General Carb Question (Read 81 times)
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

General Carb Question
06/11/12 at 06:44:25

Hello,
I was wondering what type of fix I should be looking at for the following issues, be it the white spacer mod, or just tuning up the carb without taking apart:

- Backfiring on decel. It's LOUD. To the point where I'm turning heads coming up to a stop sign/light, which isn't a huge deal to me but still..
- I notice when I change gears and let the clutch out that it sort of lags on acceleration for least a second or two and then I notice it starts to pick up.
- Another issue which could be unrelated is that the small tube that runs from the carb and just sits in front of the battery box, open to the air seems to be draining a lot of fluid. It's not really noticeable other than when I go to take the key out it is a little greasy, as well as the rest of the battery box.

I don't know too much about carburetor tuning or jetting, and I've read on here that even if you do, that it is best left to the experts. So I guess all I'm looking for is someone who can give me a few things to talk about with the mechanic before I take it in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: General Carb Question
Reply #1 - 06/11/12 at 07:13:31

Dalziel_A wrote on 06/11/12 at 06:44:25:
Hello,
I was wondering what type of fix I should be looking at for the following issues, be it the white spacer mod, or just tuning up the carb without taking apart:

- Backfiring on decel. It's LOUD. To the point where I'm turning heads coming up to a stop sign/light, which isn't a huge deal to me but still..

Check header bolts & if that doesnt help a lot, check muffler/header joint, a candle will show up a leak,, of course, it works a Lot better if ya lite it..
If that doesnt get it calmed way down, then we can do more.

Also, header bolts only when its cold, first thing in the mornin like,& dont go gettin crazy with it, much better to need to tighten them again later than fix a twisted off or stripped out thread.,1/4" ratchet & extension & one hand. thumb at ratchet head, torque applied by closing fingers, not dropping the elbow,.No INcredible Hulk fingers, the secretary can do this. YOull feel it when it pulls together.

Quote:
- I notice when I change gears and let the clutch out that it sort of lags on acceleration for least a second or two and then I notice it starts to pick up.

Look for slack in the throttle cable at the carb.
Quote:
- Another issue which could be unrelated is that the small tube that runs from the carb and just sits in front of the battery box, open to the air seems to be draining a lot of fluid. It's not really noticeable other than when I go to take the key out it is a little greasy, as well as the rest of the battery box.

Thats supposed to be plugged & drained at oil changes,,If its spitting on the key, its spittin on the rear tire,,& that mite just bite ya,
Quote:
I don't know too much about carburetor tuning or jetting, and I've read on here that even if you do, that it is best left to the experts. So I guess all I'm looking for is someone who can give me a few things to talk about with the mechanic before I take it in.

How many miles on it? What year model? How long have you been riding it? Are these issues new, since youve had it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/11/12 at 07:28:04

Dalziel_A wrote on 06/11/12 at 06:44:25:

Sticky slide, easy fix is to add 1 ounce per gal of seafoam, or clean the carb.
Quote:
- Another issue which could be unrelated is that the small tube that runs from the carb and just sits in front of the battery box, open to the air seems to be draining a lot of fluid.

gassy or oily?  If mostly gas... you got issues, maybe valve adjust, maybe you're idling too low... maybe.
Quote:
It's not really noticeable other than when I go to take the key out it is a little greasy, as well as the rest of the battery box.

and you got an oil leak, a little one that'll get bigger with time.  Known as the imfamous head plug leak.  A little RTV around the head plug and you'll be fine.

WWW   IP Logged
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/11/12 at 09:46:55

Quote:
and you got an oil leak, a little one that'll get bigger with time.  Known as the imfamous head plug leak.  A little RTV around the head plug and you'll be fine.

I did have that problem already, and am quite proud to say I fixed it myself with very little experience with motorcycles. This forum was my savior for sure. So I don't think its the oil cap.. I'm about 95% sure that its coming from the drain tube @ the carb, because before the oil cap fix I had oil all over the head, exhaust header and exhaust pipe. Now the only place where there's oil is around the battery box and side covers.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/11/12 at 10:40:46

There is a drain tube, that comes off the bottom of the airbox...  a little oil from that is normal, it should have a rubber cap on it.  You should drain it when you do an oil change...
The carb,... doesn't have any "drain" tubes... It does have two vent tubes, and they should not drip... they should be routed to the frame, above the carb... (If they are leaking, you have a sticky float valve, or a leaky petcock)...

For the area you mention,.. I'd check the tightness of the head nut, under the intake manifold... just a slight tweak on that.. it sometimes loosens a little and drips... or a loose crankcase vent tube (fat hose, goes from head to airbox)... also, check the the speedo cable is tight and has it's o-ring ...

PS... if you fixed the head plug leak,... changing jets isn't hard at all...
Step by step guide here, for each stage...
Serowbot's carb tuning tips for beginners...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:42:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › General Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.