Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone else use this plug? (Read 184 times)
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Anyone else use this plug?
06/21/12 at 05:19:11

I've had it installed since march, seems to do ok. wondering if its really better than iridium. never used iridium myself though. part number is BR12ZC

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Anyone else use this plug?
Reply #1 - 06/21/12 at 09:43:43

I haven't used it, but it sure looks cool.   Of course, lots of bass lures look cool; they just don't catch bass.    Cool

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/21/12 at 10:14:57

That plug,... just might catch some bass... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/21/12 at 10:43:41

Sure looks like a long way for the spark...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/21/12 at 16:11:39

Interesting.  More reading for me to do...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 04:14:53

ralfyguy wrote on 06/21/12 at 10:43:41:
Sure looks like a long way for the spark...

Yea the white electrode on the actual plug does not stick out like in the picture on the box. Its length matches up perfectly with the ngk I took out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 06:28:39

Looking for performance gains from a spark plug does not do much.  The Savage is mildly tuned, and even a standard style plug provides all the spark needed.  An Iridium Plug, or one with special alloy tips may last longer - but won't really add any performance or mileage increases.  When I was young and easily confused I tried the double and quadruple electrode plugs.....and they never did anything noticeable.

You can be sure that if there were gains to be made by fancy spark plugs, they would be original equipment.  OEM manufacturers are spending millions of dollars in research to get better mileage and performance - and it a spark plug would help they would install them as standard equipment.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/22/12 at 06:45:53

OEM manufacturers are spending millions of dollars in research to get better mileage and performance - and it a spark plug would help they would install them as standard equipment.

Whats this? Hey! Dont come in here & try to derail a good thread with clear thinking & logic!
Of all the nerve,, I say we ban this guy before he ruins the place.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #8 - 06/22/12 at 07:21:22

Dave wrote on 06/22/12 at 06:28:39:
Looking for performance gains from a spark plug does not do much.  The Savage is mildly tuned, and even a standard style plug provides all the spark needed.  An Iridium Plug, or one with special alloy tips may last longer - but won't really add any performance or mileage increases.  When I was young and easily confused I tried the double and quadruple electrode plugs.....and they never did anything noticeable.

You can be sure that if there were gains to be made by fancy spark plugs, they would be original equipment.  OEM manufacturers are spending millions of dollars in research to get better mileage and performance - and it a spark plug would help they would install them as standard equipment.  

thats not always true though. I know as far as cars go, manufacturers do not want the car to last long so you'll be buying another one. there are always better ways of gettin perfomance that the manufacturer simple will not do. the savage is purposely made to run lean to pass emissions. whos to say they use a cheap plug instead of a performance plug for the same reason. This plug runs better than the stock non iridium plug. but I've never used an iridium so dunno how it compares to it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/22/12 at 08:12:11

[quote author=5D4740454243555C300 link=1340281152/0#8 date=1340374882]Dave wrote on 06/22/12 at 06:28:39:
I know as far as cars go, manufacturers do not want the car to last long so you'll be buying another one. there are always better ways of gettin perfomance that the manufacturer simple will not do. the savage is purposely made to run lean to pass emissions. whos to say they use a cheap plug instead of a performance plug for the same reason.

I don't believe that manufacturers build in a "shelf life" and purposely provide a limited amount of life.  When I was young cars with 100,000 miles were worn out, cylinders were badly worn and had ridges at the top where the rings didn't travel, rings were worn out, seals and guides were gone.  We just sold my wife's Jetta with 264,000 miles on it and it still ran great and didn't burn any oil.  The Honda it replaced had 212,000 miles on it.  The cars are engineered to get good fuel mileage, meet emmisions standards, and be affordable.  The design is a balance of cost vs. benefit vs. regulations......not designed obsolescence.  As far as performance mods from manufacturers.....most of the performance improvements claimed by the aftermarket companies improve performance at the cost of mpg, reliability or noise.....and the claimed improvements only occur at maximum throttle as measured on a dyno.  Real world improvements are generally marginal.

A cheap plug will not provide better emmision standard than a performance plug.  A spark plug needs to provide a good spark - nothing more, and the standard (quality) plug can easily provide the necessary spark.  Most of manufacturers use the exotic metal tipped plugs to extend the replacement interval - not to improve performance.

If you think differently.....put it to the test.  Put a new standard plug in and go for a ride.....and find a hill with sign post or some landmark.  Pass the landmark in high gear at a low speed that does not lug the engine and roll on the throttle and find out what your speed is as you pass another landmark.....or time yourself between 30 and 60.  Then do the same with your performance plug....and see if there is any difference.  The test should be repeated a few times and with the same headwinds, temperatures, etc. to be consistant.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 06/22/12 at 11:26:49

Dave wrote on 06/22/12 at 08:12:11:
I don't believe that manufacturers build in a "shelf life" and purposely provide a limited amount of life.

It's called "Planned Obsolescence" and yes, it's very real, and manufacturers do it whether you choose to believe it or not. Not so much in cars because they always break down and wear out but in things like computers, standards constantly change so you can't take new parts and put them in your old computer to keep it up-to-date. Manufacturers could easily keep using old sockets and wiring but they don't.

And Gaming systems. Oh yeah, gaming systems. Microsoft and Sony are notorious for this. How many people still have a working original playstation? How about xbox? But a working Nintendo? Oh yeah, there are TONS of those things still around. Nintendo built their products out of the best materials and their only faults were design flaws which were remedied in subsequent models(hello 72-pin connector).

Planned obsolescence is very real. Manufacturers can't keep prices down if they never sell products due to them lasting forever.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 06/23/12 at 08:39:39

Dave wrote on 06/22/12 at 06:28:39:
When I was young and easily confused...

Now you are old and easily confused.    Wink

The thing is, the manufacturers put out specs and take bids on products that MEET specs.   While they could install $20 golden spark plugs OEM, it is unclear whether they would unless it gained them some competitive bragging points (marketing advantage).

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #12 - 06/23/12 at 11:44:39

looks cool! I don't know how this will work, but I used a spark used these on my Urals. worked pretty well.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 17:33:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone else use this plug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.