Cable lengths? (Read 124 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Cable lengths?
02/06/12 at 14:24:38

I have an 05 with the stock drag bars on pullback risers, I am switching bars and will need different cables/hoses and need to know if anybody knows how much longer the cables/hoses are from an earlier bike with the buckhorn bars.

Specifically looking for the difference in lengths of the Clutch Cable, Throttle Cable & Front Brake Hose.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Cable lengths?
Reply #1 - 02/06/12 at 15:06:59

Clutch and brake cables are about four inches longer on early bikes. I believe there have been three different throttle cables over the years, so can't help you there. Depending on how much taller your bars are you might be able to re-rout them.
I put 'Frisco bars on with old style risers and only had to change the brake hose.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/07/12 at 03:08:51

Put the new bars with hand controls on the bike and remove the fuel tank.
Then using a piece of wire or cord, measure the length from the lever/throttle on the bar along the exact route you want the cable or brake line to run along the frame, etc.
Mark the length on the wire/cord, then lay it out on a flat surface and measure it to within 1/2".  
That is the length you need to order from your favorite custom cable maker.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 02/07/12 at 06:26:26

I pulled the stock drag bars & risers off & disassembled the pullback risers so that I can use them as shorty risers mounted right to the triple trees.

I was able to attach the throttle grip so that it would work after re-routing it behind the triple trees, but think I would be more comfortable if it was a few inches longer. (did not have a chance to check clearances with bars turned each direction)

I was unable to attach the front brake or clutch to the bars in the current configuration, even after re-routing them behind the triple trees, so I will have to unhook the clutch cable from the engine and the brake hose from the caliper to determine how much longer they will need to be.

Just hoping that I can pickup some pre-2005 cables for less $$$ than having to have custom cables made.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 02/07/12 at 06:45:01

Well, gee. I just took my 2002 throttle cable off cause I switched carbs.

If you would like, I can measure it for you later today.

It is yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. I think $5 for shipping (wild guess) beats $40 for a custom cable.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 02/07/12 at 07:52:29

spacepirates wrote on 02/07/12 at 06:45:01:
Well, gee. I just took my 2002 throttle cable off cause I switched carbs.

If you would like, I can measure it for you later today.

It is yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. I think $5 for shipping (wild guess) beats $40 for a custom cable.

PM sent, and thanks to LANCER and arteacher for the added info. I think some pre-2005 cables will fill my need, but I will be replacing the front brake line with new for safety's sake.

IP Logged
giltzer3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/25/12 at 18:51:49

So i am new to motorcycles in general and i just ordered a set of ape hanger handlebars Dimensions 16" High, 35" Wide, 7" Pullback, 8" Center. i have a 2012 s40 can anyone tell me what size length cables i should get just by this information? I see the posts on how to measure but im still worried im not going to measure correctly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:23:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cable lengths?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.