Send Topic Print
10% ethanol (Read 386 times)
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 10% ethanol
Reply #15 - 07/14/12 at 16:16:36

Yes, the alcohol has less energy per volume than gasoline so your mileage on e10 will be less, much less on e85. Since there is less energy you are also running slightly leaner, going up to e15 or e20 like some politicians want could damage things like lawnmowers that were not designed for this level of alcohol, as well as start to damage the rubber pieces in older fuel systems and wreck a lot of air cooled carbureted (sp?) motorcycles.

The EFI cycles should mostly compensate for the leaner condition, but it still sucks.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 07/15/12 at 08:17:00

Drifter wrote on 07/14/12 at 07:27:29:
There are 27 or so different fuel blends being used in the US it seems with different weather altitude etc they react different with ethanol, i have personally cleaned a dozen carbs that were gummed up with this pshit, it also eats holes in fiberglass tanks, go to a marina and ask, or talk to an Ossa owner.  Use only Marine stabil or star tron!

10% equals 10% less mileage breaks down the oil film on the cyl wall!
uses more energy to produce it and causes grain prices to rise.....total SCAM!!    Angry

I think some of you should force yourselves out the stone age thinking......, back when the ethanol really was uncompatable w/ some of the fuel lines etc.
Fiberglass tanks in boats,......back in the 60s and 70s ?? Ok ! Roll Eyes

The fact is that everything in the last 20 yrs is compatable w/ E10, and gives no problems at all.   

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #17 - 07/15/12 at 08:52:41

My buddy has a 31' Bertram boat that was built in the late 70's that had a fiberglass tank that got destroyed by ethanol. The dissolved tank lining got through the filters and did a number on the internals of his engines also. These boats are very expensive and hardley considered "stone age". I understand that most newer equip addresses alcohol but you're naive if you think it does not do damage to engines that are being used today. Small engines that are not prepped for storage can be ruined.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #18 - 07/15/12 at 08:55:51

Routy wrote on 07/15/12 at 08:17:00:
Drifter wrote on 07/14/12 at 07:27:29:
There are 27 or so different fuel blends being used in the US it seems with different weather altitude etc they react different with ethanol, i have personally cleaned a dozen carbs that were gummed up with this pshit, it also eats holes in fiberglass tanks, go to a marina and ask, or talk to an Ossa owner.  Use only Marine stabil or star tron!

10% equals 10% less mileage breaks down the oil film on the cyl wall!
uses more energy to produce it and causes grain prices to rise.....total SCAM!!    Angry

I think some of you should force yourselves out the stone age thinking......, back when the ethanol really was uncompatable w/ some of the fuel lines etc.
Fiberglass tanks in boats,......back in the 60s and 70s ?? Ok ! Roll Eyes

The fact is that everything in the last 20 yrs is compatable w/ E10, and gives no problems at all.   

Routy I have to disagree. I work for an Outdoor Power Equipment dealer. One of the largest in Northern Kentucky with a customer base of near 15,000, commercial,residential,farm and municipal. We average seeing 30-50 2-cycle units alone each week that suffer from ethanol induced problems. Most of those problems are related to failed carbs due to alcohol in the fuel. Several of our commercial accounts are going to avgas for their 2-cycle equipment and all but eliminated fuel related issues.

On a smaller scale but growing steadily are the problems with 4-cycle engine of 10hp and under. Clogged carbs,scored cylinders,holed pistons are some of the bigger issues we see every day.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 07/15/12 at 12:44:48

I know just one thing for sure: With E10 I have to switch to reserve after about 80 miles. With real gas I don't.
In my opinion, ethanol stretched gas is nothing but a large scale scam to make up for increasingly more fuel efficient becoming vehicles.

