Send Topic Print
Spark plug ??? (Read 96 times)
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane Queensland Australia
Spark plug ???
06/17/12 at 04:59:29

I have only been a member for a week but have been in overdrive reading posts on here for about a month. One thing I haven't seen is anything discussed about different spark plugs !! With all the mods done has some one found a better plug ?

IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Re: Spark plug ???
Reply #1 - 06/17/12 at 05:13:56

IP Logged
Scott.aust

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brisbane Queensland Australia
Reply #2 - 06/17/12 at 05:31:07

Thanks for that link. The next question is any feedback between the ones listed. Is the iridium worth using ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/17/12 at 05:44:52

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/17/12 at 08:07:54

Scott.aust wrote on 06/17/12 at 05:31:07:
Thanks for that link. The next question is any feedback between the ones listed. Is the iridium worth using ?

I don't believe anything beyond a standard plug is going to improve performance much on the Savage.  It is a low rpm engine in a mild state of tune, and just about any spark plug is up to the job.  The platinum and specialty metal tips do increase the life span of the spark plug.  Back before fuel injection and fancy plugs we used to replace plugs in cars routinely - now they can go 50,000 miles or more on a set of plugs as the electode tips don't erode away like they used to.  I have tried lots of fancy plugs in my impetious youth.....I never noticed any performance improvement.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 06/17/12 at 08:47:24

Like many other issues, much of the spark plug discussion seems subjective and opinionated.   I would like to see independent controlled test results (not marketing hype tho!).   Even then, I have the feeling that one plug's advantage over others is going to be fairly insignificant when compared to overall engine design parameters.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/17/12 at 09:58:04

Spark,.. spark,.. spark,.. spark...  
That's about as good as it gets... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/17/12 at 10:00:57

My Suzuki dealers I've known for 40 years and he raced motorcycles and he says you will get no better performance out of a special plug. On any motorcycle,For cars that have to start  up below zero it probability makes a difference,Because your battery isn't full power at real low temperatures.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 06/17/12 at 10:52:57

The way to really "improve" ignition would be a dual plug head.   For instance, my airplane had dual mags and 2 spark plugs per cylinder.  During runnup you switch to left, right, and both at 2000 rpm.   I typically saw a 100rpm (5%) drop going to either single mag vs both.   For the plane, this was not so much a performance feature as a safety feature (ignition out at 4k feet will probably not end well).  The effect of dual plug heads is that the fuel burn is quicker and more even.   Believe it or not, it can also help with detonation problems, especially with hi-compression pistons (which the Savage doesn't have).

With a motorcycle you don't need completely redundant systems, but dual plugs is fairly easy to implement by attaching the two plugs to the opposite ends of the secondary on the ignition coil.   This also eliminates any timing synch problems.   Then you only need to tap the head for two spark plugs on opposite sides of the combustion chamber.   Of course, this must be designed in, because on the Savage head the spark plug is already near center.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:13:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark plug ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.