Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Turn signal issues.
06/04/12 at 20:01:09

I posted a pic of the blown turn signal relay. Well I went to the auto store plunked down my four bucks and got a flasher. I cut of the plug and crimped on some blade connectors. Turned on the left blinker good. Right blinker NO good. Four ways good.   OH when the original relay went out when she turned on the right signal.

Before I start tearing things apart, let me hear your thoughts.

Sorry left this out: The turn signal indicator on the speedo cluster has the same deficiency

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Turn signal issues.
Reply #1 - 06/04/12 at 20:10:35

One of the problems with heat flashers is they are somewhat current sensitive; i.e., if the load doesn't pull enough current, the flasher won't flash or will flash slowly.   You can test the basic circuitry by pulling the flasher and with the turn signal on, momentarily short the connector pins.

Heat flashers use a filament arrangement that must heat up to open and close the contacts.   Thus they are load dependent.   This is why a solid state flasher that uses timing is so much better.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #2 - 06/04/12 at 20:14:43

The flasher is good as Left and four way work. All the bulbs work since they flash with four ways on.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/04/12 at 20:26:25

OK, lemme say it another way...   turn the appropriate THING on (left, right, 4 way switch) and by shorting the contacts on the flasher, see if you can simulate the flash function.  The flasher is no more than a switch, so you can make a "human flasher" by momentarily shorting the contacts off and on.   However, the real gadget is a current (amps) dependent switch, meaning it may or may not work for a given sector of lights (right, left, all) which determine the current (amps) load.  

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 20:39:12

OK so you are saying that it could work for left and four way and not work for right? If I short across the terminals while the right signal is switched to on then the light should flash. If it does then the flasher is bad?

Also if I bought the eight dollar flasher, it would remove this possible problem?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 20:48:32

either clean the contacts on the right bulb or replace it.
Also, look at the contacts in the socket. Ive lifted them with a pick, to tighten them against the bulb,
Current flow is the determining factor & the flasher has demonstrated it works on the left, so, only low current in the right side circuit can cause the low flash rate.
You can rub the bulb contacts on your jeans, Ground is the pins in the socket, make sure everything is clean,.

If that doesnt get it, look at any plug in the circuity,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 06/05/12 at 08:09:33

Yeah, JOG said it a different way.   If you have a dirty socket/bulb then by shorting the flasher manually, you should see the problem; i.e., one bulb may not light up (or at least not full briteness).   Keep in mind that the auto parts flasher you bought is rated to switch a certain current, which your Savage may or may not pull.   On my 2009 each half of the bike is front 21W, rear 21W, and indicator 3W.   That adds up (conveniently) to 45 watts total per side.   P=IE so the flasher is switching almost 4 amps per side (4 amps X 12 volts = 48 watts)

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #7 - 06/05/12 at 16:47:44

I have narrowed it down to something between the switch and the flasher. I can manually work the signal. I also went ahead and purchased the eight dollar flasher.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 06/05/12 at 19:31:44

OK, keep us informed when you get it figured out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:18:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal issues.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.