Send Topic Print
Harbor Freight engine? (Read 93 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Harbor Freight engine?
06/04/12 at 19:52:39

Boys and girls, I bought a Manco 606 Scorpion Go Kart today for a song. I would tell you the price, but I'm so ashamed. Complete except for motor and chain. It takes a 6.5 hp engine, so I'm naturally leaning toward a B&S from Craigslist. But HF has the 6.5 Predator for $100. Opinions from all or actual owners of HF motors, please. Boofer  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: Harbor Freight engine?
Reply #1 - 06/04/12 at 20:03:02

Have some friends who race go-karts & they were buying them, racing the crap out of them & then exchanging them for new ones for some reason. I don't know how well they last but I was told they run well. For that much money you can't go wrong, & with H-F if you don't like it just return it. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/05/12 at 04:53:03

I belong to a chainsaw/woodcutting forum (arboristsite.com) and the Harbor Freight engines receieved a lot of discussion.  Most of the buyers have been satisifed and feel they got a good buy, the engines performed well, started easily, and were durable.  The one engine that didn't perform well turned out to be the carb linkage was bent and rubbing on the fuel tank - so it made little power as the throttle would not open completely.  I also think the power they produce is not as much as an equivalent Honda or Briggs Engine - it might be best to go up a size as a replacement.

My own experience with Chinese motors is bad.  A fellow here at work bought 2 minibikes from Tractor Supply for Christmas for his sons.  I got them running for him - but one ran fine and one ran poorly and would not even move my 156 pounds up a small hill.  I tried everything to make the anemic engine run better - but it refused.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 06/05/12 at 09:45:34

I have looked at those as a replacement on my mower. I decided against it, not because of what I found out... but because of what you cant find... anything. No web site (other than HF to sell them) no parts, no carb parts, no muffler.. no tanks... nothing.

One other thing I thought was humorus.. on the gas-tank: "use only non-ethenol gas". I think the attached booklet even says ethenol will void the warranty and mess up the engine.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 06/05/12 at 14:33:48

i got a hf 6.5 on my kids go kart (it was the older blue one).  it's been 100% good.  

caveat:  they're just putting around fields in a homemade kart, not racing on a track

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:56:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Harbor Freight engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.