Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
07 s40 Post-Accident Issues? (Read 108 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
07 s40 Post-Accident Issues?
06/09/12 at 11:51:46

Hey Guys,

As I've posted before I got into an accident last weekend and today I just started her up. There were some issues. Im not sure whether its from leaving it inactive for the week.

A) Was a long warm up
B) Turned off after revving in gear clutch in.
C) It doesnt sound all that consistent when it was warming up.
D) Not sure if its water from last nights rain but there is steam/smoke? coming from the middle of the pipes. (See image http://i.imgur.com/lBYu7h.jpg )
E) How stiff should the tire spokes be?

----

There was no visible damage to the engine or anyother components. It was just to the front forks and front tire.

Here are better images to see the damage to the bike:
http://imgur.com/a/iYcl7

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Re: 07 s40 Post-Accident Issues?
Reply #1 - 06/09/12 at 12:18:04

sorry to hear about your accident.  Can't really tell from the picture, but that's about the easiest place to get an exhaust leak from what I can find.  Mine leaks from under that cover.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 13:00:13

Were you at fault? If not, youll get paid for the damage. If so, ooops...sorry.

IDK about the possible leak, but I expect things got moved a bit.
Sitting still & revving the engine to warm it up isnt the best idea youre gonna have. Id suggest keeping the battery up with a tender & moving on with getting parts. YOu can sort out the rest of it after its road worthy.
I cant imagine any internal engine issues from an accident you walked away from & with a bike thats just got bent forks.,They soaked up the big shock.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 14:20:55

I suppose it's possible that the impact rattled your exhaust enough to cause a small leak there. That could cause it to run funny. It's worth looking at and making sure that seal is sealed; regardless of whether it was caused by the accident or not.

If you hit hard enough to bend the forks like that, i wouldn't trust that front wheel either until you can take it off the bike and be sure that is trued and balanced. If you can't do it yourself, it's a pretty simple thing to have a dealer or bike shop check for you; just jack up the front end, remove the wheel and take the wheel in while you wait for your fork tubes to arrive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/09/12 at 14:27:37

Im bettin the part that hit was pushed in & loosened the spokes. Easy enough to check, front tire off the ground, spin it with a wire in a board on the ground, bent to point at the rims edge. If its in, it may be saved by loosening the spokes off, more in the part furthest in, less so approaching where its okay & tightening spokes ( count turns, do it scientifically) on the areas adjoining where the  damage starts. I have tons of experience repairing 10 speed rims & I think I could do it, typing how is more than I can do, tho. Youve nothing to lose trying.
If theres a visible wrinkle anywhere, its toast.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/09/12 at 14:31:57

Is the smoke white?... I'd guess water...  There's a condensation drain hole under there... (I doubt engine problem from impact)...

Spokes should be quite stiff... Tapping them with a small wrench should deliver a ringing tone (almost musical), not a dull thunk...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 06/09/12 at 19:43:35

Guys, look at the middle picture left side. The pulley cover and belt cover seem just a tad angled like the frame is humped up slightly. I don't remember what an S40 is supposed to look like compared to the LS. Is it just me? Opinions please. I have 13,000 miles on a wrecked bike, so it's not the end of the world if you have a good mechanic. Glad you can still post, coax.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/09/12 at 19:45:53

I think it looks normal

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/09/12 at 20:17:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/09/12 at 19:45:53:
I think it looks normal

+1

btw. check the bolts on the rear motor mount... the wrecked bike I got had the allen bolts sheared off.  It had similar smack up like yours.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 06/09/12 at 20:54:04

Normal it is. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 07 s40 Post-Accident Issues?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.