New Exhaust Options (Read 149 times)
Ratchet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Exhaust Options
07/10/12 at 06:12:10

Gudday,

I'm in the process of customising my LS650 - which means changing the exhaust, among other things. Two problems seem to arise though;

1. 2" pipes are BIG, not many of the mufflers I like/want come in the right size.

and

2. In NZ you have to keep exhaust noise down to 100dB or lower.

I was at one point thinking of just taking the muffler off and putting a baffle in the pipe but I don't know whether that'll pass inspection noise-wise. Anyone got any experience with changing their exhaust under similar restrictions?

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: New Exhaust Options
Reply #1 - 07/10/12 at 09:32:05

Do you have any local shops that work on Harley Davidsons?  Check the tech section and you'll find entire threads dedicated to different mufflers that fit well.  The most common is the Harley Dyna muffler with a rail type mount.  It is more open, but the sound is still modest.  It's also MUCH lighter than the stock muffler, and it bolts right on!  You won't be able to use a standard exhaust gasket, but there are a few options for trying to make one.

This is one of many threads:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/10/12 at 10:41:58

The Ryca guys also sell a reverse cone muffler made by Emgo for their kits. It's $60 us. from them, but you can find the same mufflers elsewhere as well. Might be a local supply there in NZ?

http://shop.rycamotors.com/short_muffler.html

Theirs connects with an adapter that they sell for $45, but you could probably have something made up for much less at a local muffler shop.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/exhaust_adapter.html

Even still, for both parts, it's $105 us. brand new, and that's not bad.

These are a bit louder than the Dyna; you'd have to ask them about the exact noise levels, but as you can see, they can be disassembled and fresh packing added to reduce the noise. I'm sure they would pass with added packing... Something that's also easily found at any auto shop.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/10/12 at 10:43:06

I have no idea what 100 db sounds like.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/10/12 at 10:45:53

Ratchet wrote on 07/10/12 at 06:12:10:
1. 2" pipes are BIG...

Remember; the Savage muffler is much larger outside than it is inside. It's 2" outside, but only about 1&1/4" inside. Pull off your stock muffler and measure the exact size of the inner diameter, and then do your shopping based on that...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/10/12 at 11:41:09

teabowl13 wrote on 07/10/12 at 10:45:53:
Ratchet wrote on 07/10/12 at 06:12:10:
1. 2" pipes are BIG...

Remember; the Savage muffler is much larger outside than it is inside. It's 2" outside, but only about 1&1/4" inside. Pull off your stock muffler and measure the exact size of the inner diameter, and then do your shopping based on that...

I got those measurements around here somewhere.....but it is a bit less than 1-3/4" where the muffler clamps onto the header.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 07/10/12 at 12:22:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/10/12 at 10:43:06:
I have no idea what 100 db sounds like.

It's about like this here...    HEY JOG, I'M YELLING RIGHT NOW!    Grin

Seriously, it's about like a jackhammer in a construction zone with you standing perhaps 50 feet away.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 07/10/12 at 12:28:05

Is that 100 db at idle or at WOT.
100 db is pretty loud.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/10/12 at 12:28:08

WWW   IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #9 - 07/10/12 at 12:56:06

how does the emgo mount up using the stock bracket? does it just hang? Or does something need to be fabbed up to make it work? I'm debating putting a dyna on but the shops around me want around 80 or so bucks to put it on. I figure I might as well get the Emgo from Ryca for that price.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/10/12 at 22:36:42

Then a Supertrapp w/ 14 disks would pass the 100 db test? IDK,, I can Make it be loud as heck,, by rackin it off,, or, I can ride past a Hospital & not worry Im disturbing the patients, How the wrist is used makes a big difference in how noisy the thing is, & whether or not the engine is used for braking,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ratchet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/10/12 at 22:57:46

The test reading is taken from the exhaust at mid-range revs. I'm guessing then most mufflers should do it, I was just worried cause I didn't realise that the header pipe gets smaller when it connects to the muffler...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/10/12 at 23:32:57

Theres a pipe in a pipe. I cut the center pipe out, & had the header welded back together, Been that way for years, its holding up fine,

If I had it all to do over, Id go to a muffler shop & have a piece of exhaust bent to match the header & have a Reverse Cone welded in at the head end,
Once the pipe rusted a bit, Id wipe it with Ospho. I think it would look good.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 07/11/12 at 05:50:13

The Emgo muffler is pretty loud and I have no doubt that it will not pass the 100d test that you must meet.
I would suggest that you go with a Supertrapp so you can use the discs to adjust the sound level.  Go pass the test and if you just happen to loose a couple of discs on the way home then I suppose you will just have to deal with that by jetting & adjusting your carb to compensate.   Roll Eyes

A suggestion though...do not order the Supertrapp that is listed for motorcycles; instead go to the auto parts supplier Summit Racing at www.summitracing.com.  They have Supertrapp mufflers there for much less.  In their Jan/Feb catalog they list:
SUP-449-2018  S/C Standard 2" inlet, 4"x18.5" ...........$150.95
or
SUP-443-1717 S/C Elite Satin (stainless steel) 1.75" inlet, 4"x17" .............. $184.95

The stainless is not polished but the price is right.
The standard is plain steel and painted black.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:25:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Exhaust Options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.