Send Topic Print
Need a rebore (Read 136 times)
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need a rebore
06/17/12 at 14:01:48

Just took my bike apart and found that it need a rebore and oversize piston. Can I just get a shop to bore out the cylinder or does it need some sort of plating after ?
I found a cheep new dr 650 oversize piston (96mm) but the seller does not have the rings. Does anyone know where I can get a set or should I just go for the more costly complete piston set from Wiseco.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need a rebore
Reply #1 - 06/17/12 at 14:23:55

IDK about the piston, or rings, but there is a coating you can have done that will make things work out nicely, Time for the Old Smart Guys to kick in,,
Yea, Rowboat, youre OLD,, get used to it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 06/17/12 at 16:10:12

My beemer has ceramic liners (factory), and it seems I've read that process is available for any cylinders, but it has to be kinda baked on.  However, the Zuk isn't a high mileage motor, so probably not worth the effort; i.e., other parts will wear out first anyway.

I looked on Wiseco and didn't see a kit for the Savage?   It's too bad they don't make a 700cc big bore kit - THUMPA THUMPA.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/17/12 at 18:38:20

the dr650 pistons work, there are a few threads out there for you to search out the info.

they start at 95mm and go up to 97mm

you got it cheap cause no rings, I'd contact wiseco.  they should sell them or will refer a distributor.

WWW   IP Logged
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/18/12 at 03:24:34

I did not buy the piston, but it is on ebay. It is an original suzuki oversize piston for the dr 650 but if I can“t find rings for it, when it is useless  Huh

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/18/12 at 05:02:50

Wiseco does have rings for their oversized pistons but if this is a Suzuki piston then you will need to check with Suzuki to see if they still have them in their parts stock system.

If you are going to bore then I would not install without a NEW set of rings.  Old rings may not be adequate ... been there, done that.  
I had to take it apart again and redo the engine.   Tongue

I like, use & recommend Bore Tech for cylinder work.
They will bore, hone and do a Silicone Carbide treatment to the cylinder.  If you want they will also bead blast and paint the cylinder.

I have a 95mm forged Wiseco piston & finished cylinder; 10.5:1 compression ratio.  Ready to go now for $475 +shp.
If you exchange your cylinder I will discount the price $50; $425 + shp.

I also have two  97mm sets being made and it should be done in about a week.  One of those is already sold and they don't last long so if you want it let me know.

The 97mm piston/cyl set will take the engine out to 695cc, so it is essentially a 700.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/18/12 at 07:19:52

You might check with Total Seal to see if you can get a set of "gapless " rings to fit. I ran them in my Opel mini-stock for 4 years turning over 8k in every race & they still sealed with less than 3% leakdown. Well worth the money. As an added benifit your oil will stay clean longer. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/18/12 at 08:54:24

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 06/18/12 at 07:19:52:
You might check with Total Seal to see if you can get a set of "gapless " rings to fit. I ran them in my Opel mini-stock for 4 years turning over 8k in every race & they still sealed with less than 3% leakdown. Well worth the money. As an added benifit your oil will stay clean longer. Cool

Just checked the Total Seal website & they list rings for the LS650  & Dr650 using a Wiseco piston.  Grin

They show ring groove sizes to be: 1.2, 1.5, & 4.0 for both engines.

Anybody know the stock piston groove sizes? Huh

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/19/12 at 14:17:05

thanks for the offer Lancer but I think it is going to be to expensive before I get the set. Shipping to denmark and import duty is not cheap  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:28:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need a rebore

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.