Send Topic Print
Oil Weight? (Read 548 times)
Jeremyf405
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil Weight?
05/25/12 at 08:40:18

The cap says my 2000 takes 10-40 but I saw someone saying to use 20-50 for the hot Oklahoma summers.  What do you think?

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oil Weight?
Reply #1 - 05/25/12 at 08:46:37

I would never run 10-40 in a savage that is ridden in hot weather. 20-50 synthetic is the way to go. This is an air cooled engine that gets hot and is jetted lean which makes it run even hotter so use only high quality oil like Mobile 1 bike oil or amsoil or Rotella.

Page 10 in the manual posted on here shows oil weights recommended First on the list is 20-50! Temps in the southern half of the US during summer get Hot, so like i said use 20-50 oil. This bike holds such a small amout of oil to begin with so why not use the best stuff out there.  Smiley Synthetic oil is superior to dino based oil period!

« Last Edit: 05/27/12 at 06:16:39 by Drifter »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/25/12 at 08:50:20

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/25/12 at 16:23:55

Drifter has an opinion, and he shared it.   Maybe he'll tell us why he thinks that.   That should be educational.

Personally, I think any JASO approved synthetic that ends in 40 weight is the correct oil weight for year round use in a Savage.   So does Suzuki, for what that is worth.

You know, we've had lots of oil discussions in years past and something that did stick out to me is oil performance (head temp sump temp) in the actual Savage engine was affected more by viscosity/weight than by the actual brand differences.

« Last Edit: 05/25/12 at 19:24:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 05/25/12 at 23:17:06

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/26/12 at 04:37:41

What part do you need explained , that air cooled engines run hotter than liquid cooled ones or that lean jetting causes increased heat, or that synthetic oil has a higher temp tolerance before breaking down or that Mobile 1, Amsoil and Rotella are good oils............. Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/26/12 at 04:49:38

The slow turning Savage does not need expensive oils to have longivity. But thats only one of the reasons why we ride them. But opinions are fine.
Rotella 15-40 is great.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/26/12 at 05:14:49

Ive seen one of these at a WalMart with just around 90,000 Miles on the odometer. I cant tell you how strongly I doubt that poor thing ever saw any oil that cost over $2.00 a quart. It was so ratty looking, I wonder if it was under cover at nite. BUT, it was an employees daily driver, I do believe,
POint is, todays lousy oils are better than the best available in the 60's. You can spend more & pour pure Looove in the crankcase, but I doubt youll ever realize a difference in life span or maintenance required because of that choice. The only way I would expect that to change is if someone rides in parades, Idling along at 5 MPH for an hour in Horrid Heat,, & we all know how stupid that is,
Remember when a car with 100,000 miles on it was considered Used UP? NOw, I see cars with 300,000 on them. It isnt the metallurgy or manufacturing process, its the oil thats so much better, well,, 80% is the oil,,
Moral of the story is, Use a good oil, & for flat tappet applications, something like Rotella is a fine choice.
Change it when it needs it. Mine lets me know when its time. OIl consumption goes up,,

Say I ride 5 thousand miles a year, 20 years = 100,000
Naaah,, Im not gonne be here that long,,
7,500/year, 13.333 years,, Ill be 70..

I dont think I need to worry about wringing 200,000 out of it,
Ill just save some $$$, buy the oil I believe will keep it alive, & not worry about it.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #8 - 05/26/12 at 06:34:49

I have to agree with Routy on the need for expensive oils for longevity.  The biggest thing to remember is – change - change – change that oil.

I myself have a problem with the 15-40 aspect of Rotella.  Nintey percent of an engine’s wear is at startup, so 15 weight motor oil is not going to get to critical points within said engine as fast as ten weight – fact.

