Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thanks, everyone! (Read 203 times)
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Thanks, everyone!
06/23/12 at 16:10:58

I'd like to take my first post and make it a big "Thank you" to everyone on this forum.  I've been mulling over buying myself a new motorcycle for the past few years and finally took the chance on a used 2005 S40, after lurking as a guest on this forum for the past year or so.  The S40 first really came to my attention after reading about the Ryca CS-1.  A crusier style bike has never been my sort of thing, but so far this one is very comfortable and I'm really digging the big single.

After purchasing the bike and getting it out on the highway, I was noticing a really annoying sound from the final drive, which had me a little concerned that it might be bearings or something.  I had noticed a bit of a squeak while test driving the bike, but wrote it off to the belt drive.  I've owned several bikes over the past 20 years and have borrowed several more, but this is the first time I've ever dealt with a belt drive and wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  After reading several posts about how to solve issues with the belt drive I sat down today and put together a wooden bike lift made out of a couple of 3' long pieces of 2x8, adjusted the belt using the 90° trick, ignored the swingarm marks and centered the rear wheel using a metal yardstick with pencils tightly rubber banded to it (cribbed from someone's great idea of using a bar compass), and beveled the edge of the belt using a small orbital sander.

After taking it out for a spin today, there's no noise at all... and every piece of knowledge to correct the issue came from this site.

I also did the #7 rubber stopper mod to the front seat mount, but I don't know whether or not it's made a difference yet, will have to wait for a less rainy day for that.

Next up is an oil and filter change, and before too long I think I'm going to crack open the side of the engine so I can take a look at the chain tensioner and probably order myself a Verslavy.  I just figured I would check to see what's in there before I put myself on the list.

Anyway, thanks a bunch everyone.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Re: Thanks, everyone!
Reply #1 - 06/23/12 at 16:12:44

Also, here's a photo of the new bike, not that you guys haven't seen thousands of bone-stock bikes before...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/23/12 at 17:00:09

Wheres the other mirror?
How many miles?

Looks good on this side,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #3 - 06/23/12 at 17:15:03

The mirror bracket is broken on the right side and victim of running into a car mirror, apparently. there's no significant damage anywhere that would make me thing it had ever been dropped, just a couple of very minor chips in the paint.  The exhaust looks brand new, aside from a little bit of rust at the tip.  The shifter was slightly bent when I bought it, but I've already straightened that out.  It had exactly 23000 miles when I bought it.

Overall it was in much better shape than any of the other S40s (or other bikes, for that matter) that I had looked at in the price range.  The PO was asking $2200, I paid $1900.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/23/12 at 19:03:19

You otta call & ask if the cam chain has been replaced, if not, I wouldnt start it again till I looked in there,, BUt, at 23,000, Id bet its been done,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #5 - 06/23/12 at 23:01:33

There is no troublesome noise from that side of the engine, if anything just a minor rattle that shows up when shifting... I know that this is evidence of it needing attention, but it doesn't sound like it is something that will demand replacement immediately.  For the most part I'm only going to be commuting five miles or so on non-rainy days here in Florida, so I figure I have a little bit of time to worry about it.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #6 - 06/24/12 at 01:53:29

Always pumped to see a pic of an S40/LS650...l then realize I own the bike and just like how much it looks. Love that 19' front tire.

This site does wonders... I'm with you. The bike comes with this community and that is NEVER factored into the asking price. Yet it saves 100's maybe even more of dollars, and adds for some serious entertainment!

Ride on.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #7 - 07/11/12 at 13:24:20

I took the opportunity over the weekend to check out the cam chain tensioner and it is indeed a bit further out than I had hoped...  I ended up shipping it out to verslagen on Monday for modification.  The bike is unfortunately going to have to sit around for a few weeks.  Fortunately I also put new tires and brakes on my girlfriend's bike over the weekend, so I can ride that for now.  Wink

IMG_3998.jpg
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 07/11/12 at 14:51:37

well it looks like you are well on your way. That seems like a lot of miles for an '05. My 2000 only has 9K on the clock, but I baby her. I wouldnt worry about those miles though because you seem like you know what you are doing, and finding this site gets you 90% of the way there.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 07/11/12 at 15:21:00

Congratulations on your new bike!  Yeah, that tensioner is in need of modding.  You'll be glad you did it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #10 - 07/24/12 at 20:31:57

My verslavy showed up in the mail today, the first thing I noticed (aside from the obvious quality of the mod, of course) was that it's now monogrammed with my initials... nice touch.  The first thing I did was sneak out of work early so that I could head home and put the bike back together.  So far so good.

I still have a little bit of noise that sounds unusual to me, might be valve noise (might be normal, from what I've read), so I'm probably going take a look at that next.

new_tensioner.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/25/12 at 18:37:06

Nice lookin job dobbin that tab on there, Versy..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/25/12 at 19:08:39

yep, that there is a perty one.
black case really sets it off.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thanks, everyone!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.