Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How not to Store a Bike.. (Read 118 times)
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
How not to Store a Bike..
07/09/12 at 05:39:30

So I get a call from my Dad saying he's moving and would I like his Kwack... Yeah why not.. I know he's not riden it for years but he looks after things..... It only has 4K on the clock and is mint... But.... He left fuel in the tank and it's more rusty on the inside than a rusty thing on a rusty day... ... I've cleaned the carbs of junk and it fires up if I bypass the tank but even with filters it's so rusty it just clogs up again... I've search all over for a replacement tank.. It's now here in my living room much to my wifes joy.. Roll Eyes Whilst I decide how to clean it up... been doing loads of reading.... Any Ideas.?

rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: How not to Store a Bike..
Reply #1 - 07/09/12 at 05:43:24

You could do an acid wash on the tank the reseal it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 07/09/12 at 06:44:04

I was battling the same problem on my 1976 Honda CB.  I eventually used "Klean Strip Prep 'n Etch"  Which dissolves rust and leaves a zinc phosphate coating.  I'm not sure what the equivalent is in the UK, but I got a gallon of the stuff at Home Depot, painting department.

I think leaving vinegar in the tank for a few days will also take care of the rust. Also, there's the trick of rattling a few nuts and bolts in the tank to chip out the larger pieces of rust.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/09/12 at 07:42:38

Ever seen a bulging quarterpanel on a car? I have, took a few hard turn with something heavy & loose in the trunk,, Beat a dent in them, from the inside,, which looks a lot like a lump on the outside,
Be careful how heavy the stuff you use is & how hard ya slosh it, The more angular the shape, the better,.
Id think some small nuts for carriage bolts, the el cheapo square ones, would chisel the crud loose pretty good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 07/09/12 at 16:48:52

I have used a piece of small chain in a tank to knock the rust loose and then did the acid wash to pull the rest out of the tank. Phosphoric acid will work, dump a liter of Pepsi or Coke in the tank and let it sit overnight.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/09/12 at 21:39:04

Once the scale is out & its just one layer of rust, Ospho , a dilute phosphoric acid, will turn the iron oxide to iron phosphate, No More rust,, Just a cup , swished around, do that a couple of times,

Ospho, available @ Kelly -Moore paints, I dont like the gel stuff at all.,.
Last time I did it,m it was 12 bux a quart. Im out, so, Its time for more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:29:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › How not to Store a Bike..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.