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/15/12 at 16:43:30

All the gas in my area is 10% ethanol. And It's playing havoc on my bikes! Especially my wife's old 650 Yamaha Vstar.
There was a varnish issue, so when I had the bike serviced, and I had it re-jetted for a Hyper Charger intake. Just last week a jet was clogged and one cylinder firing with less then two weeks of putting in new jets and cleaning the carb because of simular issues.
Like others have said, If you let your bikes sit for more then a week or two ethanol can give you issues.
So far my 750 Honda and Savage seem to be surviving. But, Yeah, I'll drain my carb bowls and tank if I have to stop riding anytime soon for awhile.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 07/15/12 at 21:37:30

mojohand40 wrote on 07/15/12 at 16:43:30:
All the gas in my area is 10% ethanol. And It's playing havoc on my bikes! Especially my wife's old 650 Yamaha Vstar.
There was a varnish issue, so when I had the bike serviced, and I had it re-jetted for a Hyper Charger intake. Just last week a jet was clogged and one cylinder firing with less then two weeks of putting in new jets and cleaning the carb because of simular issues.
Like others have said, If you let your bikes sit for more then a week or two ethanol can give you issues.
So far my 750 Honda and Savage seem to be surviving. But, Yeah, I'll drain my carb bowls and tank if I have to stop riding anytime soon for awhile.

Is that why all my gas cans are coated inside w/ varnish !! Hum'mmm,
last time I looked, all my gas cans that sit winter after winter w/ E10 in them are spotless inside.
Fact is, todays gas does not varnish at all.

And isn't it amazing how the E10 knows if its a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke.
Oh, pardon me, is it the oil in the E10 gas that affects 2 strokes ??

And isn't it amazing how the E10 affects  4 strokes, 10 hp and smaller, but not 11 hp and larger.

Come on guys, get real ! Roll Eyes

Better yet, send some pics of all these late model carb that are just a terrible mess from E10 !  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 07/16/12 at 05:22:28

Is that why all my gas cans are coated inside w/ varnish !! Hum'mmm,
last time I looked, all my gas cans that sit winter after winter w/ E10 in them are spotless inside.
Fact is, todays gas does not varnish at all.

And isn't it amazing how the E10 knows if its a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke.
Oh, pardon me, is it the oil in the E10 gas that affects 2 strokes ??

And isn't it amazing how the E10 affects  4 strokes, 10 hp and smaller, but not 11 hp and larger.

Come on guys, get real ! Roll Eyes

Better yet, send some pics of all these late model carb that are just a terrible mess from E10 !  

[/quote]

Routy....E10 damage is very real.

Your sealed gas cans don't suffer any damage, as there is no evaporation of the gasoline or chance for humid air to reach the fuel.  The same cannot be said for the equipment that sits in sheds, barns or outside.  The temperature and humidity changes allow humidity to reach the air space in the tanks and carbs.....and this moisture is absorbed by the fuel and eventually enough moisture collects to cause problems.  Sure this kind of stuff happened even prior to E10 - but the onset of problems now occurs faster with E10.

The reason that E10 causes problems in 2 strokes faster than 4 strokes is that oil and water don't mix - and when enough moisture has collected in the ethanol it can cause the oil mix to settle out of the fuel (phase seperation).  This has been a problem for years and is not something that chainsaw manufacturers will cover under warranty.

I believe the reason that 10 HP and smaller 4 stroke engines are  affected more than the larger engines is that they use gravity systems without fuel pumps, and people don't normally use a fuel shut off even if the engine is equipped with one.  When the engine sits dormant the fuel in the float bowl begins to evaporate and it leaves behind a high concentration of ethanol.  As the float level drops more fuel enters the carb and the gasoline portion evaporates.....and this process repeats until about the only thing in the carb float bowl is ethanol.....and it is corrosive to the carbs.  On the larger engines with fuel pumps the flow of fuel to the carb stops when the engine is not running.....so the damage is less likely to occur.  The same is true of our motorcycles with the vacuum operated petcocks that stop the flow of fuel when the engine is not running.

Photos......I really haven't documented the carbs that I have repaired or replaced.  I first started working on small engines in 1973 when I worked at a Simplicity/Toro/Poulan dealership, and I have definetely noticed the shift in the repairs.  As you say the old fuel used to eventually turn into varnish, and after equipment sat for a long time we would have to clean fuel tanks and carbs, and replace the brittle fuel lines.  Now the engines have carbs that are corroded and not usually varnished up, and the fuel lines and rubber parts are dissolved and swelled.

