Tack O Meter (Read 111 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Tack O Meter
06/13/12 at 05:09:07

I wonder why this wouldn't work on our single cylinder.
Knowing that a tach counts engine rpm's, and not cylinders, just seems like it should work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-led-lit-tachometer-98480.html?utm_medium=...

Jog, now go back and mod your post ! Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tack O Meter
Reply #1 - 06/13/12 at 05:34:49

Well one reason it won't work on the Savage.....is that it does not have a case.  You have to cut a hole and mount it flush in a dash or an instrument pod.

Another reason it won't work is that you connect it to the coil wire and then set the switch for 4, 6 or 8 cylinders.  The product manual is obtainable from the link you provided.  It counts pulses from the coil - but divides the number by 4,6 or 8 depending on where you set the switch.....the switch does not work for a 1 cylinder.

And lastly.......look at the Product reviews and it seems to a a problematic tach and doesn't last very long.  Now put it outdoors on a vibrating single cylinder.......bet it doesn survive long.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cookie1247
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/13/12 at 05:37:30

A tachometer measures engine ignitions then converts them to rpms.  
Notice that the Harbor Freight tach is set up for 4,6, and 8 cylinder engines.  For a 4 cylinder engine.  it will count four ignitions as one revolution.  It will probably read 4X the correct rpms on your S40.  
I bought a relatively inexpensive tach which works very well on my S40.  Here is a link.  http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5600076
You can get this tach even cheaper on EBay.  It is very simple to wire and works perfectly..
Good luck! Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/13/12 at 06:49:41

Seems all tachs would pickup off the plug wire, then all tachs would work on everything,.....well, except if they fire more than once per rev.
I have a beautiful mount for a 2" tach already mounted that used to hold a vac gauge. I must find a 2" tach w/o a case that will work.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #4 - 06/13/12 at 06:51:53

Cookie1247 wrote on 06/13/12 at 05:37:30:
A tachometer measures engine ignitions then converts them to rpms.  
Notice that the Harbor Freight tach is set up for 4,6, and 8 cylinder engines.  For a 4 cylinder engine.  it will count four ignitions as one revolution.  It will probably read 4X the correct rpms on your S40.  
I bought a relatively inexpensive tach which works very well on my S40.  Here is a link.  http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5600076
You can get this tach even cheaper on EBay.  It is very simple to wire and works perfectly..
Good luck! Smiley

I just installed that but the white face version and it works really well and only took about 30 min to install with removing the seat and tank.

The Harbour Frieght one will work it wires up the same as the bike one I just installed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 01:51:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tack O Meter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.