Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shift Lever Pawl Position (Read 138 times)
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shift Lever Pawl Position
06/24/12 at 16:18:01

Hello all, I had an oil leak from the shift lever oil seal and took the cover off to replace the seal.  When removing the cover the shift lever came with it.  I want to make sure I have it in the proper position.  The bike was in neutral before removing the cover.  

Can someone verify the correct position it should be in for neutral.  The pic below shows where it seemed to want to go....but I am suspicious.

Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Shift Lever Pawl Position
Reply #1 - 06/24/12 at 16:25:47

Ive never been in there, but if I was doin it w/o someone there who KNEW for sure, thats how Id do it. Now, Id put a rag on the teeth & grab it with vise grips & shift it. Or, Id look at the manual, surely you didnt walk off in there without one,, did ya?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/24/12 at 16:55:56

I always heard the middle teeth should line up together. Huh
I always wondered what that meant.
Now I do.

I'm guessin' you got it right.

WWW   IP Logged
Flemming from Denmark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/24/12 at 17:03:19

Placed in same position as mine - And I have all 5 gears Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/24/12 at 18:28:14

Flemming from Denmark wrote on 06/24/12 at 17:03:19:
Placed in same position as mine - And I have all 5 gears Smiley

& that aint bad for guy runnin a 4 speed!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/24/12 at 19:24:14

Thanks all.  I did read up thoroughly via the clymers manual about the transmission and gear selector and the removal of the cover before diving in.....it showed the abilty to remove the cover while the gear shifter stayed in place.  So fyi, at least in my case we can add this to the list of inaccuracies.  

It seems like someone tried this prior.  My cover is really gouged in and around the seal area.  The seal ripped badly after attempting to get it out.  Cant get it out of the perimeter area..... Angry This not sure if it is salvagable.  

This hasnt gone well.  If i come up with a fantastic solution to the issue i will certainly post for anyone that would find themselves in the same perdicament.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/24/12 at 19:28:05

POst pics of what youre fighting, maybe we can help.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 10:34:44

I got the seal replaced, I ended up taking down the blade width of  a standard screw driver and squaring the front off to make sure it was blunt and used it to carefully drive the broken seal out.  Took a while and was tedious but worked well and the cover doesn't have any scarring from it.  A 19/32 socket was a good size to drive the new seal in.  Put everything back together and the last bolt to tighten down was the bottom front (with the locating dowel).....and low and behold I feel it come loose  Angry   (I looked through Clymer's and wasn't seeing a torque spec for this cover so I went with 7ft/lb.)  

So after a bit of investigation and thoughts of where the get the appropriate heli-coil I see something that I wanted to share.  The engine case is threaded pretty deeply, much more than needed.  I don't know if this goes for other parts of the engine but the threads for this cover seem to extend back farther than needed so I am going to grab a longer bolt and that should solve this problem.  I see the lost threads were at the front so I cleaned it out and threaded the bolt into the hole with no cover and it catches fine.  

Knowing that the aluminium was so soft did Suzuki throw their technicians a bone and build a safety of sorts into the case.  Maybe this is a secret the Suzuki technicians know but isn't advertised?  Thought it was interesting.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/25/12 at 11:07:23

A 1/4" ratchet is easier to use & not so likely to twist threads out. Use fingers & wrist, not the arm, & go slow & FEEL of the feedback from the threads. You should be able to feel it come tight,
Its better to have a little leak & have to tighten them again than twist something to death,,

Also, bring all bolts down to contact, then work everything down like torquing a head, cross tightening, no hurry, its better to hit every bolt 5 times than have to fix a ripped out thread, I use a nut driver to get every bolt "Landed", then I put a twist on them with a ratchet & keep going back & forth till I feel them start to resist, then I go Sloooow & feel each one as it pulls tite, I havent wrecked any threads in years,,
I even still have the OEM bolts in the valve covers.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 06/25/12 at 12:49:13

verslagen1 wrote on 06/24/12 at 16:55:56:
I always heard the middle teeth should line up together. Huh
I always wondered what that meant.
Now I do.

I'm guessin' you got it right.

Bout time somebody taught verslagen something about this bike that he didn't know!   Wink   scuba gets a thumbs up! Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/25/12 at 13:34:24

BH you just reminded me of something... last person to have this off, had a problem with that washer.  It's backed up with a retaining ring that just pinches on there.  You might check the axle freeplay before you torque the cover down.  you don't want to much in and out freeplay or the gears will become disengaged.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 06/25/12 at 15:47:46

Since these members must return to center in any gear, it seems optimized because there is a tooth/cog both above and below the current position shown.   Lift the back tire (frame jack), and place the shift lever on the shaft to see if you can go thru all gears while jiggling the rear tire.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/25/12 at 17:37:54

Update, it dawned on me that it wasn't just the soft aluminium to blame....when I put the bolts back in I forgot to use antiseize.  I am usually religious about that and just didn't do it this time.  I imagine that could have been a factor.

Cover is back on and all seems well, Oil is in and it isn't on the floor Smiley

I replaced the 30mm stock bolt with a 40mm for my problem hole and it went in smoothly.  

I wanted to ride today.. so this morning I was rushing.  Guess I go down as another victim of the rushed repair that should have been 30 minutes but ended up in the 3 hour range after a lunch break and trip for the replacement bolt.  

Great thought on the freeplay.  I have it all buttoned up so I don't have a measurement...doesn't seems to be any different than before.  Minimal movement.  What would you think the acceptable limit would be?

Thanks again

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:24:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shift Lever Pawl Position

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.