Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low mileage Savage to-do list? (Read 84 times)
Sevesteen
YaBB Newbies

Dayton, Ohio
Low mileage Savage to-do list?
07/04/12 at 15:04:12

I just bought an 87 Savage with under 1,800 miles.  Other than an oil change and tires, is there anything else I should specifically look at to avoid problems or danger down the line?    

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Low mileage Savage to-do list?
Reply #1 - 07/04/12 at 15:11:10

with it being such a low mileage bike at that age, it's probably seen alot of short trips and long term storage.  I would suggest pulling the carb and doing a good through cleaning.  Check the Tank for signs of varnish and clean is necessary. Put a paper element type fuel filter on. Pull clutch cover and check the chain tensioner since this bike has seen lots of short trips. Most likely you will have to either rebuild the stock petcock or replace with the raptor petcock and plug off the vacuum port on the carb. Check the valve clearance and adjust as necessary.

That's all I can think of for now.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/04/12 at 15:27:48

with that low a mileage, I wouldn't worry about the cam chain, maybe around 5k miles I'd look at it, but not now.

varnish, petcock, crud in the tank, sticky carb are your main worries.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/04/12 at 15:30:42

If it runs put some Sea Foam in the gas and oil,I should clean it up.Be sure to use a motorcycle oil there made for air cooled motors.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/04/12 at 15:38:23

I bought a leftover new '87 back in '88. It made it to just past 35k in '95 when the starter kicked back & broke the case. Angry Back then there was nothing like this site to get info from.

If I had a cherry old 4 speed I would do the starter drive modification & the timing chain tensioner mod for sure. I would also put a raptor petcock on it.  Smiley

After that the only way to get it from me would be after I was dead. A properly modded 4 speed would be my ideal Savage. 5th gear is highly over rated. Cool

BTW, in '88 a leftover '87 went for just $2400 new, & 88s' sold for $2800. A buddy with a 750 Honda went with me when I bought mine, & after a test ride he bought one too. Mine was black cherry & his was black. We had a lot of fun with those 2 bikes. Oh, the 750?, he sold it a week after getting the Savage. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Sevesteen
YaBB Newbies

Dayton, Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/04/12 at 17:04:53

[quote author=0A313C3F3D0A2D36363D2A696B580 link=1341439452/0#4 date=1341441503]

If I had a cherry old 4 speed I would do the starter drive modification & the timing chain tensioner mod for sure. I would also put a raptor petcock on it.  Smiley

Is there a link to the starter drive mod?  Google isn't helping, and the only thing a forum search is bringing up is this post I'm replying to...

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/04/12 at 17:11:27

Look for starter gear upgrade in the tech section. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 07/04/12 at 17:36:52

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:29:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low mileage Savage to-do list?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.