360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Oil Weight?
Reply #30 - 05/26/12 at 17:32:31

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/26/12 at 11:47:47:
So, how do you manage to honor your manufacturer's oil requirement with a JASO MA MA2 wet clutch motorcycle certified product that DOES meet the old SF/SG/SH oil specs?

Now I regret not following my instincts and staying clear of the foray. Substitute any two oils named here (or in other oil threads) for Ford vs Chevy, and the age old war of opinions continues...   only the subjects change.

And darn that Suzuki for specifying an oil that was already 12 years obsolete when my bike was made, and having the audacity to print it in the manual!   OF replies:  In their defense the spec was current when the bike was first designed and built -- it is our US government (CAFE standards) that caused the oil itself to shift out from under the bike like it did.  Seriously, my only point was that I'm staying with manufacturer recommendations, as I have always done with the rest of my stable (including a BMW GS with catalytic).

« Last Edit: 05/26/12 at 18:46:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #31 - 05/26/12 at 17:39:37

Use a motorcycle oil and your on the right track,Using a diesel oil is about as dumb as you can get.Why don't Suzuki tell you to use a diesel oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #32 - 05/26/12 at 17:45:17

Why were my posts edited? OF: Just keeping count of the 3 free shots that I promised the newbies at the start of the oil war. I did so much searching about this stuff and all I've found is a bunch of debates on a bunch of other motorbike and oil forums, all complete with no straight answers. The best answers I could find were on BobTheOilGuy and apparently the specs that Shell posts actually do meet JASO specs but they also don't list some of the other specs that are required for the JASO cert.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #33 - 05/26/12 at 18:01:31

I'm a newbie to the forum but that's where that ends. Feel free to pick apart what I've said. I wouldn't have said it if I didn't want to be part of the discussion. I'm also quite offended by the editing of my posts. As much as I hate being wrong, I'd rather be wrong than patronized.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 05/26/12 at 18:20:22

Now, has every body been issued their kevlar underwear and have they been issued their main battle rifle and hand grenades?

Are we ready to begin?    Three free shots were offered and three were taken, so I guess I can respond now.

=======================

Dear Uno

First, quoting out of country specs in an attempt to mislead folks is kinda like cheating -- Kalamazoo is not located in Canada, is it?

Current American spec'd Rotella T dino 15w40 is certified for JASO DH2 and MA which are the current specifications for Japanese cars (DH2 now, used to be MA2) and Japanese motorcycles (MA).  Ditto for T6, but we weren't talking about T6 earlier, now were we?   Trying to cloud the water with a synthetic when you and Routy were clearly talking about dino 15w40 doesn't help your position much either.  

Next,  your molecule thing is still ridiculous,  here are your own words yet again.   My, it certainly does sound like you were talking about Rotella T 15w40, doesn't it?

"Bet you Rotellers don’t know what the fricking “T” stands for behind Rotella.  In lubrication circles it stands for model T like a Ford.  It is old technology.  The multi-vis molecule  that makes it a 15-40 is shaped like a curly spring.  Expansion and contraction at different temps make it get bigger and smaller.  It’s a very strong molecule with strong bonds.
However, it’s too strong and it doesn’t shear but bends making it a thicker wad to pass though the tight clearances within your GASOLINE engine, thus starving the film of lube between the critical parts with golf ball sized lubrication molecules."

Golf ball sized, huh?

Cavie, yes Rotella products were originally developed and sold for diesel engines.   And they have been used in motorcycles for decades now because they have all the ZDDP we need and none of the energy star moly crap we DON'T need.   They are now recognized by most motorcycle sites as "motorcycle oil" nowdays as they meet all the requirements of the JASO rating board and are JASO certified for both Japanese diesel cars and Japanese gasoline motorcycles.

Cavie, no, your PDF file is either out of country or out of date, both USA Rotella products are JASO rated in the USA and have been for over a year now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rotella+jaso+ma&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubun...

Next, what was removed from your posts?   If I did it, it was inadvertent I assure you.

Hey Bill, how's it going?     Try to help them out if you can, they need it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 05/26/12 at 18:48:09

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

Built2Last66 has his own discussion now over in the TT -- and he can talk about his religious stuff over there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #36 - 05/26/12 at 18:51:59

Nothing was removed. I'm over it. No harm, no foul. Thank you for the information, I'll definitely keep it and spread it if I come across the discussion elsewhere.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 05/26/12 at 19:08:30

Part of what frustrates folks is the information is constantly changing on them.   Example MA-2 is now DH-2, which caught me out.  Think of what changes have taken place since the Savage started being built and it is amazing it does as well as it does today, all leaned out and fiddled with as it is.

We still don't know if the Savage is done in 2012 as a in-production bike, or if they will put a fuel injection package on a 2013 model.

