Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2013 The End of the Savage?  Maybe not? (Read 419 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2013 The End of the Savage?  Maybe not?
07/06/12 at 10:22:04

With 2012 being the end of carb street bikes maybe not?? What does the very near future hold in store for for the savage?  Will Suzuki do the right thing and add FI maybe create some new models using this engine like a cafe, bobber or bagger or a street scrambler...... This works well for HD and Triumph..... Roll Eyes  This bike has a rep and street cred all over the world it would be a shame to let it die!!    Sad

Anyone heard any rumors?  Anyone on here from Japan wanting to leak a little secret???  Tell us a FI savage is comming soon!

I was reading on motorcycle daily that Kawasaki is returning the KLR 650 with a carb, not sure how they are meeting the new epa reg. maybe a serious cat of some kind.  If Kawi can figure it out Suzuki should also. Maybe there is still life for the old carbed girl.

It would cost very little for suzuki to add FI maybe a bigger tank and a trip meter, far less than developing a new bike.

If you want them to keep the bike chime in and tell them why!   Cool

« Last Edit: 07/09/12 at 11:39:47 by Drifter »  
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2013 The End of the Savage/S40 Say it Aint So!
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 10:26:07

I'd say if sales of the TU250X went well over here they might consider it... but I don't know if they have or not. A TU650X would be a NO BRAINER in my book, but who knows? The Triumphs seem to be popular, but Kawi didn't sell too many of their WR650's, so they dropped them. Now they are collectable... Go figure!!

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 10:30:39

Oh, this year is the last year for carbed bikes, for realz?  I didn't realize.  I knew most, if not all, bikes had cats on them now.

Interesting, and sad.  I like simple bikes, and the simple cars and trucks of yesterday, for that matter.  :'(

Time to stock up on the oldies while they're still cheap!  Wink

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 07/06/12 at 12:35:30

I personally hope Suzuki does add fuel injection and keeps the LS 650 alive and well for another 25 years.  Despite the flaws, of which we are all aware, the overall design has a lot of longevity, flexibility, relative ease of maintenance and repair, and just plain classic good lines and great fun.  LONG LIVE THE SAVAGE NATION!!!!!!!!
Smiley

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/07/12 at 15:22:31

Teadowl, i think the reason the w650 did not sell well was due to the 6500 price tag.  They sold alot better in europe than here.. it was overpriced compared to other bikes on the market. We all know most metric owners are cheap... Wink

What i have been reading of late suzuki is not in great shape, especially the auto division, they are consedering dropping out of the US market.  That being said it should be even more reason to upgrade an existing model like the savage which has sold well for decades....

BTW are you a Tebow fan?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/07/12 at 16:00:11

If they go EFI,.. they might as well quit making the Savage,...I don't want one...
I can handle a carb... EFI has too many sensors and whatnot's... Huh...

Oxygen, MAP, TPI, fuel pump, cat... I pull it all, and put a carb back on it... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/07/12 at 16:23:23

Serowbot wrote on 07/07/12 at 16:00:11:
If they go EFI,.. they might as well quit making the Savage,...I don't want one... I can handle a carb... EFI has too many sensors and whatnot's... Huh... Oxygen, MAP, TPI, fuel pump, cat... I pull it all, and put a carb back on it... Grin...

People said the same thing of cars in the mid 1970's when EPA mandated catallytic converters, smog pumps, and leaner burning engines.

I think we all will survive. Besides, I have never owned a new vehicle until 2007 (wife's new 2007 car). I'd rather fix up an older bike and have something looking new after repair and paint to sport with.  Smiley

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 07/07/12 at 16:55:18

They haven't had to put any R&D into it since '05, when they changed the bars and that was minimal. When they changed it from a 4spd to a 5spd, the R&D was still not major. The R&D for fuel injection  has pretty much been taken care of with the 250.
So they don't really have a reason for discontinuing it, as long as they still sell, and they don't seem to stay on the floor very long at the two dealers in London that carry them, although I don't see very many on the roads.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
s40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/07/12 at 17:43:30

the s40 is sold world wide. I think the s40 savage will be around for awhile.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 07/07/12 at 18:10:06

arteacher wrote on 07/07/12 at 16:55:18:
They haven't had to put any R&D into it since '05, when they changed the bars and that was minimal. When they changed it from a 4spd to a 5spd, the R&D was still not major. The R&D for fuel injection  has pretty much been taken care of with the 250.
So they don't really have a reason for discontinuing it, as long as they still sell, and they don't seem to stay on the floor very long at the two dealers in London that carry them, although I don't see very many on the roads.

Same here. None of the dealers have them in stock and all have a waiting list!  Something that popular .....

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/07/12 at 18:47:31

The dealer in Lake Geneva Wi. who I've know for 40 years have hardly any Honda's or Suzuki's on the floor but a lot of Kawasaki's,because Kawasaki is the only one that will but them on the floor without him paying for them. He doesn't sell Yamaha's.The S40 isn't a very good selling bike around here when Suzuki did floor them he only got 2 a year.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 07/07/12 at 19:57:22

Dealer here has a new on the floor.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 07/07/12 at 20:02:50

Myself I wouldn't mind a F.I. version.  I actually kinda like F.I. systems, plus with the efi they would probably put a bigger fuel tank on the savage finally Smiley

They would most likely also upgrade the charging system, to put out a little more juice, since it would be running an additional load.  If I remember correctly from reading here, what is on the Savage stock for the charging system doesn't leave much room to add much accessory wise, much less a power hungry efi system

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/07/12 at 20:50:03

When I bought mine in 98 the dealer said that each US dealership at that time got a maximum of 2 Savages a year. He had 8 on the showroom floor, couldn't hardly give them away. Most people stateside who wanted obsolete (aircooled carbed) technology bought Harleys.

Suzuki kind of shot itself in the foot with the name change to Boulevard with minimal changes to the bikes themselves. A VS700 from the early 80s looks just like an S50. A first year VS1400 looks just like an S83. The old LC1500 flew off the showroom floor, C90Ts tend to sit around gathering dust.

It may be time to just bid it a fond farewell as a showroom new model. What's next if they go to EFI on it, liquid cooling? Pass...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/08/12 at 03:24:03

Hmm, they don't sell all that well in New Zealand, about twenty second hand in dealers throughout the country on the NZ equivalent of EBAY, only one dealer advertising a new one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:30:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2013 The End of the Savage?  Maybe not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.