Send Topic Print
Daughter's First Bike (Read 432 times)
Preach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Daughter's First Bike
Reply #30 - 06/05/12 at 17:11:57

She does not want a sports bike.  She really liked the S40 she sat on today.

Preach

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #31 - 06/05/12 at 17:30:13

Actually, I think that the perfect bike for her would be a 450 Ducati single.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #32 - 06/06/12 at 09:13:52

if she liked the S40 that's the one to get...liking your bike and the way it feels is going to make her more comfortable if she's never ridden.

As far as the occassional hwy riding...you can add a fork brace to it and it will firm up the handling....not that I know...but that's what lots of folks say.

I think a brace is in the future for me but my hwy riding is limited so it's a maybe kinda thing... Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 06/06/12 at 09:36:15

Fork braces are also really helpful on other roads as well. I ride a lot of beaten up back country roads; we get a lot of frost heaving here in Maine, and having the brace REALLY helps with stability at all speeds. She may not find it necessary right away, but as she gets more confident, and starts going a little faster it may help.
There are also some simple and easy ways to squeeze a little more HP out of these bikes if she decides she wants a little more highway Uumph later down the road. These can be done without making a speed demon out of the bike. I suspect she's going to feel a lot more comfortable at higher speeds on the Savage than almost any 250 out there.
Besides, if she's not super comfortable going over 85MPH, That's a GOOD thing!! I've been riding for 25 years, and I'm rarely comfortable going more than 85MPH at all...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 06/06/12 at 09:41:29

Oh, and as far as the Honda Rebel's and Ninja 250's I've priced around here; I can usually find decent, low-mileage Savages for less money, and it's a longer term bike. Why buy a bike you're going to ride for 3-6 months and then outgrow? Seems like a waste of time and effort, even if you do get your money back out of it.
These bikes have been around for a long time, and they are dirt-simple to repair and easy and cheap to find parts for when you need them, so it's no big deal if she drops it and bangs it up a bit. Most of the used ones for sale I find are ridden by women and beginner riders, and they aren't beaten on or street-raced like a lot of sport bikes, so even the older ones tend to be in pretty god shape mechanically, as long as they haven't been neglected too long or left out in the rain for years.

Good Luck!  Smiley

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 06/09/12 at 02:11:08

Preach wrote on 06/04/12 at 10:22:39:
My Daughter is thinking about getting the S40 as her first bike.  It seems to weigh about the same as a 250 but with more pep.

Any concerns, such as maintenance or highway issues?

The only aftermarket seat I have found so far is from Corbin.  Are they good?  

She is average height and a little on the large size, not fat, but not skinny either.

Will read all I can about the bike before purchase.

Preach

If the only options are the S40 or a 250, take the S40.  I've owned both and there no question, the S40 out performs my Yamaha 250.  As for the Corbin seat, I have one on my S40 and consider it to be  a very worthwhile investment.  In my humble opinion, NEITHER of these two are candidates for 65 mph+ on the freeways, particularly in medium to heavy traffic.  Those conditions will increase the pucker factor by several 100 percent.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:24:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Daughter's First Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.