10% ethanol (Read 386 times)
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
10% ethanol
07/12/12 at 14:45:21

Rolled up to my BP gas pump today, and there was a paper sign taped to it ... "May contain as much as 10% ethanol." My initial thought was ... the fact that BP is telling me this indicates to me that it can't be good. I spoke with a good motorcycle mechanic, who was putting some ceramic pads on my front brakes, and he said alcohol in the gas can cause condensation, adding water to the tank. He has seen some damage because of that and recommended that I put an additive in with each fill-up to take care of any water. Anybody have any comment on that?

BTW: My dealer put metallic brake pads on my 2006 S40, and it sounded like I was running over a cat everytime I applied the brakes. I took it back, and they cut some little grooves in the pads, with the intention of fixing the squeal. Didn't work. The ceramics seem to have solved the problem. But will they last as long as metallic pads?

J2

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 10% ethanol
Reply #1 - 07/12/12 at 15:28:03

I can't even find a gas pump in my area without a sticker similar to the one you described, so all my fuel "may contain up to 10% ethanol".  I'm no expert but my gut feeling (and from what I've seen so far) is that if it's operated regularly, it's not going to be too much of an issue.  I just wish they would tell us exactly what the percentage is so we could make informed decisions and also to enable us to gauge fuel mileage better.  In any case, fuel stabilizers like Sta-Bil (the marine formulation is better) and Star-Tron are designed to help with this but add cost and are not convenient to carry around.  I add a fuel stabilizer to my 5-gallon gas can's contents because that's used for lawn equipment and may sit for longer periods.  I think/feel/hope that running my bike often enough will keep me from having any such issues with it.  If you anticipate going for an extended period without riding, I'd suggest adding fuel stabilizer to your tank and riding it around the block a couple times before parking it.  That way you have treated fuel throughout the system.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #2 - 07/12/12 at 15:50:21

Seems reasonable. It was the fact that the service station posted the fact that there is ethanol in the gas that made me pause. The mechanic I mentioned recommended the "Star" something or other additive, and he did say I should use this particularly if the bike will be parked for an extended period.
BTW: I worked radio in Dallas in the late 1960's (back when KLIF was indeed "The Mighty 1190," a McLendon top rocker. Big D was a fun town.

J2

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/12/12 at 19:36:14

Yeah, like we're all using an additive in all our E10 burners !
Be serious,.....I hope you don't fall for that BS.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/12/12 at 19:54:40

Put the gas in, get on, ride, if you are gonna park it for the winter, drain the carb bowl,, regardless of what kinda gas you have,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 07/12/12 at 20:15:47

The old "HEET" fuel aditive was alcohol, and adding 10% ethanol adds 2 octane points to your gas.  The real problem with alcohol is when you add it to a fuel tank that has old gas or varnish.  It does a great job of breaking it loose, just to plug the fuel filter and carb down stream. Angry

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #6 - 07/12/12 at 21:39:38

All of our gas here in the Peoples Republic of California is 10% my 09 S40 has run on nothing else its whole life 10600 miles and does just fine. No worrys, this 8.5 to one bike will run on about anything you put in it.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #7 - 07/13/12 at 06:33:13

I believe that the ethanol causes most of its damage when it sit in fuel for any amount of time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/13/12 at 07:10:44

IDK if its still an issue, but on some FI bikes, the ethanol attacked the hoses inside the tank with the FI pump. Its not nice to rubber that isnt specifically meant to work with ethanol. The accelerator pump on the Kawasaki was eaten smoooth UP, blasted thing is the size of a quarter & cost about $40.00,, Daaaang.. . & down on the coast, the boats sit for a long time sometimes & the gas literally stratifies, separates into layers & causes much pain for owners, but, Ive seen no damage to the Zuki, its holding up fine, just top off the fuel if youre gonna park it long term,& if its REal long term, drain it & use that stuff in something with a big enough tank to spread out & not bother anything,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/13/12 at 07:25:47

I have been an active anti-ethanol guy for years.  The 10% ethanol fuel is not a problem in cars or motorcyles that are driven regularly and the fuel is used up frequently.  In equipment that sits for extended periods it can be very destructive.  Chain saws, tillers, generators or anything that could sit for months without using up the fuel has the potential for damage.  How fast the fuel goes bad is open for debate and would depend on the humidity, temperature swings, inside/outside storage, etc.  My Stihl chainsaw manual recommends that you drain the tank and run the engine out of fuel if it will be stored for more than 2 months.

