Send Topic Print
Kind of a random topic (Read 187 times)
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Kind of a random topic
07/11/12 at 22:09:31

Ok, so I know this may be a random question but are there any electrical engineers on here? I have a fairly technical question to ask and thought I'd probe around here for answer.  (of course I'm also asking else where)

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Kind of a random topic
Reply #1 - 07/11/12 at 22:17:32

I'm no electrical engineer, but I do know my way around electronics and other electrical projects fairly well.

Just depends on what your asking.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/11/12 at 22:18:49

sure you need an engineer??

ask your question you never know Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #3 - 07/11/12 at 22:38:44

OK, bear with me here, i am in no way very electrically adept but I'm always willing to try something once.

I need help in designing a switch that when a device ceases to receive electrical current from a standard 110 wall plug (AC yes?) that device then switches to running off of an internal battery source (DC right?). I know these exist obviously, laptops for example, but if this switch type already has a name I would love to know what it is.

Also, this is for a small scale build. Say utilizing a board about 1" square.

Any questions to clarify what I'm aiming for please ask! Though I may only divulge only so much info as to elude to what I am designing.

Funny that I ask for an electrical engineer when really most anyone with any electrical experience could answer my question and any others that follow.  Tongue

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 07/11/12 at 22:42:44

Your talking about an Auto transfer switch, similar to what is used for generators. They also have the smaller ones that are used in computer UPS's as well that may fit the size requirements in what you are looking for.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 22:53:34

rfw2003 wrote on 07/11/12 at 22:42:44:
Your talking about an Auto transfer switch, similar to what is used for generators. They also have the smaller ones that are used in computer UPS's as well that may fit the size requirements in what you are looking for.

R.F.

So this switch could be engineered to the scale of say...the size of a 1" cubed space? How so? maybe a little bigger at a 2" cubed space?

I guess my biggest question would be what components are involved?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 23:18:39

The simplest way would be the use of a relay for the switch over, but to get it as small as possible you could use TRIAC's so that it could pass the AC currents and be in a smaller package.  Alot depends on the amount of current you are needing to pass as to what options you have for building this transfer switch.

R.F.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 07/12/12 at 02:54:16

The easiest way to do this to make sure the power supply is truly uninterrupted is to get a power-supply that's the same voltage as what you want and then get a battery that's the same voltage. When you unplug the power-supply, the battery just keeps powering everything.

Laptops don't "switch" from AC power to DC power, they're always DC power. Laptops just will dim the screen and slow the speed of the processors and even the hard-drives when they're unplugged to conserve battery power. They're always running off the same circuit the battery is on.

Uninterruptible power supplies don't switch from AC to DC either. They have power inverters that run off DC and the AC line supplies a power supply that powers that inverter and charges the batteries. When the AC gets cut, nothing happens except that the batteries are no longer getting charged.

It's pretty simple really, it's no different than the charging system in a car except instead of an engine spinning an alternator, it's a 120v AC line powering a DC power supply. Turn off the engine, the lights don't turn off. No switches flick to change from alternator to battery power. It's just up to the battery to keep the lights on, the alternator can't do it anymore.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/12/12 at 09:03:47

A normally-open relay wouldn't work?
I recall seeing a few on www.hackaday.com but some searching is required.

--Steve

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 07/12/12 at 09:53:54

Is the 1 inch gadget operating from AC or DC; i.e., is there an onboard power supply?   If it is a DC gadget then it's pretty easy to use one or more diodes to isolate the battery and power supply DC voltage.  The diodes prevent the DC supply from trying to back charge the battery (assuming non rechargeable), and/or the battery from trying to dump current into the DC supply when it goes nonop.   If the battery is rechargeable, then there are other ways to wire the diodes so that charge the battery where there is input power.   There's no need to engineer anything as this is well understood technology and there are lots of examples of this on the web.   For instance, automatic emergency lighting that lights up when power is removed have the circuit you might be looking for.  You can build or buy these units that plug into individual AC sockets.

