Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front Wheel Sqealing (Read 226 times)
Tode33
YaBB Newbies

Front Wheel Sqealing
06/16/12 at 07:43:20

I did a search on the forums for this, sorry if it's already been asked, but I couldn't find anything.

I've been having a problem where my front wheel keeps on squealing.  It started out at just low speeds, but it's progressed where it pretty much does it constantly.  I tried propping the front wheel off the ground and spinning the wheel manually but can't seem to get it to spin fast enough to do it, I do hear the brake pads making contact with the disc when I spin though.
So far I've pulled off the brake caliper, pulled out the brake pads and cleaned the whole thing up from grime and break dust.  Used break cleaner to clean up the disc.  Just on the off chance that it's the speedometer cable I lubed that up.  But it's still sqealing.
One thing I noticed, it does not seem to sqeal when I end up riding in the rain.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Front Wheel Sqealing
Reply #1 - 06/16/12 at 07:56:39

A temporary fix is to only ride in the rain..    just kidding.

Does the squeal stop when you apply front brake?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Tode33
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 06/16/12 at 08:08:58

If I keep the throttle on and apply the front break, the squeal persists.  If I let off on the throttle it seems to stop.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/16/12 at 08:20:37

The Trials bike community has problems with squeaky breaks.  The normal cure it to get the disc hot - then spray it with the garden hose.  I always worried that it would warp the disc......but it does not seem to be a problem on the trials bikes....maybe it would work on the Savage

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 06/16/12 at 08:38:10

I looked at the fiche (exploded view) and don't see anything that could squeal except possibly a wheel bearing about to fail???   How many miles are on the bike?  Also, make sure the squeal is coming from the front.   The belt on a Savage can squeal and the sound can bounce around and seem like it's coming from some place that it's not, especially if you have a windshield.   The belt would also account for it not squealing in the rain and throttle changes.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/16/12 at 08:39:46

Usually, it's the brake pad and it would squeal when braking.

I take it, it's squealing all the time.  While it still can be the brakes, there are other points of possible contact.  On each side of the wheel are spacers with a shield.  I'd take the wheel off and inspect the shields for wear.  They're just pressed in, so you might need to tap them in a little further.

While you got the wheel off, lube the wheel bearings.

Last, is the brakes.  the stock pads are known to squeal.  I recommend kevlar brake pad material.  No one uses the kevlar name anymore cause it's trade marked.  they're an ebay seller in florida that sells an "X" brand thats great, cheap, don't squeal, lasts a long time.  I measured them when I put the drilled discs on at 5mm.  that's after being on 6 months and I do 10 to 12k miles a year.

WWW   IP Logged
Tode33
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 06/16/12 at 09:26:27

It's a '98 with 25701 miles on it.  I just bought it March of last year (first bike.)  I'm pretty sure it was neglected for a few years so I'm still working on finding all of the "presents" that the neglect left me.  When I had it inspected this year I asked them to check the belt since that was the first thing I thought of.  There wasn't any issues with it other than it needed tightened a bit.  If I need to take the front wheel off I guess I'm going to have to take it to a shop since I don't have anything other than hand tools.  Was hoping to avoid that on a financial level.  Sad

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/16/12 at 09:45:43

Noises can fool ya'...  Next time you hear the squeal,... put some finger pressure on the headlight ring,... and the speedo bezel...
They are both famous squealers...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/16/12 at 10:03:06

Tode33 wrote on 06/16/12 at 09:26:27:
It's a '98 with 25701 miles on it.

Check your cam chain...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

WWW   IP Logged
Tode33
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 06/16/12 at 10:45:29

So am I to assume that I really shouldn't ride it until I check the cam chain?  The person who sold it to me didn't have a service log, so I have NO idea when the last time anything was serviced (other than what I have done.)  Sorry if I seem newbish, I'm still learning a lot of this as I go.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/16/12 at 10:51:20

And we're trying to teach ya before the lessons get expensive.

Be on the lookout for a tapping on the right side, you'll hear it just behind the oil filter cover on top of the case.

any sudden grinding from there and I'd kill the motor immediately and pull over... tow it home.

WWW   IP Logged
Tode33
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 06/16/12 at 10:59:34

I appreciate all of the help.  Smiley
So far no tapping or grinding from that area.
I have a Clymer manual on the way (taking to the shop for everything was getting too expensive) so I guess I'm going to take that and any advice I find on here and spend a weekend just pulling the bike apart and doing all of the required maintenance that I can.  That way at least I'll KNOW when the last time things were done.
Definitely going to have to check the headlight ring and speedo suggestion as well.

On a side note, I just realized I spelled squeal wrong on the title of this post.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/16/12 at 11:30:30

Tode33 wrote on 06/16/12 at 10:59:34:
On a side note, I just realized I spelled squeal wrong on the title of this post.  Roll Eyes

No two squeals ever sound the same,... don't see why they should all be spelled the same... Smiley...

Versy is modestly not mentioning it,... but he custom makes a modified cam adjuster that will save your engine...
If you find that you need to replace,... I highly recommend getting his modded adjuster...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338489898
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/16/12 at 20:01:52

I wouldnt push the start button again till Id looked inside that thing,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tode33
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 06/18/12 at 05:03:15

Update:
My bike is definitely grounded until I can open it up.
I didn't really have an option but to ride it this morning.  Keeping in mind the statement that the sound can bounce around, I decided to ride without a helmet this morning to see if I could hear better..  The sound is DEFINITELY coming from my belt.  Also, my engine is definitely not a happy camper and based on the internals that I saw from the link verslagen1 posted, I'm going to go ahead and assume it's the cam chain.  It definitely sounds like SOMETHING is loose in there.  Unfortunately like they say, ignorance is bliss, and now I'm sweating it hoping I can make it home.  Undecided
Guess I'm making a stop at a tool store when Iget paid later this week to pick up the tools I need to do the job.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:41:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Wheel Sqealing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.