Bottom line for me is......my regular drivers get ethanol tainted pump gas at every fill up and it doesn't cause any problems.  My lawn equipment gets ethanol free fuel that I drive an hour to get and buy in a 55 gallon drum that lasts me all year.  I also use ethanol free fuel in my Trials motorcycle, as the ethanol fuel swells the nylon fuel tank and makes it soft and squishy!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/13/12 at 10:20:44

If ethanol caused NO problems with equipment, I would still be against it,

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/14/12 at 07:15:14

Quote:
In equipment that sits for extended periods it can be very destructive.  Chain saws, tillers, generators or anything that could sit for months without using up the fuel has the potential for damage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prove it !
I have proved just the opposite,....posted pics here of the inside of a carb bowl that has been burning E10 for 4 yrs, and that sets all winter long, and it was spotless.

I've just been using a small 2 stroke tiller that not only set every winter, but is now running on last years 40:1 E10,......it still start on the 2nd pull and runs perfect.
But, believe what you want to, and do whatever work I guess.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/14/12 at 07:27:29

There are 27 or so different fuel blends being used in the US it seems with different weather altitude etc they react different with ethanol, i have personally cleaned a dozen carbs that were gummed up with this pshit, it also eats holes in fiberglass tanks, go to a marina and ask, or talk to an Ossa owner.  Use only Marine stabil or star tron!

10% equals 10% less mileage breaks down the oil film on the cyl wall!
uses more energy to produce it and causes grain prices to rise.....total SCAM!!    Angry

IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/14/12 at 10:14:28

Drifter wrote on 07/14/12 at 07:27:29:
There are 27 or so different fuel blends being used in the US it seems with different weather altitude etc they react different with ethanol, i have personally cleaned a dozen carbs that were gummed up with this pshit, it also eats holes in fiberglass tanks, go to a marina and ask, or talk to an Ossa owner.  Use only Marine stabil or star tron!

10% equals 10% less mileage breaks down the oil film on the cyl wall!
uses more energy to produce it and causes grain prices to rise.....total SCAM!!    Angry

+1, I've done 3 tank MPG comparisons (E10 -vs- clear 92) and have gotten 10% (or more) better MPG EVERY time with clear gas on 3 different bikes. I usually run E10 all summer because clear gas costs more than 10% more $$$ than E10 here. But I start filling with clear gas when winter starts so I don't have to worry about adding stabilizers, I still ride most of the winter, just not as much.

For anyone interested, do a search for "clear gas" in your area, you'll probably be able to find more than you think. Here, the law says it's only for watercraft, off road vehicles, etc, but the actual attendants have no problem putting it in your car or MC.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/14/12 at 13:08:28

Routy wrote on 07/14/12 at 07:15:14:
Quote:
In equipment that sits for extended periods it can be very destructive.  Chain saws, tillers, generators or anything that could sit for months without using up the fuel has the potential for damage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prove it !
I have proved just the opposite,....posted pics here of the inside of a carb bowl that has been burning E10 for 4 yrs, and that sets all winter long, and it was spotless.

I've just been using a small 2 stroke tiller that not only set every winter, but is now running on last years 40:1 E10,......it still start on the 2nd pull and runs perfect.
But, believe what you want to, and do whatever work I guess.

What kind of proof would you like?  Pictures.....or should I send you the dissolved fuel lines, corroded aluminum parts, rusty tanks?  I personally have very little problems - but I have repaired a lot of ethanol damage for neighbors and a contractor friend of mine.  Equipment that sits in unheated sheds or garages are far more apt to have problems than equipment that sits in an insulated building.  The wild temperature swings and humdity changes accelerate the onset of problems.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 10% ethanol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.