Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rain tires (Read 86 times)
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rain tires
06/04/12 at 07:19:09

Anyone had any firsthand experience with different tires and tread design used for daily riding on wet pavement?  My 06 S40 has the original tires but it's raining again in the Seattle area and am a bit hesitant to venture out on in these conditions.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: rain tires
Reply #1 - 06/04/12 at 07:46:22

tizzyfit wrote on 06/04/12 at 07:19:09:
but it's raining again in the Seattle area

Haha, that's funny

Standard motorcycle tires are made for wet and dry conditions, because you may get into both (or worse) during any single ride.  Riding in wet conditions obviously requires more precaution and technique.  The idea is conservation of momentum; i.e., you can't accelerate, decelerate, brake or turn as fast as you normally do.   I have ridden in snow and hail where you have to take these precautions to their extreme, but it can be done.

« Last Edit: 06/04/12 at 08:51:46 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 06/04/12 at 08:52:13

I agree, standard tires will work just fine in the wet conditions.

Watch out that tar strips, paint, and metal gratings (sewer covers and the like) are all much more slick in the rain. Runoff can also cause rocks/gravel/pebbles to collect which act like little ball bearings.

If you don't try anything too crazy (none of that knee scraping!) it'll be just fine.

not meaning to add to the negatives, but your front brake might get a little weaker, your belt might squeak, your brakes might squeal, and depending on how your bike is jetted, it might act a little different, but it isn't bad.

now, trying to drive through a puddle that comes up higher than your exhaust pipe... don't do that. I mistook a miniature lake in the road for a slightly wet spot and ended up getting enough water in my bike to kill it and make the oil go all funky. ... I also had a pod filter during that adventure out and about in the worst rainstorm in a few years so that didn't help keep water out of the engine...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 06/04/12 at 18:30:06

I rode in my first real rain yesterday... I try to avoid the rain at all costs, but this storm just sort of popped up and hit mid run.

Anyways - Full face helmet, leather jacket and pants certainly helped... I slowed down, probably more than I needed to (anywhere from 10 to 15 MPH under the posted limit), I pulled off the road numerous times to allow people that were following me to pass safely so that I wasn't holding anyone up, and I took my turns and braking a lot more cautiously.

All in all... It wasn't terrible. I never felt like I lost any bit of control over dry pavement... But it's certainly something that I'll try avoiding in the future if I can. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 20:04:13

I feel like I'd get run down at 10-15mph under the limit.

I usually slow down more than I typically do around turns (so 10-15 over instead of 20-25) and I apply the brakes much earlier. Then again, most of my commute is 25mph zones, so 10-15 over isn't so much.

If you're on a 75mph highway though... I'd find an underpass. Hydroplaning would not be fun. and that rain can sting!

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rain tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.