Timing light? (Read 184 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Timing light?
Reply #15 - 06/05/12 at 13:47:13

Yep, I want to keep everything P&P in a tiny module box under the seat or tank.   It will need the rotor input, 12V, and ground, and have an output cable that goes to the display mounted near the speedo panel.   The temp will be optional and derived from a thermocouple or a programmable sensor like the DS18B20.   The design uses a micro controller which is mostly idle and could be doing far more, so if you guys have any ideas???   Even 9000 RPM is only 150 pulses per second or 6.67 ms between pulses.   To a micro this is an eternity - lol.  I was considering a fuel flow sensor, but since it couldn't be easily coupled with the speedo (giving mpg), it wouldn't mean much.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #16 - 06/05/12 at 21:06:13

360k+ wrote on 06/05/12 at 13:47:13:
The design uses a micro controller which is mostly idle and could be doing far more, so if you guys have any ideas???

A trip odo would be sweet, but you'd need a couple inputs that might not be easy to get including a user button.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #17 - 06/06/12 at 08:00:21

Yep, the trip meter would be nice, but like speed, distance can't be derived from RPM alone.  If I could get speedo cable input, it opens up a whole bunch of possibilities, but goes against keeping the project a simple plug-n-play.

I consider the missing trip meter on this bike a mistake, especially given it only has a 2.5 gallon tank (my beemer has 6.5 gallon).   I know that many will argue about simply running until you go on reserve, and that works well for city dwellers, but for me, "town" is 35 miles away.   If you start out for town and have to go on reserve right away, then it's iffy whether you'll make it or not.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:20:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing light?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.