Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
found out my ticking and power loss issure.... :'( (Read 290 times)
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
found out my ticking and power loss issure.... :'(
07/01/12 at 20:27:23

As i had stated earlier, i had bought the bike dirt cheap due to power loss  and ticking issue, and after tearing into it i found my problem...
Angry Embarrassed :'( Angry :'(

looks like this project is going to be put on hold for a while... sigh...

So now on top of needing cam chain, guide and tensioner, I now also need a camshaft, and possibly complete head cover if i cant find rocker arms...

I sucks that this quick build turned into a long term project just like everything else....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: found out my ticking and power loss issure....
Reply #1 - 07/01/12 at 20:31:55

send the cam to lancer and get it welded and reground.
I think they also weld the rockers, but you might see if oldfeller will weld it for you.

looks like the ID 10 T that put the head cover on used way too much rtv and closed off the oil feeds.

WWW   IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #2 - 07/01/12 at 20:37:18

verslagen1 wrote on 07/01/12 at 20:31:55:
send the cam to lancer and get it welded and reground.
I think they also weld the rockers, but you might see if oldfeller will weld it for you.

looks like the ID 10 T that put the head cover on used way too much rtv and closed off the oil feeds.

waiting on a jet set from lancer already.

Yeah previous "mechanic" was probably smoking crack...

IP Logged
DangRider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/02/12 at 00:04:49

Wow!  Kind of surprised it was even running...

From a learning perspective, thanks for posting the pics.  (I'm a new savage owner)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/02/12 at 01:28:31

Jeepers!...  Huh...
Lesson to the uninitiated,... more is not always better...
Death by RTV overdose...

That's plum nasty,..  
Sorry to see,.. but, you know where you stand now... Nuttin' to do but forge ahead...

For what it's worth,..
I love my bike....
You get past this, and you'll love her too...
An amazing number of people have moved on from this bike to bigger and better, and found that they really miss what they had...

PS.. might as well go for a Stage one cam?... I don't feel the need, but if I had to replace anyway... I probably would..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/02/12 at 02:34:31

I did the Stage 1 cam. Nice power bump.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 07/02/12 at 07:56:30

First off I'd drain the oil and examine it very carefully, both visually and also running a magnet thru it.  If there is metal present on the head/cam area (which it appears), then metal has likely already migrated to the case and circulated by the pump; at least the stuff that gets thru the screen.   Certainly during disassembly, pull the individual parts and mic them, but my opinion says replacing entire head assembly because it looks like not only the cam lobes were starving, but also the bearings too.   Plus, you probably have no idea how long the PO ran it in this condition.  To me, it looks like damage was being done by the minute!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/02/12 at 08:02:19

Class,, CLASS!,, Pay attention here,,( POinter stick slapping the picture hanging on the board) What we have here is a classic example of "Fixing it Broke".. only THIS "Broke" is not just broke, its Tore the heck UP..
Im glad ya got it on the cheap.,Now, you have the perfect ottorpunity to build it up kinda Hot,..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 07/02/12 at 08:16:48

Yup, yup, yup...  I was trying to hint around at that without being too harsh.  If it was me, I'd throw the whole motor out and get another.   I've attempted rebuilds like this before, and it never seems to work out...   ummm, at least not for very long.   If you have to keep going back in, the time, effort, and $$$ just isn't worth it.      :'(.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/02/12 at 08:27:01

The head bearings are shot, the cam is shot, the rockers are shot, the bore is likely scored and the piston skirt destroyed (you'll see if you get in that far).

The person that sold you that bike has defrauded you by his absolutely crappy & sloppy repair work.   Take the photo evidence you have here to a small claims court judge and he would reward you damages to cover the "new" used motor you are going to have to buy.

Then, save your crap motor for spare parts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/02/12 at 08:58:42

I dont know how it is in Texas, but in California all used motorcycle sales are as is, no warranty.  You have to check everything out and know what you are getting.

Ive rebuilt several singles like this and the price always seems to hover around $1200 bucks more or less once you replace a handful of parts. Perhaps closer to 800 if you dont have to split the case. Parts and gaskets just cost and add up quick.

You could just do the minimum, clean it up and replace what is absolutely necessary and maybe get off for around 500 or so, but you will likely end up with something that is gonna have other issues along the way and not be super reliable.

Maybe this is a good candidate to pull the motor and drop a DR650 motor in it. It should not require a ton of mods and it runs 45 hp as opposed to the 30hp that the LS650 puts out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/02/12 at 08:58:47

How cheap did you get it?

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/02/12 at 09:00:06

Actually, dont you Texas guys carry guns at will. That should make dealing with the seller a little different.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #13 - 07/02/12 at 09:14:31

Spamy wrote on 07/02/12 at 08:58:42:
Maybe this is a good candidate to pull the motor and drop a DR650 motor in it. It should not require a ton of mods and it runs 45 hp as opposed to the 30hp that the LS650 puts out.

The DR650 does not put out half-again more power than the LS650 (I wish).  And there'd be a lot of incidentals to address.. the way the header connects & location probably means a new exhaust system.. the 2-plug ignition.. mounting the oil cooler, etc.  And a used DR motor will run you more $$ than a Savage motor before you even begin shoehorning it in there.

My 2 cents on this prob would be to dig further and see if the piston/cylinder is scored as Oldfeller mentions.  If it is, get a used LS motor.  If it isn't, get a used head w/cam and rockers.  

Also, if you save the bottom end.. comb through it very carefully because a sizeable chunk may have come off that rocker (the nub) and ended up in the sump.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/02/12 at 09:49:52

Wouldnt that "Little Debby" scrubby pad stuffed in the oil passageway catch the big stuff?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:35:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › found out my ticking and power loss issure.... :'(

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.