Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doomed to be uncomfortable? (Read 553 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Doomed to be uncomfortable?
Reply #15 - 06/24/12 at 10:46:22

Routy wrote on 06/24/12 at 07:01:22:
quote:
never heard of anyone complaining about "legroom" on a standard bike...
---------------------------------------------------------------
No ???? Where have you been ??

Well,... this is my first, foot forward, cruiser type bike...  
I've gotten used to it, and made some adjustments... but, it definitely puts more pressure on the butt and lower spine...
I'm just sayin',.. if you want comfort, you want to relieve that pressure, not add to it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 06/24/12 at 13:18:34

Correct for that part, but the biggest complaint is leg room (knees in chin) for all us guys over 6'.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 06/24/12 at 16:28:00

My self I really don't like the cruiser foot position I like the standard a lot better.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #18 - 06/24/12 at 19:27:31

I think I have the best of both worlds. I got a set of Ed L.s' & a set of H-D floorboards & combined the two. Now I have room to move my feet foward, or if I place the balls of my feet at the back of the boards, I can get most of my weight off  of my butt when I need too. The H-D handlebars help with the weight transfer too. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Reply #19 - 06/25/12 at 02:45:07

I'll definitely +1 for Routy's F/C's!! I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam @230#. The bike went from barely rideable for me, to my daily driver. Minimum 30 miles a day, and so comfortable the bike often demands that I take the long way home. Now, I will say that the set up is not yet perfect. The stock seat is now good for about an hour, maybe a bit more. The next thing I'll do is the lift on the front of the seat. That should help relieve the tailbone pressure. I'm also considering a Harley Police seat mod, or possibly a custom. I sat on a Corbin, and didn't like it because it pushed me about an inch forward,  and lowered me about an inch. Both exactly counter to what I need.
I have a CanAm Spyder RT with a $1000.00 custom seat. It has a full 4" lift over stock which is all they could give me. Beautiful work, but it did not fix my problem. I'm simply too long in the leg to fit that bike with the pegs under me. I've determined the problem would be the same on any bike with that peg placement. {Goldwings, BMW's, etc.}That leaves the best option for me being forward control cruiser-type bikes.
In both bikes, moving my feet forward {highway pegs on the Spyder} made the most immediate improvement, and for the least money! I'd also recommend getting your feet where you want them before moving the seat around, other than maybe the seat nose lift. As I understand it that mod is easily reversible/removable.
As an interesting side note, I've had the Spyder about a year, and put about 13,500 miles on it. I bought the S40 because I wanted a simple, inexpensive bike to chase the wife around on when she's on her bike. I started riding the S40 full time a couple of months ago, while I'm working on the Spyder. Now the Spyder sits in the shed, still waiting my attention! As soon as I can I'm going to unload my high tech $25,000 trike, and keep my $5000 thumper. Kinda an expensive way to learn what I really want to ride.. Embarrassed

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #20 - 06/25/12 at 03:24:19

mnefred wrote on 06/25/12 at 02:45:07:
I'll definitely +1 for Routy's F/C's!! I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam @230#. The bike went from barely rideable for me, to my daily driver. Minimum 30 miles a day, and so comfortable the bike often demands that I take the long way home. Now, I will say that the set up is not yet perfect. The stock seat is now good for about an hour, maybe a bit more. The next thing I'll do is the lift on the front of the seat. That should help relieve the tailbone pressure. I'm also considering a Harley Police seat mod, or possibly a custom. I sat on a Corbin, and didn't like it because it pushed me about an inch forward,  and lowered me about an inch. Both exactly counter to what I need.
I have a CanAm Spyder RT with a $1000.00 custom seat. It has a full 4" lift over stock which is all they could give me. Beautiful work, but it did not fix my problem. I'm simply too long in the leg to fit that bike with the pegs under me. I've determined the problem would be the same on any bike with that peg placement. {Goldwings, BMW's, etc.}That leaves the best option for me being forward control cruiser-type bikes.
In both bikes, moving my feet forward {highway pegs on the Spyder} made the most immediate improvement, and for the least money! I'd also recommend getting your feet where you want them before moving the seat around, other than maybe the seat nose lift. As I understand it that mod is easily reversible/removable.
As an interesting side note, I've had the Spyder about a year, and put about 13,500 miles on it. I bought the S40 because I wanted a simple, inexpensive bike to chase the wife around on when she's on her bike. I started riding the S40 full time a couple of months ago, while I'm working on the Spyder. Now the Spyder sits in the shed, still waiting my attention! As soon as I can I'm going to unload my high tech $25,000 trike, and keep my $5000 thumper. Kinda an expensive way to learn what I really want to ride.. Embarrassed