And if they do give it a few more years, will they ever acknowledge the oil spec SF/SG/SH vs the current SN being sold now thing in the owner's manual?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Uno-Lung
YaBB Newbies

all great things are
simple

Kalamazoo
Reply #38 - 05/27/12 at 05:23:55

You sunk my Battleship, Oldfellow.
I defer to your superior updated knowledge.

It was a fun ride and I got my post numbers up writing about one of the reasons why Shell reformulated Rotella T over the past ten years.

I’m basically here to learn about my motorcycle and have fun doing it and that I did.  Thank you for taking the time, Oldguy.

Do you really believe that anyone would think a golf ball sized lubrication molecule is real?  If you do I’ve got a slightly used toy Yoda that you could talk to when the one in your head has a tummy ache.

"You can't change the world but at least you can try and put a dent in it!" Smootchy
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #39 - 05/27/12 at 09:04:13

I love oil war threads...

I bought my bike brand new in February 1998. In Biloxi Mississippi. From a dealership that actually knew what it was doing, owner/salesman and the mechanic were former factory backed Suzuki racers.

They said run the factory fill until the first service. From then on run 15W40 at temps below 60*F 20W50 at temps greater than that.

Brand doesn't matter. Dino versus synthetic doesn't matter.

The engine proper is 1940's technology.  The clutch isn't much more modern.

I've run 10W40 motorcycle synthetic in mine, in the deep south, in mid-summer. 300 miles and the crankcase was dry. Refilled it with automotive/diesel  dino oil and never looked back.

FWIW, my timing chain still doesn't rattle and the valves have NEVER had to be adjusted. Clutch is still in great shape. Never any glitter in the drain pan... And that bike has seen hundreds of wide open throttle miles, thousands of miles of normal riding.

Oh, never compare oil charts air-cooled HD to air-cooled metrics unless you mean old CB750s with dry sump oiling. Savages are wet sump, completely different than those.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #40 - 05/27/12 at 10:22:12

I use Shell Rotella... 'cause all the smartest bikers I know use it...
(saves me having to think for myself)... Huh...

... but,.. any quality brand name 10w-40 is fine.. as long as it ain't "fuel saving" specialty oil...
Don't ever use "house brand" oil, e.g., Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Kmart, etc... in anything but door hinges...
... and only in door hinges of people you don't like... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 05/27/12 at 11:38:06

and only in door hinges of people you don't like

I guess Ill never buy a house brand, Im not the kinda guy who oils hinges for people I dont like.,unless theyre in my house, & the door wont open so they can leave,,Then IM usin Kroil, so they can hurry up & GO!

HEY!!  My windows never stick,, he he he,, Bye now,, y'all come back now, hear?  Grin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #42 - 05/27/12 at 22:38:12

I agree with Serowbot. I know about shearing molecules and what heat does and all that technical stuff, but I was paying $24 a gallon and my friends were RACING $10,000 bikes with Rotella. Sometimes you got to quit reading and thinking and just look around. Turned over 20,000 last Friday. 13,000 mine and about 10,000 on Rotella. Use what you like. Just keep it clean.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #43 - 05/28/12 at 05:45:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/27/12 at 11:38:06:
and only in door hinges of people you don't like

I guess Ill never buy a house brand, Im not the kinda guy who oils hinges for people I dont like.,unless theyre in my house, & the door wont open so they can leave,,Then IM usin Kroil, so they can hurry up & GO!

HEY!!  My windows never stick,, he he he,, Bye now,, y'all come back now, hear?  Grin

Quite frankly, it depends on the house brand in the first place.

In Europe, three supermarket brands I will happily buy are French home brand Auchan (oil c/o Elf)...

... Carrefour (oil c/o Mobil) ...

... and LeClerc (oil c/o Castrol)

All oil companies are well known and respected for their oils, and have successfully sponsored sports events.
So, if it turns out that Walmart oil is actually produced by... Pennzoil (that's what I found) or by Quaker (different search engine, go figure)... or by Warren (???) are they trustworthy ? They should well be !

Cheesy

As for "generic" or "substandard" oils, these are often 2nd hand, recycled motor oils which are collected, filtered and centrifuged (to get all the muck out) chemically cleansed and "revitalized" (=re-additived) and resold as "20W-40", which is really the new age equivalend to dad's old SAE30.

Personally, I "feed" my girl with "10W-40 SG/..." (forget the brand, it was on sale at 1€/liter !!!)which is well beyond Owner's Handbook required standards, and never had an issue, not even in winter startups or in the hottest of summer traffic jams.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 05/29/12 at 07:45:57

Higher priced oils have a better package with more of the stuff that is good for an engine like zinc not just the bare minimum to get certified. This engine uses so little oil and runs so hot why not give it the good stuff??  As several people have said change it often, gears brake down the good stuff cheap even faster........... Wink

You guys that dont like synthethic oil, as an experiment dig deep and buy some mobile 1 or amsoil and try it...you WILL notice the engine is quieter and shifts alot smoother and your gas mileage will be better due to less friction the syn oil provides.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Weight?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.