://www.hondanighthawks.net/

And this one is good for tutorials on common mods:

http://www.nighthawk750.com/index.shtml

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 07/13/12 at 20:42:54

SuperSavage wrote on 07/12/12 at 22:21:06:
Anyone ever own a Honda Nighthawk 750? I am looking to add a new bike to the family and don't want a sport bike, but really like the look and performance attributes of the bike. Also, Honda reliability isn't too shabby, either. It just looks like a great standard bike with a sporting side.

That bike would be in my top five list for best standard bike ever.  I had a 1983 Suzuki GS850 that in my opinion was the best standard bike ever.  The Nighthawk 750, which I have ridden a few times, but not owned, would have to be a close competitor.  Buy it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 07/14/12 at 06:12:58

For what it was, mine was way over-braked. Aftermarket rotor and good EBC pads. If I didn't ease into the front brake it got really slow really quickly... Enough to bottom out the front end and try to lift the rear.

It was fun while it lasted... had an offer I couldn't refuse and sent it to a new home.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 07/14/12 at 19:33:16

Gotta chime in on this one. I just sold a 1992 CB750 Nighthawk. Why? I liked my wifes 2008 S40 more so I bought a Savage. The Nighthawk is air cooled like the Savage but it has an oil cooler. Tough bike and has a rep for being bulletproof. The biggest issues I had with it: Cold blooded! Check out the Nighthawk forum it is very common. I even did the mod that lifts the jet needle. It helped a little but still had to warm the bike up thoroughly or else choke it a little for the first couple of miles. Also the stock handlebars are too low and forward. I put a 4 inch riser on mine and that helped alot. Rear drum like the savage. I was tired of the chain drive, love the belt drive of the Savage. Lastly, being 5'8" I could barely put my feet flat on the ground on the nighthawk which made long redlights very uncomfortable. I must admit it had plenty of balls though.  Smiley
All and all I love the Savage and I'm glad I switched.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:31:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda Nighthawk 750

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.