Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Little Dark Smoke? (Read 96 times)
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Little Dark Smoke?
06/03/12 at 18:53:46

Yesterday I installed a Dyna muffler on my completely stock bike. Today I changed out the white spacer with the 3 small washers I got from LANCER. I also changed my main jet to a 152.5 from the stock 145. I kept the pilot at 52.5. I got the mixture screw about 2 1/2 turns out. Runs good, rides good. I only discovered one weird thing. When I am in neutral and a give it throttle about 3/4 and let off, I watch my exhaust end and right when the bike is almost back to idle it lets out very little dark smoke. Only at that time and only very little. Anyone know why or any expirience with this?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Little Dark Smoke?
Reply #1 - 06/03/12 at 18:59:08

My guess would be that when the engine revs up and you close the throttle - the mixture gets very rich when the throttle butterfly closes and doesn't let much air in.  I think it is that condition the EPA is trying to avoid when they leaned these things out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #2 - 06/03/12 at 20:23:49

Quote:
guess would be that when the engine revs up and you close the throttle - the mixture gets very rich when the throttle butterfly closes and doesn't let much air in.

That would be my assumption as well. My guess for why it does it only in neutral is that 1.) It's hard to look at your muffler when you're flying down the road at 3/4 to see if any smoke is coming out and more seriously 2.) Since the engine is still pulling RPMs when the throttle is in gear its burning off the extra fuel when the throttle is closed where as in neutral since the engine is at idle and a low rpm, such a dramatic throttle change creates a quick and short lived rich condition.

I remember when my stock petcock was crapping the bed, I would have to goose the throttle to keep it running at a stop. When I did this mine would emit a little bit of dark smoke from the amount of fuel i was instantaneously throwing on the "fire" to keep the vacuum fuel flow going.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/03/12 at 20:26:22

try cleaning the TEV.

WWW   IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #4 - 06/03/12 at 21:13:09

Dumb question but what is the TEV? It's a 2012.

Does anyone think that dark smoke will hurt it? Is that normal?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/03/12 at 21:20:54

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/03/12 at 23:05:45

The Dark Smoke is gasoline that isnt burned, wasted, $$$$, literally up in smoke. YOu wont get the best out of it, if its too rich, it can wash the cylinder & cause it to mess the rings up, & thats more than just $$$, thats hassle, too.
And, if thats not enough, that black stuff will get on things, likie the brake actuator,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #7 - 06/04/12 at 08:03:17

What jet do you think I should go down to? I'll be keeping the stock air filter and box. The Dyna muffler is baffled. It does have the white washer out and LANCER washers installed. The 52.5 pilot was stock and left it in. I went from145 to a 152.5 main? Too much? Should I try 150?

Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/04/12 at 08:43:29

Yea, go down to that, at least, Im running a 150 w/ a Supertrapp & 14 disks & Im a little rich in places,
Whats your elevation above sea level? Higher = richer. Im at 370 feet,, dang near sea level.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #9 - 06/04/12 at 09:38:44

My altitude is 787 feet. I kind of thought the 152.5 was going to open it a bit much. I'm going to take it to a 150 main. And leave the pilot at 52.5. Do you think I should take the main down to a 147.5 main? I'm thinking 150? The washers that replace the white washer with seem to be doing good so I'm not going to mess with that.

Since the Dyna muffler is baffled do you think 150 main will be good? Or a 147.5?

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:17:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Little Dark Smoke?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.