I have a feeling that whatever our experience is.......your heels are dug in the sand deep enough that you will only be convinced when you eventually have some personal experience with ethanol damage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 07/16/12 at 06:32:43

Quote:
I have a feeling that whatever our experience is.......your heels are dug in the sand deep enough that you will only be convinced when you eventually have some personal experience with ethanol damage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are very correct.But I have this feeling that just the opposite is correct  on your part too.
I won't bore you w/ my vast knowledge and experience on this subject, having worked on fuel systems all my life, and still have enuff equipment (including my s-40) around here that sets winter after winter...."unsealed" to know that all these problems mentioned are not E10 related, but I'll just tell you, that your unsubstantieated hatred for E10, does not make it real, or will it make it go away anytime soon.

Rich
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #24 - 07/16/12 at 06:51:20

I myself have not seen any of these issues with e10 either.  Even in my lawn equipment when I forget to drain the tanks and carbs when they sit over the winter months.  I don't buy fuel from the one and only pure fuel station because they charge $0.60 more per gallon then anyone else in the area so I only use the e10 fuel, and I've never had an issue.

As a side not it doesn't get much more humid then where I live, I'm in east TX and live right on a lake, so I get the high temps and loads of humidity.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 07/16/12 at 07:09:11

I let the Suzy sit for 2 years, when I drained the bowl, what came out was green & smelled awful. Same with some other engine, but dang I cant remember which one now, anyway, let some sit that long & all thats left is some foul smellin green stuff,,

Boat owners down on the Gulf coast have trouble with the stuff. I really dont, & Yea, Ive abuse my chainsaws & they still fire up, tho, not real easy , ( *Note to self : Get those blasted things fired up, drain the fuel & fire them up again)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/16/12 at 17:54:48

Routy wrote on 07/16/12 at 06:32:43:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are very correct.But I have this feeling that just the opposite is correct  on your part too.
I won't bore you w/ my vast knowledge and experience on this subject, having worked on fuel systems all my life, and still have enuff equipment (including my s-40) around here that sets winter after winter...."unsealed" to know that all these problems mentioned are not E10 related, but I'll just tell you, that your unsubstantieated hatred for E10, does not make it real, or will it make it go away anytime soon.

Well.....lets just assume that the E10 fuel we get in Kentucky is more destructive that what you get in Oregon. That can be the only reasonable explanation.....our personal experience is vastly different.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/16/12 at 18:16:29

The last 3 tank fill ups have been with regular unleaded gas, no ethanol.  The mileage has improved about 6% over the 10% ethanol blend.  The difference in cost amounts to .35 cents a gallon.  Personally, I haven't noticed any difference in performance between the two products.  Because the CFN fuel farm is relatively close by, I'll continue to pay the additional .35 cents a gallon.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #28 - 07/17/12 at 06:18:28

SALB wrote on 07/12/12 at 20:15:47:
The old "HEET" fuel aditive was alcohol, and adding 10% ethanol adds 2 octane points to your gas.  The real problem with alcohol is when you add it to a fuel tank that has old gas or varnish.  It does a great job of breaking it loose, just to plug the fuel filter and carb down stream. Angry

I can't argue how E10 may affect old varnish etc that may have been left from the "yesterdecades" leaded gas......that really did leave varnish and Ka Ka...not only in the bowls, even in the venturis, and even the outsides of all carbs. But I believe we would have to be talking carbs dating back to the early 90s ??  
I will say I still use a 2 stroke tiller from that era that never gave any trouble,.....and is the same one that right now is running perfect on last year's 40:1 E10.
In reality, we have much less fuel related problems today than we did 30 yrs ago when leaded gas left nasty varnish deposits in anything that set unused for much length of time.    

Rich
  IP Logged
JonRob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/17/12 at 15:06:14

My 2 cents:  In Minnesota almost all of our fuel is E10.  However you can get "non-oxygenated" gasoline at 91-92 octane.  Right now its about 15% more expensive than E10.  I have had a lot of problems with E10 in my 2-cycle engines and other power equipment.  The problems is not condensation, to the contrary, as already posted HEET is methanol that removes moisture from fuel. The problem is oxidation of the Gas90 that occurs over time with ethanol and "gums" up the fuel system.  I also agree that E10 gets about 10-15% less fuel economy than premium gas.  However the S40 manual I have states that up to 10% ethanol is ok in the bike.  Personally I alway use non-oxygenated gas in my motorcycles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:24:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 10% ethanol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.