Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doomed to be uncomfortable? (Read 553 times)
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Doomed to be uncomfortable?
06/22/12 at 16:26:22

Okay, so maybe "doomed" is too strong of a word. I was kind of hoping that it would grab some folks attention. Hopefully it will!

Here's the scenario: I swapped out my handlebars around a month ago. Great decision!  Much added comfort for my arms, upperback\neck, and shoulders. No more pain!

Now I have a different predicament. I'm 6'0, with 40inches of the 72 being leg. While my upper half is fine, I'm now discovering more and more that my set is uncomfortable. My upper butt gets sore after around 30 minutes or so. From what I can tell, I need to take some off the back of the seat, widen it out, and raise it up. But my legs are also cramped. I've heard rave reviews about routy's fc's, but will 6 inches do it for me? Any ideas on what to do on the seat part?  I'm starting to wonder if I should just get a bike that is physically bigger and go that route, or if there are other mods that I can do to the bike. I like the bike. It's great for hwys and the occasional interstate ride (although the vibration above 70 is a killer). The size is decent. I'm basically trying to figure out if I should "sink" some money into it\stick with it until after all mods are done, or if I should get a bigger bike?

I don't know if it will affect(effect?) things, but I'm a even 200 lbs.

Thank you in advance to all. I like the bike but also want to have one I can keep for the long haul (I've put 3k on it in 5 months).

JC

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Doomed to be uncomfortable?
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 16:38:00

Do Routy's forward controls and then make a decision. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/22/12 at 17:19:14

Im a whoppin 5'6" & wear a 30 inch pant leg. Even Ive found myself scooting back onto the passenger part of the seat.,

Ive wonder why people move the controls forward when it seems to me the seating position could be moved back easier & for a lot less $$.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/22/12 at 17:35:23

John, go test ride some bikes and see what fits.  Usually new bikes are awkward at first, but a few miles of riding should give you an idea.

BTW, you could put this title to Steppin Wolf's "Born to be Wild" on Karaoki night.   The rest of the lyrics might just make sense too.

JOG, why are those 30's so hard to find?   I went into a store a week ago and they had no inseams below 32.   I asked the salesman why and he said, "we always sell out of those as soon as they arrive".   Now I'm no marketing genius, but do I detect a sales opportunity here?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 17:47:31

John,.. have you done the front seat lift mod?...  That helps more than you would imagine...
Try it,.. you can always change it back, it's easy, and cost less than $5...
Mine is lifted 2"...
See here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035237

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 18:45:07

360k+ wrote on 06/22/12 at 17:35:23:
John, go test ride some bikes and see what fits.  Usually new bikes are awkward at first, but a few miles of riding should give you an idea.

BTW, you could put this title to Steppin Wolf's "Born to be Wild" on Karaoki night.   The rest of the lyrics might just make sense too.

JOG, why are those 30's so hard to find?   I went into a store a week ago and they had no inseams below 32.   I asked the salesman why and he said, "we always sell out of those as soon as they arrive".   Now I'm no marketing genius, but do I detect a sales opportunity here?

Dang 'Fino,, I will say this. Last time I went shoppin I went to 3 stores before I found ANY,, then I bought all they had.

One,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 22:41:38

I also am 6"1" with a 33-34" inseam and Routy's FC's controls did the trick! I replaced the bars and risers - 2 inch risers, with 32 inch wide bars with a 5 inch rise and 7 inch pullback. The combo was perfect for me on a 2006 s40. I will do the seat rise mod next. The s40 is more comfy now than my Vulcan 800... Grin

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 06/22/12 at 22:47:41

I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam.   I have routy's controls and I also got a Corbin seat.  The combo of these 2 things have made a world of difference in comfort of the ride. My knee's are no longer sitting above the tank now as it was with the stock seat and no forward controls.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/23/12 at 07:27:15

While the FCs do make the bike much more confortable, I could never tell you that they will cure all your ills. I (@ 6') still find myself getting a perdy sore behind in less than an hr of riding. But then,.....I'm old,......and I get a sore behind just driving a car after 50 miles or so.
The rest stops are 36 miles apart here, and I stop at every one sometimes,....or at least every other one. But I always blame it onto "the dog has to go "p" Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/23/12 at 09:00:25

The more forward the feet, the more weight on the butt,,mid controls allow a guy to stand up over a bump, try that with feet straight out in front.
Gonna hafta have a nice seat to ride long because the design forces us to put all our weight on the seat, all the time,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 06/23/12 at 09:11:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/23/12 at 09:00:25:
The more forward the feet, the more weight on the butt,,mid controls allow a guy to stand up over a bump, try that with feet straight out in front.

+1...  never heard of anyone complaining about "legroom" on a standard bike...
Stock peg position just allows me to "post" over road hazards... Any further forward and your azz is planted...
For real comfort,.. raising the seat is a better option than feet forward...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/23/12 at 13:29:42

SuperSavage, swing the 800 by here, I'll put it to good use. One of the best bikes I ever had was a 99 VN800A, would love to get hold of another one. Even have a full rear fender in my stash for it...

My Savage has a modified VN800A seat on it, floorboards and 15" rise bars in the stock 98 model risers (came with buckhorns, short riser). 6'2" 230# and the baby bike fits better than it ever did stock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
223fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crawley   WV
Reply #12 - 06/23/12 at 19:07:01

I am 6'1" and put Routy's f.c. on and it made a world of difference.Like you I was thinking about re-shapinng the seat but the f.c.'s seemed to have fixed the problem,the longest I have rode with them is an hour and a half without stoping,ain't had a chance to try a longer ride yet.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #13 - 06/24/12 at 01:26:26

Seems many have provided a fix to resolve the space issue. I've also heard many talk about putting buck shot in the handlebars and sealing the ends. The weight dampens the vibration problem. I added drag bars and didn't do the mod. The vibes don't bother me as my HD Sportster is far worse. Unfortunately I'm used to them. But I'm sure a search would yield enough information for a fix if you're interested. Otherwise I'm sure a few could lend a helpful suggestion!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 06/24/12 at 07:01:22

quote:
never heard of anyone complaining about "legroom" on a standard bike...
---------------------------------------------------------------
No ???? Where have you been ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:24:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Doomed to be uncomfortable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.