On the Corbin, The one you sat on wasn't made for you.  They custom tailor each seat for each persons inseam and weight. Plus if you don't like the fit when it gets there, you can send it back and they will adjust it to make it right.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Reply #21 - 06/26/12 at 01:01:39

So, how do you go about ordering a custum from Corbin? I can't find anywhere on their web site that asks for that kind of info. The one shown on the site is the one I sat on. It would be great if they did a custom, without going into the multi-hundred dollars range. Been there, done that, hurts!!! Shocked

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #22 - 06/26/12 at 12:26:38

Have you considered trying a seat pad?  Saddlemen makes a nice assortment.... in fleece, pillow style, or memory foam.
http://www.saddlemen.com/en/products/saddlegel-pads  They also have "raw gel" which I actually bought, and inserted into my seat, after trying one of the fleece pads first.   Just another thought for you...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #23 - 06/26/12 at 12:44:54

mnefred wrote on 06/26/12 at 01:01:39:
So, how do you go about ordering a custum from Corbin? I can't find anywhere on their web site that asks for that kind of info. The one shown on the site is the one I sat on. It would be great if they did a custom, without going into the multi-hundred dollars range. Been there, done that, hurts!!! Shocked

When your order it, That is when you get the form that asks you the questions about your size and what not.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #24 - 06/26/12 at 13:22:27

John,
I added Routy's forward controls and that took care of most of the leg room issue. I still found myself wanting to sit just off of the back of the riders seat and a trip of any distance got the backside numb. I added the Air Hawk 2 pad and that helped but was only part of a solution.

I did the seat lift modification that is well documented but also moved the entire one piece seat back about an inch by moving the mounting tabs bolted to the bottom of the seat forward, using only one bolt to hold the bracket to the seat. I drilled out the two pop rivets holding the rear bracket to the seat, moved the bracket forward, drilled new holes and installed new rivets.

In addition to moving the seat back about an inch, the entire seat platform is raised maybe 3/4 of an inch. This modification plus the $80 Air Hawk 2 pad allowed me to ride 145 miles with one brief gas stop without the numbness and I felt I could have gone another lap.

The front seat mod costs a few bucks and moving the seat back costs nothing if you already have a pop rivet gun. The nice thing is both are reversible of they don't work out for you. I am certainly not a technical writer and my description may be hard to follow, so if you are interested, I can try and post some pictures.

Best regards

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/26/12 at 17:00:40

All,

thank you for the advice. It sounds like both of them are the way to go.

I'm considering turning my seat into a one seater, then adding an aluminum box to the back where the passenger was. If I do that, how hard would it be for me to either a ) cut the stock seat in half, then tailor to my needs or b) by a sweet single seat that would "do the trick"?  Any one got a single seat savage, that's around my height and build, that could give me tips?

@Ridgerunner...how did you do the harley mod? I'm curious.

John

IP Logged
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/26/12 at 18:38:42

Babyhod, for the gel seat, did you remove the stock seat, then put the gel seat on top of the plastic "frame", or did you add it to the stock seat?

IP Logged
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Reply #27 - 07/02/12 at 03:46:31

Hey John,
Check out Paladin's High Noon seat here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214704691

I've been thinkink about trying this one myself.

Luck!  Mark

Mark & Evelyn
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 07/02/12 at 18:51:53

I kept my stock front section. Bike is a 98 model. Trashed the factory foam and cover, reupholstered the pan with 2 layers of 3/8" blue ensolite and water buffalo leather. Worked good for me for 10 years. Have since swapped seats, but PM me if you want the stock front section, I threw it in the forge building "just in case".

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:19:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Doomed to be uncomfortable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.