Send Topic Print
Daughter's First Bike (Read 432 times)
Preach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Daughter's First Bike
Reply #15 - 06/04/12 at 19:49:21

Well, she will ride on a US highway that is mostly country roads. She would not be at high speeds for long stretches as the road goes through several communities with lower speed limits.

I guess I am just wanting to make sure she is as safe as possible.  I guess I am a worrying dad.

Preach

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #16 - 06/04/12 at 22:05:24

Preach wrote on 06/04/12 at 19:49:21:
I guess I am just wanting to make sure she is as safe as possible.  I guess I am a worrying dad.

Preach  

Nuthin' wrong with that!  Wink  Let her get plenty of practice before striking out on her own.

Dave

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/04/12 at 22:39:07

The Savage/s40 is plenty of bike for anyone starting out, and then some. The highway can be a scary and dangerous place for a novice rider. Lot's of cars, trucks, debris and speed. With all that to deal with, a light nimble scoot can be a lifesaver. Also, it isn't a chore at low speed, is forgiving and durable. And did I mention, it's affordable...

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #18 - 06/05/12 at 00:39:25

This savage is my first bike and I hope to keep it for a lifetime, maybe get one of my kids on it later in life. I can do 70 comfy down the 5 here in SD no problem. Its perfect however for around town and to work. Does best around 50-60 mph.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #19 - 06/05/12 at 01:23:23

A 250 is a perfect beginner bike. The S40 is a perfect intermediate bike and a pretty good beginner bike if you respect it.
Lot of low end torque which makes it perfect around town and on secondary roads and highways. It will run 70 all day long on the superslab.
Master the throttle and clutch friction zone and keep in mind the 'little' 650 is what the BIG road bikes used to be not so very many years ago.

Disrespect it and the torque will snap your head back and try to roll you off if your not hanging on...lol
Excellent around town bike as it has plenty of power to get you out of jams and leave most cages behind. But not so much its a beast to handle. At 5'6" 200lbs she'll be fine on it.

I don't think twice about hitting the highway at 70. Only thing is wind will buffet you a bit more and you need to kind of plan your passing. Most of em top out around 85 or so.
Mine doesn't get buzzy until about 75 and then its not bad.

Its a bike small enough to learn on and big enough to do about anything you want to with it. And big enough to keep you interested for several years.
Biggest drawback is its about to small for a lot of two up riding.
That and a small tank. Id love a 6th gear as well.
Not a lot of aftermarket add ons.
Perfect for one up or commuting. Kinda sips at the gas if your not heavy handed. Easy maintenance and fairly easy to mod if your handy with tools.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #20 - 06/05/12 at 05:07:28

SuperSavage wrote on 06/04/12 at 22:39:07:
...With all that to deal with, a light nimble scoot can be a lifesaver...

Lady friend and I had that discussion about her learning to ride.  Which is "better"...a small motorcycle (her's is a Suzuki GZ250) or a large scooter?  She even considered trike's.  

I can certainly see some benefit to starting with a scooter...lighter weight, lower center of gravity, automatic CVT transmission...easier to manage and fewer controls to think about.  

The main thing that I think is bad about most scooters is that the controls are different...the rear brake is at the left hand (on most...there's at least one with a rear brake at the right foot).  I think this causes you to learn a bad habit that you later have to unlearn if/when you move up to a manual motorcycle.  For instnace, panic stop on a motorcycle after a riding a scooter...I think you'd have a tendency to grab the clutch and front brake, and forget about the rear brake.  Of course, according to "Proficient Motorcycling", forgetting the rear brake might not be such a bad habit anyway...he says essentially forget the rear brake because locking it then unlocking it can cause a high-side flip, so  I dunno.

Anyway, some of the 50cc scooters can be had used for really cheap (like in a few hundred, especially if you have a college nearby)...it might be worth picking up one temporarily.

My 9 yr old daughter asked for a kid's dirt bike after seeing me practicing on a motorcycle.  Grin  I got her a small electric scooter that will only go about 12 mph...I figured she can learn on that, and we'll take it from there.  

Dave

IP Logged
Preach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/05/12 at 06:49:42

I am going to take her to sit on a S40 this afternoon.  We will see how it fits her.  

Based on what most have stated here, she should be able to do alright by getting one.  Her highway riding will be limited and mostly commuting to and from campus.