Bet you Rotellers don’t know what the fricking “T” stands for behind Rotella.  In lubrication circles it stands for model T like a Ford.  It is old technology.  The multi-vis molecule  that makes it a 15-40 is shaped like a curly spring.  Expansion and contraction at different temps make it get bigger and smaller.  It’s a very strong molecule with strong bonds.
However, it’s too strong and it doesn’t shear but bends making it a thicker wad to pass though the tight clearances within your GASOLINE engine, thus starving the film of lube between the critical parts with golf ball sized lubrication molecules.  So when Buba trucker tells you he gets better oil pressure as the miles rack up with the Shell Roteller T in his Diesel, now you know why.

One more thing – where on that pic up there does it say gasoline motor oil? Well it sez heavy duty / haute tenue, its got to be good!!!1  What is good for a diesel engine isn’t good for gasoline engines and vice versa.  They are different animals.  If you have a motor oil that is a multi-use it is a compromised formula therefore not the best formula for your use.  It chemical engineering, people.

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 05/26/12 at 06:37:53

I use Rotella T6 5W40.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #10 - 05/26/12 at 07:19:27

Which oil would Jesus use?

IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #11 - 05/26/12 at 07:25:43

Olive oil

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #12 - 05/26/12 at 07:35:53

Uno-Lung wrote on 05/26/12 at 07:25:43:
Olive oil

Fish oil?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/26/12 at 09:15:43

Uno-Lung wrote on 05/26/12 at 06:34:49:
I have to agree with Routy on the need for expensive oils for longevity.  The biggest thing to remember is – change - change – change that oil.

I myself have a problem with the 15-40 aspect of Rotella.  Nintey percent of an engine’s wear is at startup, so 15 weight motor oil is not going to get to critical points within said engine as fast as ten weight – fact.  Agreed -- but 5 points on starting weight isn't very much difference.

Bet you Rotellers don’t know what the fricking “T” stands for behind Rotella.  In lubrication circles it stands for model T like a Ford.  Actually, it stands for Triple Protection.  It is old technology.  The multi-vis molecule  that makes it a 15-40 is shaped like a curly spring.  Expansion and contraction at different temps make it get bigger and smaller.  It’s a very strong molecule with strong bonds.
However, it’s too strong and it doesn’t shear but bends making it a thicker wad to pass though the tight clearances within your GASOLINE engine, thus starving the film of lube between the critical parts with golf ball sized lubrication molecules.  So when Buba trucker tells you he gets better oil pressure as the miles rack up with the Shell Roteller T in his Diesel, now you know why. Share some source material with us that says an oil molecule (no matter how bunched up you want to make it) cannot fit into the oil film clearance in even the tightest manufactured engine.   Here's my source that says otherwise.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CGgQFjAB&...

One more thing – where on that pic up there does it say gasoline motor oil? Actually, it says JASO MA MA2 approved motorcycle oil right on the bottle.  Well it sez heavy duty / haute tenue, its got to be good!!!1  What is good for a diesel engine isn’t good for gasoline engines and vice versa.  They are different animals.  If you have a motor oil that is a multi-use it is a compromised formula therefore not the best formula for your use.  It chemical engineering, people.

We got us an oil expert here, sharing his knowledgeable opinions with us.   Since he wants to play the game, I declare the blasted churned earth into existence yet again, The Endless Oil War recommences !!!!!

Now, only a few things limit the endless oil war, so your FACTS and SOURCES become the most important elements of taking your best shot.   During the oil war, bystanders can ring in asking for your source material so they can go read it.   Failure to be able to do so counts mightily against you.

Yup, failure to support your statements can lead to harsh sentencing by the Kangaroo Kourt  (last KK sentence involved officially changing a poster's list name to Bullshooter Bill fer lying to us all repeatedly).

Remember, we are talking about the Savage motorcycle engine, not your other bike or your car.  Visitors get the first 3 shots, unencumbered (remember to state only facts you can find sources and proof fer) so fire away, young Oil Warrior.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/26/12 at 09:36:01

I love this place..

Aaaand in This Corner,, weighing in at 15-40 weight..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:29:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Weight?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.