Send Topic Print
Ticking problem. (Read 281 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ticking problem.
Reply #15 - 06/12/12 at 06:41:30

I wouldnt run it again till I got that front pulley looked at. When those teeth go away, thats a problem,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Reply #16 - 06/13/12 at 09:20:20

My ears deceived me.  I took off the pulley cover, belt guard and left rear shock yesterday to have a closer look.  I narrowed it down to the rear wheel, but it appears it is coming from the RIGHT side of the rear wheel.  I don't have a hoist, so I'm going to have to wait till a buddy has some time to help me out so I can get it up in the air.

It doesn't sound like a bearing.  Maybe just something stuck in the brake pad?

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #17 - 06/13/12 at 13:40:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/12/12 at 05:50:39:
Setting them so theyre quieter is okay, but if theyre quiet,, theyre too tite..

JOG, they're on the tight side of specs, but they are within specs.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/13/12 at 16:00:34

Thats where I set mine,,& they do sound nice..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 07/29/12 at 19:32:08

Dutch82 wrote on 06/13/12 at 09:20:20:
My ears deceived me.  I took off the pulley cover, belt guard and left rear shock yesterday to have a closer look.  I narrowed it down to the rear wheel, but it appears it is coming from the RIGHT side of the rear wheel.  I don't have a hoist, so I'm going to have to wait till a buddy has some time to help me out so I can get it up in the air.

It doesn't sound like a bearing.  Maybe just something stuck in the brake pad?

Something to check if nothing else obvious pans out:

This may be a long shot, but I had a similar problem on my old '81 Gold Wing.  When I finally found the source of the noise, it turned out that the rear wheel bearings were fitting a bit loosely in their housings.  The wheel bearings, having steel housings (of course) had "hogged out" their housings in the hub, which was made of aluminum.

Turned out that it was a known problem on those bikes...the only published solution being to plunk down big bucks for a new rear wheel.

Well, I'm too cheap for that, so after thinkin' on it, I miked the bearing housings' ODs and then the wheel hub cavities' IDs.  Came up with a number that represented the clearance between the two.  Got hold of some strips of stainless steel shim strips that were the proper thickness, popped those into the hub, drove in the wheel bearings....end of problem.  I had that bike for another 30,000 miles or so and the problem never came back.

Cause?  Well, I was guilty of overloading that bike a bit when embarking on long trips..... Embarrassed

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ticking problem.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.