BTW, I'm an MSEE.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 07/12/12 at 10:40:16

quoting 360K+ "BTW I'm an MSEE"

But are you radioactive??? de KG4ZAR

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 07/12/12 at 11:14:39

ZAR wrote on 07/12/12 at 10:40:16:
quoting 360K+ "BTW I'm an MSEE"

But are you radioactive??? de KG4ZAR

Funny you should ask, because I might be a little bit.   I used to work for a company that manufactured "fill height detectors" that we installed in breweries throughout the world.   These machines were used on can lines to detect under filled sealed cans of beer.   They used an Americium 241 alpha emitter source and scintillation detectors (Geiger counters).   There were many occasions where I had to stick my hand in the machine while it was running to clear a toppled can of beer and probably got a dose of alpha radiation (we wore dosimeters, tho).

IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #12 - 07/12/12 at 20:40:14

360k+ wrote on 07/12/12 at 09:53:54:
Is the 1 inch gadget operating from AC or DC; i.e., is there an onboard power supply?   If it is a DC gadget then it's pretty easy to use one or more diodes to isolate the battery and power supply DC voltage.  The diodes prevent the DC supply from trying to back charge the battery (assuming non rechargeable), and/or the battery from trying to dump current into the DC supply when it goes nonop.   If the battery is rechargeable, then there are other ways to wire the diodes so that charge the battery where there is input power.   There's no need to engineer anything as this is well understood technology and there are lots of examples of this on the web.   For instance, automatic emergency lighting that lights up when power is removed have the circuit you might be looking for.  You can build or buy these units that plug into individual AC sockets.

BTW, I'm an MSEE.

Well imagine the device i running when plugged into the wall and then when the power i cut, or turned off, the device continues to run but on a small 3 volt battery. 3 volts is really all the power this device needs.

That is essentially what I need to wire. If I have to have it where the power from the wall just charges the battery and the battery runs the device then that's fine as well. I would just imagine that the former method would result in a much smaller package.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 07/13/12 at 08:37:01

Well, you're mostly right.   Usually it depends on how much power the device requires and/or how long it is expected to operate without power (outage)?   For instance, emergency lighting may require substantial power, but may only need to run for 20 minutes until everyone has exited.  If your device is a tiny nano power type gadget that runs for years on a 2032 coin type power cell, then there's no need to rig a charging system.   On the other hand, if it's a lighting, noise making, or motorized device then it probably requires larger AAA or AA cell power, and rechargeables might make sense.

Most engineering projects go thru 4 distinct phases...

1) a clear problem definition (don't underestimate this; it sets your starting point for the rest of your solution)

2) a proposed solution with goals it will solve & achieve (i.e., a gadget)

3) a REQUIREMENTS phase where you decide the physical dimensions, power requirements, color, noise level, etc.

4) the DESIGN phase where you build one or more prototypes that meet or exceed the REQUIREMENTS you have defined.  These units are used for testing.  If they fail, then you may to restart step 4 or even go back to step 3 and rethink the project from a different approach.   Note, this is called empirical scientific method.

Keep in mind if you're applying AC directly to this gadget (rather than using a DC wall PS) it could be LETHAL!  Most power supplies use a small transformer which steps down the voltage, but also electrically isolates the circuit from the AC line.   You can apply direct AC (rectified, of course) to a circuit, but it can be tricky and DANGEROUS if you don't have a good understanding of AC/DC principles.

IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #14 - 07/13/12 at 21:34:01

Ok so i got to taching to a tech savvy friend of mine and he told me of a double-pole double-throw (dpdt) relay that I could use to switch from ac (wall) to dc (battery). this would enable me to not have to set it up with the battery charging off the wall. This relay would need to be a 3v relay and if at all possible a reed relay as well.

Also, I need to find a transformer of some kind that will convert 110v to 3v in a fairly small package. Im thinking possibly the kind of transformer that resides in a cell phone charger, small and compact and able to convert to such a small voltage. This same friend of mine gave that type of transformer a name but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:29:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Kind of a random topic

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.