Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BASIC MATH QUESTION? -- Goofy Mini-Muffler build.. (Read 245 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

BASIC MATH QUESTION? -- Goofy Mini-Muffler build..
07/28/12 at 15:33:40

So, Savage Math Geniuses... here's the thing...
(Exhaust geniuses feel free to chime in as well...)

I have an older muffler that I want to adapt to fit the Savage, but it's from a 250cc dirt bike. The outlet diameter is only 3/4" BUT.... there's plenty of room to drill out more holes around this outlet so that there is more flow going through the muffler.

The stock Savage has an outlet of about 1.3" according to Lancer, or better yet, around 1.5" would be optimal.
That would mean I need an extra 3/4" worth of outlet hole, Right?

I want to drill 6 holes; that's what I think will look right aesthetically.
So does that mean I need to add 6 holes at 1/8" each to get a total of 1.5" of outlet?

I don't want to drill too many, or make it too open; I can always enlarge them later as I tune it...
I'm looking to get somewhere close to stock; slightly more open.

« Last Edit: 07/29/12 at 21:18:40 by teabowl13 »  
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: BASIC MATH QUESTION?
Reply #1 - 07/28/12 at 15:40:56

Here's a pic of it mocked up just for fun.
The magic marker lines are where I plan to drill, but I just don't want to go drilling into it until I know what I'm doing...

MINI-MUFFLER.JPG
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/28/12 at 15:47:32

As you can see, it's tiny. There won't be any glass packing inside of it at all, so the internal screen will simply act as something of a baffle. I expect it to be quite loud, which I'm not thrilled with, but I have it lying around, and I rather love the looks of it. I may try to install some extra baffling further down inside the connector pipe...

MINI-MUFFLER-2.JPG
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/28/12 at 15:51:32

with just some quick calculation to get approx the same area of opening as a single 1.5" diameter you would need to add six 1/4" holes with the 3/4" single hole to equal the same open area

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/28/12 at 16:01:38

Thank you sir!
I had a feeling my "gut-instinct-math" was off. 1/8" holes seemed too small...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/28/12 at 16:06:08

anytime,  when your dealing with tube, ya gotta figure the area of what you want compared to what you have, then go from there, It doesn't really conform to just adding what would equal the same diameter such as 2 3/4" wouldn't flow the same as 1 1.5" tube.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 07/28/12 at 16:22:02

Opppss  I missed a step on the math.  You need 6 1/2" holes.  I forgot to square the radius to get the diameter.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/28/12 at 16:28:20

I'd try it like it is first... It's only gonna' get louder as you drill...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/28/12 at 16:32:23

+1 on what Serowbot just said,

if you know it is gonna be too loud now why drill holes in it to ruin it and just make it noiser ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #9 - 07/28/12 at 16:36:09

Practically speaking, I like Serowbot's idea of trying it as-is first, and then maybe do small increments of drill-listen-drill-listen..  Wink

« Last Edit: 07/29/12 at 08:51:47 by Boule’tard »  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 07/28/12 at 17:56:12

That is a great math problem for my students! Thanks!

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/28/12 at 20:50:35

I know that if I don't drill it out, the bike will run like crap if it runs at all. 3/4 diameter opening for the exhaust on this bike is way too small; that's half the size of the rest of the header pipe.

I drilled it out with 6 1/2" holes to start. That seems to make sense to me. It'll be a couple of weeks yet before she's running; still needs all of the wiring redone and routed, but if I need to go bigger then, then I will.

It's going to be loud no matter what simply because there's no glass packing what-so-ever in that thing. The muffler has a 3/4" perforated tube running down the length of it inside; originally the space around that tube would have been packed with glass to quiet the noise. By drilling holes into the outer ring of the endcap, and around the bottom end as well, where it fits into that exhaust pipe piece, the exhaust will flow through both the outside chamber and the inside chamber. I expect this will act similarly to having a steel baffle in a straight pipe, but who knows!! I'll have to wait until it's running to find out.

(Might have to look for an alternative to pass inspection with!!)
This may end up as bench sculpture, or lawn art, but hell, I had the muffler already, and that piece of exhaust pipe only cost me $5...

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #12 - 07/29/12 at 16:38:46

Here's some math with work shown:

You're goal is an equivalent to 1.5" diameter exhaust opening. pi*R^2 = circular area.  3.14*0.75^2 = 1.76625"

You're current exhaust HAD a 0.75" diameter opening.  3.14*0.375^2 = 0.4415625"

Given 3.14*0.125^2 each additional 0.25" hole adds 0.0490625"

Subtract what you started with from your goal: 1.76625-0.4415625 = 1.3246875"  That's the amount of area you would need to make up in order to reach your goal.

How many 0.25" holes is that?  1.3246875/0.0490625 = 27. You would need 27 0.25" holes.

You've already drilled 6 0.5" holes. 3.14*0.25^2 = 0.19625"
0.19625*6 = 1.1775"

So you've already taken care of 1.1775" of the remaining 1.3246875" 1.3246875-1.1775 = 0.1471875"

The difference between your 1.5" equivalent goal and your current combination of openings is 0.1471875"  That divided by our given area for a 0.25" hole is 3.  If you don't like what you've got now, drilling 3 0.25" holes might get you there.

Sorry for being long winded.  Just wanted to make sure everything was out on the table.  I still agree with Serowbot; try it how it is before you go all out.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/29/12 at 20:59:13

Thanks HondaLavis.

I've already drilled six .25" holes, but you're saying I need 3 more.
Visually speaking, I can't add more holes, but I can make the six holes I have now larger. What size should they be?

At this point it's all guesswork, (I actually ovalled the holes out a bit with the drill since I was drilling into a 45 degree surface anyway) so I am going to leave it at that for now. once I get it running I will decide how it's working as we get it tuned up.
I can certainly drill the holes out larger if I need to, but the cool thing about this little mini-muffler is that it's made to be packed, so if I go too far and need to restrict it some more, I could open it up and stuff some stainless scrubby pad material inside to both quiet it some and to slow down the flow, so I'm not too worried.
Regardless of the tuning, it may end up way too loud to pass inspection anyway, in which case I'm back to square one; but hopefully it'll do the job.

I'm going to be welding a small 4" section of baffle into the connector pipe as well, so that should help, (That was Lancer's suggestion to me a while back.) and there's room in there to squeeze another 4" piece as well if I want to do that, so I think I have a few options here...

No matter what, I'm expecting it to sound pretty mean....  Angry

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/29/12 at 21:06:48

Here's what the holes look like now drilled out in the back end...

MINI-MUFFLER-3.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:15:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BASIC MATH QUESTION? -- Goofy Mini-Muffler build..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.