Send Topic Print
Muffler paint (Read 89 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Muffler paint
06/09/12 at 12:19:33

Apparently the red paint on a Thrush glass pack doesn't like the heat from a scooter. If I get the VHT paint, will it hold up any better?

4_001.jpg

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Muffler paint
Reply #1 - 06/09/12 at 13:12:34

I can remember we used to put those "glass packs" on cars - the paint would turn dark brown or black and flake off.

I have had pretty good luck with those rattle cans of heat paint.  The surface must be absolutely clean - you won't get good results if you spray the paint over stuff that can't handle the heat.  Sand or bead blasting is the best way to go - plug the ends or the inside will be filled with loose sand.

The fresh paint must be cured.  I most often am painting small chainsaws or lawn mower mufflers.  I start the curing process by hanging it inside my car while I am at work - then when I get home  they fit in my wife's oven (when she is not home and the house windows are open).  The last heat paint I used claimed to be ceramic and needed to be heated at 250F for 30 minutes than cooled, 400F for 30 minutes and cooled, then 600 for 30 minutes and cooled.  If you want to heat cure it on the bike it will require that you start the bike and let it idle just until the muffler gets warm....then cool it off.  Repeat this often and let it get a little bit hotter each time - don't rush it or the paint will fail.  When you have done this long enough it will be as durable as it is made to be.....not sure if it can handle a motorcycle exhaust.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 16:57:02

I put some of that High heat on my header pipe and its held up fine, should be plenty fine for a muffler. Mine was flat black. Rated at 2000 degrees

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 17:01:43

heroicseven wrote on 06/09/12 at 16:57:02:
I put some of that High heat on my header pipe and its held up fine, should be plenty fine for a muffler. Mine was flat black. Rated at 2000 degrees

I was thinking of painting my header pipe instead of wrapping it. Paint is much cheaper! Do you have any photos of your bike with the painted header?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 06/09/12 at 17:03:31

As Dave pointed out, as long as you clean it properly and cure it as per the directions it should last.  I used some on a turbo housing once and it lasted over 50K miles before I sold the car.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #5 - 06/09/12 at 17:07:34

its currently in a few pieces, working on the plug leak and waiting
patiently for my verslavy, so sorry no pics,

but... I painted it because the chrome and rubber boot stains were very unsightly, It looked better than the chrome and burnt bits, but the black was very dull.
When I get the motor running sound and leaking minimally I will go with the wrap, I feel it looks A LOT better than the flat black paint. But they sell some clear enamel, maybe that would help finish it up so its not so dull. Ive yet to try it. so not much help there.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 06/09/12 at 19:54:08

greg, My header pipe was showing a little surface rust, so I used a belt sander and 100 grit to get it as rough as I could. Rustoleum High Temp Primer followed by Rustoleum High Temp paint has lasted about 4,000 miles. I used flat black, but I would guess other colors would work, too. It says 2000 degrees on the can. About $10 a can.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:21:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.