Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sea foam gas additive (Read 452 times)
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sea foam gas additive
06/19/12 at 23:53:52

At the suggestion of some of you, I've been adding Sea foam religiously at every fill-up.  Any positive results have been marginal at best.  So, just exactly how long am I suppose to continue adding this product?  I've run about 5 tanks of fuel through the system and currently have 2050 miles on the Odo. The only other bit of information that may be helpful is my Suzuki is an 06 S40.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Sea foam gas additive
Reply #1 - 06/20/12 at 04:12:51

Why are you ? There is no reason to run any additive in the fuel system, or any other system unless there is a problem of some kind, and even then don't expect any miracles from seafoam. IMO it is highly overated.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/20/12 at 04:32:18

My new Kia manual says every oil change to rune a fuel additive,If your motorcycle is running good just add it every couple month to keep the carb slide and petcock lubed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #3 - 06/20/12 at 05:12:50

I had my main jet clocked or slide sticking and added seafoam which fixed it within five minutes of riding.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/20/12 at 05:22:31

What problem are you hoping it will solve? Ive probably run $50.00 worth thru my backhoe, it sounds so much better now I dont know what to say,,my 25 y/o pickup hardly ran on startup, now, it runs without me sittin there trying to keep it going, still surges Some, but not nearly so bad. & I drip a little in other things sometimes now,just to keep things happy,
If it aint messed up, ya cant Fix it.,
& some kinds of messed up, SeaFoam wont touch,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/20/12 at 07:15:29

I doubt there's anything wrong with your '06 with only 2050 miles on it that Seafoam would fix, unless it's been sitting for long periods of time. That would allow gunk and varnish to build up in the carb, but if the bike was running well to begin with I'd say it isn't necessary.
I've always felt that the best way to keep the carbs clean and happy was to keep riding the bike regularly.
I tell my wife that it's necessary for proper maintenance!!  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/20/12 at 07:32:38

06 with only 2050 miles on it that Seafoam would fix, unless it's been sitting for long periods of time.

2,000 miles in 6 years is the definition of sitting for long periods of time,
Expect it to take a long time to smooth out or go in & clean the carb. Shoulda cleaned the bowl before even starting it. Now, whatever crud has broken loose has been dragged into jets & fuel passages.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 06/20/12 at 09:35:52

My '02 had 3700 miles when I got it a few months ago. It took 5 or 6 tanks to clean out. Are you putting enough in?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 06/20/12 at 12:29:46

Seafoam schmeefoam.  If you have muck in your carb, clean out your carb the right way.  If you have no muck in your carb, use a really good filter, and the solvents in name-brand gas will keep it clean.

Would you perchance be interested in any of these items I have for sale?
-- fuel magnetizers
-- vortex generators for the intake
-- tailgate nets
-- slick 50
I bought several of these over the years.  I believed the facts as stated by the manufacturers.  Had they worked as well as the testing results quoted by the manufacturers, my cars, bikes, and airplanes would have lasted for friggin' ever, and would have been making gas, rather than burning it.  Alas, the manufacturer's claims seem to have been a bit optimistic.  In fact, I had much the same results with these gadgets that I do with low-end solvents like seafoam.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/20/12 at 13:47:35

Keep spinnin it Gyro.. I doubted too, but upon using it, I saw a HUGE change in the backhoe & pickup. Ive been around mechanical stuff long enough to know dang near every additive is bogus, but Seafoam solved a very scary sounding hard clack in the backhoe that was caused by an injector & the truck was surging & dying, even after I changed the fuel filter, which drained literally Black garbage out of it. It still surges sometimes, but now it doesnt die.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 06/20/12 at 16:21:21

I use SeaFoam. It works for keeping deposits out of my fuel system. I, like others on here have poured a little in rough running engines and seen almost immediate improvement. It won't remove a rock from an idle jet, but it does keep things bright inside, just like good oil does. Many on here complain it doesn't work, then we find out they are expecting unrealistic things and are using it against the instructions on the label. I use it maybe once a month when I remember it. It has worked for me. I am not selling it. Use it or not. Just don't get all tore up 'cause someone does or doesn't. Have you ever seen anyone hold an old truck engine wide open and pour water through the carburetor? I have. They was some major hairballs coming out the exhaust.  Grin I don't recommend it, but it worked. The guy who did it worked on P-47 Jugs in WWII.

I have a friend who was complaining about her Tahoe using too much gas and not starting right up. Her husband was impressed when they walked into a parts store and she asked for SeaFoam. The sales guy was really impressed with her request, so she just acted all cool like it was something she used all the time. Of course it just cleaned her injectors some, but her husband noticed the change and got her to tell where she got the idea. He just laughed when she told him it was me.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/20/12 at 16:53:50

I've poured water through the carburetor many times with the engine running then give it the gas so it don't kill.They always seemed to run better after I did it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 06/20/12 at 17:09:39

I've used a few different kinds but typically I wind up using Marvel Mystery Oil.  I add it to a tankful of gas 4 or 5 times a year.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 06/20/12 at 17:59:53

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/20/12 at 17:09:39:
I've used a few different kinds but typically I wind up using Marvel Mystery Oil.  I add it to a tankful of gas 4 or 5 times a year.

My Grandad used to put a mix of castor oil and molasses in the gas tanks of his tractors.  He was a farmer in Oklahoma.  He said he never once had to overhaul a carburetor.

My other Grandad was a farmer in Ohio.  He had a still, and would use the first jug of every batch as a gas additive in his tractors and trucks.  He said, "once you see what this stuff will do to a man's guts, you'll know right away it'll clean anything out of any fuel system anyhow."

MMO is as worthless as seafoam.  They are just solvents.  If you have some muck in your system that is susceptible to solvents, it might help if the conditions are just right.  A real mechanic would clean out the mucked up system like a man, rather than a cheerleader.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Nskawtea
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/20/12 at 18:00:49

I added Sea Foam to mine after it was stored in the garage, it runs more smoothly and back fires less

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:25:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sea foam gas additive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.