Send Topic Print
Very weird... (Read 108 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Very weird...
06/10/12 at 13:44:35

I was out today and the scooter began sputtering. Time for gas. No problem. Before I could move my hand down to turn it to reserve, it pretty much died. It took about 5 seconds of coasting before it ran correctly again. I put 2.1 gallons in and it has been fine. It has never just refused to run when it begins to sputter. I always have the chance to think "was that a sputter? do i need gas?". Not this time.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Very weird...
Reply #1 - 06/10/12 at 14:00:15

How fast were you going? At higher speeds the float bowl empties faster and you don't have as much time to put it on reserve and have the float bowl fill. If the engine quits, or splutters enough to seriously reduce the vacuum, the petcock won't work and your float bowl won't fill at all.
This is an intelligent (????) guess, because exactly the same thing has happened to me. One of the reasons why I put the Raptor on.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 06/10/12 at 14:13:16

The speed thing makes sense. I was moving about 45mph. It is just the first time this has happened. I really like the concept of the vacuum petcock. I understand it has quirks and is costly to replace but, to me, it has some advantages over the Raptor. If this becomes the norm, I may change my mind.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/10/12 at 14:32:34

Ive been at highway speeds & had it just straight up Coff & die,,Time to reach down & pull on that lever to get prime going. Its also famous for wimping out approaching a stop, when Im busy handling clutches & shifters & brakes,,then it dies as soon as I get stopped,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 06/11/12 at 06:52:36

arteacher wrote on 06/10/12 at 14:00:15:
How fast were you going? At higher speeds the float bowl empties faster and you don't have as much time to put it on reserve and have the float bowl fill. If the engine quits, or splutters enough to seriously reduce the vacuum, the petcock won't work and your float bowl won't fill at all.
This is an intelligent (????) guess, because exactly the same thing has happened to me. One of the reasons why I put the Raptor on.

I too have the Raptor petcock, and I fitted it before measuring it vs. the OEM item.
Now I have no idea of how much reserve gas I have (I assume the OEM petcock would ensure about 1 quart...)

Does anybody know +/- how much gas one has with the Raptor petcock ?  Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/12/12 at 05:53:18

mpescatori wrote on 06/11/12 at 06:52:36:
arteacher wrote on 06/10/12 at 14:00:15:

I too have the Raptor petcock, and I fitted it before measuring it vs. the OEM item.
Now I have no idea of how much reserve gas I have (I assume the OEM petcock would ensure about 1 quart...)

Does anybody know +/- how much gas one has with the Raptor petcock ?  Roll Eyes

Not yet....but I will soon.  I am going to measure flow rates, physical size and reserve capacities just for kicks.  I hope to get it done this weekend.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/12/12 at 05:55:48

Yea, Pesci, if ya wanna know whats left, drain the tank on Run, set that aside & drain it on reserve, measure that & calculate the miles you could get,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:19:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Very weird...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.