Afghanistan revisited (Read 79 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Afghanistan revisited
06/20/12 at 09:06:31

I remember having an interesting discussion with fellow Officers when, in 2002, the US was talking world opinion into invading Afghanistan...

"It will not be another Vietnam" thundered a well known world leader.

"It won't - I commented to my colleagues - it'll be another Afghanistan", explaining how the Afghan muhajeddin had beaten the living daylights out of the Soviets
to the point of forcing the Kremlin to change TTPs (Tactics, Techniques and Procedures) and even redesigning infantry vehicles.
Google BMP2 and BMP3 and check out the visible differences.

It ain't looking nice for ANY of the participating Nations, and here's the evidence:
http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/02/06/american_general_dies_in_afgh...

And these links within the article
http://armedforcesjournal.com/2012/02/8904030
http://turcopolier.typepad.com/files/go-deep-_14-oct-09_.pdf
This second document really deserves a read... Lips Sealed

We're all in this, we ought to pull out mighty quickly  Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Afghanistan revisited
Reply #1 - 06/20/12 at 09:33:22

Much like in Syria and Iran now,... just seeing a problem, doesn't justify a military intervention...
There needs to be a useful mission and realistic goals before committing..

Romney worries me...  He seems to be too ready to shoot first...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/20/12 at 10:01:55

We trained the Taliban and BinLaden back in the 80's and called them "Freedom Fighters" for defending Arab lands against Soviet incursion....
Then,.. after we invaded Iraq,.. and they started defending their lands against us,... we redefined them as Terrorists...

One mans Freedom Fighter is another mans Terrorist... or, sometimes... it's the same guys,... fighting for the same cause,.. against a new enemy...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/20/12 at 11:24:39

Yea, & the Taliban had the poppy harvest at record lows, we went in & now its at record highs. Amazing how crops flourish in a war torn country that is occupied by a country engaged in a Huge Drug War..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/20/12 at 22:06:53

You didn't think we paid for all those toys honestly did you? Same crap happened in Vietnam, with the same crop.

Kill several birds with one stone: fund your ops, make allies out of the locals (better armed than you), keep the dregs of our society clamoring for more (and stealing/killing honest folk to justify your domestic law breaking (I mean, homeland security policies)).

C'mon JOG, wake up and smell the China White. Sheesh.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/20/12 at 22:27:43

That pretty well covers it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #6 - 05/11/13 at 06:56:32

WHAT OUR CHILDREN ARE DYING FOR IN AFGHANISTAN
http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/dyinginafghanistan.php

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/11/13 at 08:48:17

Serowbot wrote on 06/20/12 at 10:01:55:
We trained the Taliban and BinLaden back in the 80's and called them "Freedom Fighters" for defending Arab lands against Soviet incursion....
Then,.. after we invaded Iraq,.. and they started defending their lands against us,... we redefined them as Terrorists...

One mans Freedom Fighter is another mans Terrorist... or, sometimes... it's the same guys,... fighting for the same cause,.. against a new enemy...

That's because america is refusing to learn 1 simple fact of life.

YOU CAN NOT "LAY OFF" YOUR FRIENDS.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/11/13 at 09:57:06

Maybe if you expounded on that I could drag some kind of meaningful communication out of it.Maybe

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/11/13 at 13:24:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/11/13 at 09:57:06:
Maybe if you expounded on that I could drag some kind of meaningful communication out of it.Maybe

When we went to afghanisthan in the 70's and decided to "support" them ... guess what, we didn't say, you want to fight, we're able to supply you arms and this and that so you can fight ... cos they would have turned around and said ... yea we fight ... or not fight, what's it to you ?

We went there and built a relationship with them. We got their best fighters trained, we told them - attack here and here cos these things are going to affect the US, then you can go attack that. AKA we co opted them. We then left as soon as the russians did.

Their reaction is the cost of trying to unfriend them.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #10 - 05/12/13 at 20:07:04

i spent 15 months over there. lots of mountains not alot of trees. i remember this one village that only had one tree. it was more like a bush. all the women and kids would carry water to it just to keep it alive. Roll Eyes  
the men were to busy ass rapin little boys to help.

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/12/13 at 21:42:26

srinath wrote on 05/11/13 at 13:24:16:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/11/13 at 09:57:06:

When we went to afghanisthan in the 70's and decided to "support" them ... guess what, we didn't say, you want to fight, we're able to supply you arms and this and that so you can fight ... cos they would have turned around and said ... yea we fight ... or not fight, what's it to you ?

We went there and built a relationship with them. We got their best fighters trained, we told them - attack here and here cos these things are going to affect the US, then you can go attack that. AKA we co opted them. We then left as soon as the russians did.

Their reaction is the cost of trying to unfriend them.

Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks. I agree with that & its logical. I also suspect there is a bit more to it, but cant prove it & explaining it would take waaay too much typing & even then, like I said, I cant even start to prove it,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:25:10

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Afghanistan revisited

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.