Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brake light problem (Read 129 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
brake light problem
06/09/12 at 12:35:36

When im pulling my front brake unless i pull it really hard the light does not come on, the rear brake triggers the light right away. anyone have a problem with this and a solution to fix this?

IP Logged
TobyJug
YaBB Newbies

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Re: brake light problem
Reply #1 - 06/09/12 at 12:46:32

It sounds like a loose micro-switch located under the front brake lever.

TJug

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 12:51:14

do you know how i would replace that and any pics jug? Grin

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 18:04:30

In the tech section on the forum there is a whole series of excellent pics showing a whole tear down; engine, frame, controls, etc..., and the whole kaboodle is downloadable.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #4 - 06/16/12 at 00:14:54

cant find this thread anywhere and i got a inspection coming up want to get my brake light triggering on light pull on front brake just wont work

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/16/12 at 07:12:02

Look up underneath the brake lever at the hinge point. IN a quiet location, you can hear the switch click. & BTW, they call those things Micro Switches for a reason,, theyre dawgone Tiny,
Anyway, look at the thing & trace the wires to the first connection. Open that up & see if theres 12 volts coming in, heck, better than that, look at the manual & see if its a ground running thru the switch. A lite needs 12volts & it needs a ground, you can put a switch either one of those & control the lite, Deny the lite 12 volts, no lite, Deny the lite a ground, no lite, I THINK its a switched hot wire, but, im not certain, If you dont have 12 volts to that switch, then Id sure be lookin in the book. If ya do, then

Heck,, start here,,

test the switch. Your ohm meter should read Infinity with the lever Not Pulled & 0 ohms when it is.

& look at connectors. Its not a big hairy electrical thing to solve this. In fact, its a great beginners lesson,
You need an Ohm meter, you can land one for undewr $10.00 & a Test Lite is a handy thing, cheap too,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 06/16/12 at 08:26:14

renegade1 wrote on 06/16/12 at 00:14:54:
cant find this thread anywhere and i got a inspection coming up want to get my brake light triggering on light pull on front brake just wont work

That link to the maint pics is (it's about 44meg, so don't try it on dialup)...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392

JOG's got a good point...  the click is easy to hear, but you can also measure the switch to see if it is making contact (using a VOM).   If the switch clicks at all, then I'd start looking elsewhere because these switches typically have MTBF's of around 5 million actuations.   Many times when stuff like this doesn't work, it not the thing you're ready to indict, but some other related component.   You'd be surprised how many people go buy a new mouse, when their computer screen freezes - LOL.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #7 - 06/16/12 at 10:46:50

Ya'll think i should start by changing my pads they need to be done anyways, maybe that could help???

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/16/12 at 19:59:59

No,, not even almost related issues.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #9 - 06/16/12 at 23:22:46

HAHA oh man i guess i sounded really stupid, my thoughts were since the fronts need to be done it just being pulled and on contact its reading triggering the light... my bad i'll phone shops on monday and see if any in stock. hopefully there is a thread about doing this. SORRY FOR BEING A NEWBIE haha

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 07/29/12 at 20:34:48

360k+ wrote on 06/16/12 at 08:26:14:
.... these switches typically have MTBF's of around 5 million actuations.....

Mine must have been defective....it lasted only 10,000 miles.  It was shot, no amount of cleaning would revive it (and, trust me, I tried!).  Bike's (see my signature block) always been garaged.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brake light problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.