Thanks for the input

Preach  Smiley

IP Logged
RidgeRacer
YaBB Newbies

Wife's Mechanic

Pacific North West
Reply #22 - 06/05/12 at 07:13:20

I'm teaching my wife to ride on the Savage and one nice thing is that it has enough torque that she can get it rolling with just the clutch. Of course she will have to learn clutch / throttle coordination for starts from hills etc. But for now it is nice she can concentrate on learning the feel of the clutch without stalling the bike or dropping the clutch on a racing engine.

This message sent with 100% recycled electrons
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #23 - 06/05/12 at 08:46:42

I think the S40 is a reasonable bike to learn on.  I actually encouraged the lady friend I mentioned above to just go with a GZ250 versus a big scooter to learn on.  If you want to ride anything bigger than a scooter, you'll eventually HAVE to learn how to handle the clutch/manual/throttle, etc....might as well just go ahead and learn it right the first time.

I first snagged a cheap Chinese 250cc cruiser (a Roketa MC-51 Tonga)...it looked cool and had a nice exhaust sound for a 250...but that's about it.  Wink  The engine was rev-happy, but rattled and buzzed at higher revs like it was going to fly apart.  (It didn't...if just sounded like it.)  The transmission was geared very short, especially in 1st gear...even feathering the throttle could take you from stalling to lurching forward to dropping the bike. Plus, it was heavy...it weighed about 440 lbs (the same weight as an 800cc Suzuki S50!).  After reading some of the book "Proficient Motorcyling", I think the steering geometry on that Chinese bike had some issues...even after moving, it always felt "twitchy" like any minor mistake and I'd end up on the ground.  I sold it after about a month for what I had in it.  That said, it did get me started, and I got two of my drops over with on that Chinese bike  Smiley  I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone though.

By comparison, the S40 is lighter, has much more torque, geared much taller, sits lower, and just *feels like* it wants to go straight (versus it *wants to* turn and fall over...LOL).  

That said, I think a GZ250 is a better choice for my lady friend to start out on...if she drops that little 330 lb bike, she can actually pick it up.  Grin  It doesn't have enough torque to get her into too much trouble.  I think she could probably graduate to an S40 or Savage and be happy with that for quite a while after maybe a few more months.  She has a lot of basic skills still to practice and fully master (but don't most of us?  I certainly do), but the biggest problem right now is her irritating cars behind us by poking along too slow...which I think is just as bad as going too fast...people get impatient and do stupid things (like a mini-van trying to pass us both on a left turn. Don't ask how I know.  Shocked )  At some level, I think having enough torque and HP to get you out of someone's way is a good thing, given that it's delivered in a manageable and forgiving way (as it is on the S40).

Dave

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #24 - 06/05/12 at 08:57:51

I live in a small town rural area so I get a good mix of city speeds and up to 70mph as well.  The Savage handles all this very well with me and no complaints so far.  I'm abit heavier then your girlfriend though so the higher speed on the highways and no issues for me may have something to do with that, as I come in at around 240. Fastest I've been on her is around 85 and that was passing someone on a 2 lane in a 70mph zone.  I've been out on the Super slab a few time and the big rigs don't really bother me that much either.  Most of my experience in the pas was all on dirt bikes with the occasional use of my brothers street bikes.  This is my first street bike of my own, and first time riding again in about 18 years. Myself I'm really impressed with the Savage and think it's a great little bike.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #25 - 06/05/12 at 11:38:21

Just curious preach, but has she had any riding experience at all? Friends or family members bikes?
The MSF course would be a real good place to start and then practice practice practice.

IP Logged
Preach
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/05/12 at 11:48:42

She is going to take the MSF course. In fact it is required here in Texas.   She has no experience other than as a passenger on mine.  It may be a couple of months before she gets hers anyway.  School bills come first.

Preach

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #27 - 06/05/12 at 13:21:11

You might be better off buying her a cheap beater bike like a ninja 250,cbr 250, gz 250 or honda rebel 250 to learn on untill the school bills are taken care of. Much more forgiveing if you F up.
You can pretty much get your money back out of them when you resell as well. Then move up to the 650.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #28 - 06/05/12 at 13:49:20

I see the Ninja 250 as almost equivalent to an S40, except in a sport bike flavor.  It'll top 100mph...it may be a 250, but it's certainly not in the same class as a little GZ250 or equivalent, for instance.

IMHO, of course.  Wink

Dave

IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #29 - 06/05/12 at 14:51:34

Ninja 250 has the same HP as the S40 IIRC.

Different flavours but same concept.
Great Beginner/Intermediate bikes

I commute about 70 miles a day on mine.
I find 55-60 mph to be the sweet spot but it will get up and do 75-80 mph but it feels really fast and a little twitchy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Daughter's First Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.