Some day (Read 148 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Some day
06/21/12 at 11:53:10

Some day.. I expect the bike will not run..and no amount effort on my part will fix it. Fearing that.. I want to procure one of those tow hitches ( unless I hear horror stories from here).  There are several on the web, so I am just hoping to hear from the brain-trust what works.

Example.. http://www.fatzusa.com/tow-hitch.htm

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Some day
Reply #1 - 06/21/12 at 12:36:22

Never used one of those, and it looks a little scary to me.
I have to say, for the rare times that I need to tow a bike, I find it's pretty easy and cheap just to rent a small trailer from U-haul...

Sure you want to spend the money for something you "might" need somewhere some day?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/21/12 at 12:40:17

You don't need that thing......You just need to find a friend with a truck and/or trailer.  Somebody has to answer the phone when you call for help......so it has to be someone else cause you are stuck out on the road with your broken bike!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/21/12 at 12:45:06

If you really do want a trailer, I have a friend who has a pretty sweet little one bike trailer that folds up and takes up nearly zero space in his garage. I have no idea who made it or where he got it, but it lifts BOTH wheels off the ground. I would look for something like that. I wouldn't want to be dragging half of my bike behind me like that unless it was just for very short distances, and then again, what's the point?

Also; there's AAA, and the AMA has roadside assistance service that's MC specific.....

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/21/12 at 13:11:25

i'd rather use this...it's rated to 400lbs which our bikes are...I'd buy the anti wobble accessory tho'

http://www.wmastore.com/400lb-Capacity-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-Carrier-Hauler-Ra...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/21/12 at 14:27:50

I would not tow this bike with the rear wheel on the ground with out removing the belt & tieing it out of the way. I do believe with the engine not running the output shaft bearings could be damaged from lack of lubricant. Sad

Back in '79 I towed an XS650 back to Tennessee with a holder like that first one. I took the chain off before towing it &  had no problems on a 1000 mile trip. Never used it again. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 06/21/12 at 14:30:46

for the $650 they are selling it for, you could buy a real trailer for the same price or less.  The trailer could then also be used for other things and not just your Savage or other MC's

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/21/12 at 14:37:54

True That!

I helped a friend of mine move from Ohio here to Maine several years ago. Bought an awesome trailer for $500 from Craig's list. Hauled his bike and half his life in it, used it myself for two more years, then sold it for $500.   Grin

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 06/21/12 at 14:44:48

Thanks all.

I would not be getting that one... they can be had $150. The purpose is just to tow it in-town to the shop if/when needed. I really have no more room for a trailer.  I could do the U-haul thing when needed.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 06/21/12 at 14:50:49

Don't know around you but for those instances it might be cheaper to rent a trailer for the min time from from a Rent-all type place where you would rent a tractor or some such equipment for a few days.  My local rental place only charges $10 for 24 hours and $5 if I can have it back within 4 hours.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #10 - 06/21/12 at 15:07:18

Yeah just like above the hitch mount 400lb rated motorcycle carrier would be way cheaper way to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-99721.html

$110 at harbourfrieght right now.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 06/21/12 at 15:13:51

Speaking of Harbor Freight,  They used to and probably still do sell a foldable trailer that doesn't take up much room at all when your not using it. IIRC it was around $300 or so for a 4' x 8' one and the capacity was more then enough for most motorcycles and also riding mowers and such.

R.F.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #12 - 06/21/12 at 18:13:33

rfw2003 wrote on 06/21/12 at 15:13:51:
Speaking of Harbor Freight,  They used to and probably still do sell a foldable trailer that doesn't take up much room at all when your not using it. IIRC it was around $300 or so for a 4' x 8' one and the capacity was more then enough for most motorcycles and also riding mowers and such.

R.F.

Yep, I think I remember that one.   As I recall it stood up against the wall when not in use.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/21/12 at 19:14:10

360k+ wrote on 06/21/12 at 18:13:33:
rfw2003 wrote on 06/21/12 at 15:13:51:

R.F.

Yep, I think I remember that one.   As I recall it stood up against the wall when not in use.

Sounds just like the one my friend has. He loves his! (then again, he's got a half dozen vintage bikes, and spends his Summers racing, so his gets used a LOT!)

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/21/12 at 19:40:01

H-F still sells the folding trailer & several others.

A year & a half after hauling the XS 650 to Tennesse we moved back to Port Aransas. On the trip back I hauled a Norton Commando using a carrier made from an RV rear bumper made of square tubing that originally stored the sewer hose. Mounted it to the trailer hitch & cut 'slots' in the top for the tires to fit in. Found out quickly it wasn't very stable until I added turnbuckles at each end that hooked into holes drilled in the bumper. I had a '64 GMC panel truck at the time, & built a matching trailer from a wrecked '62 Chevy panel. Total cost = $0 because I sold the front half (engine, trans, doors, etc.) to a salvage yard. For the trip back I mounted the carrier on the trailers bumper & put our refrigerator on the tongue to balance the load. Worked perfectly & gave us a place to store things after we found a house to live in.

All that because I thought the price U-Haul wanted to rent a trailer for the trip was ridiculous. Also didn't have to rent a storage unit the day we got here so we could turn the trailer in. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:24:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Some day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.