Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
front pulley with air imapct wrench? (Read 127 times)
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

front pulley with air imapct wrench?
06/17/12 at 19:06:41

Anyone ever try installing the front pulley (all 72 ft/lbs. + of it) using an air-driven impact wrench? I used one to take the thing off, very simple. But I'm not sure what the resultant torque would be with an impact wrench when putting the pulley back on. It would sure be a lot easier than sweating on a manual torque wrench while trying to keep the pulley from spinning.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: front pulley with air imapct wrench?
Reply #1 - 06/17/12 at 19:12:24

Yup,.. That's what I do... no idea how tight it is, but it's tight...

Make sure you're in neutral... Wink...

PS... (just read the wrench specs... 230ftlbs... told ya' it was tight)... Grin...
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/17/12 at 21:42:41

It would sure be a lot easier than sweating on a manual torque wrench while trying to keep the pulley from spinning.

Yepp,, Thats the way Id do it, Thats how I do the clutch, dont hafta hold the trigger down, just Pop it & itll ram the nut up before the clutch basket can spin,.

On that pulley, yea, nail it, just make sure you have the nut started good. I like to let whatever Im tightening to be away from the landing & hit it, it spins down hard before the impact even starts banging.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 06/17/12 at 23:01:37

Just install it the way you see a good mechanic put wheel lugs on. Feather the trigger to get it seated then give it a couple quick blips to tighten it. Don't mash the trigger and bog the thing down, it's completely unnecessary.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/18/12 at 04:02:08

They usually cram lugs on way too tight, these pulleys get loose. Theres a technique to what I am saying,& I am a good mechanic. Im not talkin Dogin it, Im talkin makin it run up & snap & be pretty tite before the impact even starts hammerin,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/18/12 at 16:32:56

Just did this today actually.  I know there was some talk of bracing the rear wheel or hitting the brake, etc. in threads past but I was able to remove the pulley really easily without any bracing of the pulley or rear wheel.  

Very short bursts like has been suggested and no problems.  Might have gotten lucky but it seems like proper impact usage was all that was needed.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/18/12 at 17:02:48

proper impact usage

Sometimes, tho, not all the time,an air hose is involved.
& Yea, quick blasts on the trigger will work wonders,.
Ive been stuck with a 22 gallon, wimpy compressor from Harbor Freight for 6 years. When I worked in shops, there was all the air a guy could use, 2 big compressors with big motors feeding the painters & bodymen, but Ive had to learn how to get the most work out of a little air,

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #7 - 06/18/12 at 19:05:05

I have a set of torque sticks. One of them is 80 foot pounds. What it will do is start to twist at 80 foot pounds and won't put it on any tighter. I use these for lug nuts cuz keeping all the nuts at the same torque keep rotors from warping over time.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 06/19/12 at 02:33:33

SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 06/18/12 at 19:05:05:
I have a set of torque sticks. One of them is 80 foot pounds. What it will do is start to twist at 80 foot pounds and won't put it on any tighter. I use these for lug nuts cuz keeping all the nuts at the same torque keep rotors from warping over time.

I've never heard of any such thing and quite frankly, that sounds ridiculous. The main reason brakes "warp" is that, for starters, people buy low-quality rotors. Then they do very hard and long stops(like getting off the highway and stopping at a red light) and proceed to mash their foot on the brake like they're trying to prevent a 40ft trailer from rolling down a hill. The brake rotor is now way too hot and without air movement to cool it down, bits of the pads weld to the rotor causing high spots. If you're like me and don't care to spend the money on quality rotors, you can't let your vehicle sit in one position after a hard stop.

And believe it or not, you can't feel a warp in a rotor, you can only feel a high or low spot. As long as the sides of the rotor are parallel, it can look like a record in the sun and you won't feel it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/19/12 at 05:25:39

IDK if its possible to warp a rotor by improperly torquing the wheel, Tho, I havent seen a design that didnt pinch the rotor between the wheel & a hub, so I have a hard time picturing it,

Get a rotor hot & run thru a splash of water & youve got a great recipe for a warped rotor.

A warped rotor will drag every time the warp passes between the pads & will generally not be felt, but will slightly slow the wheel & will create a wear spot on the tire. A warped rotor will be felt as a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal, because the warped area tries to spread the pads as it passes between them,

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #10 - 06/19/12 at 18:21:02

I've been an ase certified brake tech for 26 years. The number 1 cause of warped rotors is uneven torque of the wheels. If they are not all the same torque, as the rotor heats up it will warp to the side of the looser lug nuts. This is a practice taught in all auto tech classes and I have witnessed for myself over the past 26 years. the shop I have worked at for the last eight years has little to zero lifetime replacement brake pads that also have warped rotors. Think whatever ya want, makes no difference to me, but the cars I work on don't get warped rotors half way through the brakes pads life. Lol just google "does uneven wheel torque cause warped rotors"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:27:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front pulley with air imapct wrench?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.