Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy has some questions (Read 168 times)
Jon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New guy has some questions
05/23/12 at 16:02:30

I've always loved motorcycles, even since I was a little kid, but I have yet to even ride one. Now that I'm about to graduate college and have managed to save up some money, I think it's time for me to reward myself.

This summer I plan on taking a formal class, with some riding included. I figure that will be enough for me to get my feet wet and determine whether or not I feel ready to take the leap.

I am considering a savage as my first bike, I love the idea of a simple bike that weighs practically nothing, has a single carb and a big single cylinder. After looking at sr500s, royal enfields, and buell blasts I finally found the savage. I've always liked the stance of UJM bikes, so after finding out that Ryca has managed to turn the savage into a nice looking cafe racer I feel like my search for a bike has come to a close. I have a few questions about the modifications required to alter the stance of the savage. I don't want a cafe racer as much as I want a very simple looking old-school roadracer.

1. Seems like having an 18" back rim is a big part of what I want, and I see that Ryca offers a service where they'll lace your hub into the correct wheel and throw on a tire for a reasonable amount of money. I did see in some threads that I searched through that some people were receiving wheels with bent and improperly installed spokes from Ryca, have these issues since been resolved?

2. With the 18" wheel in the back, what is the longest shock I can fit? I think I read somewhere that it's 12.5" and I wanted to confirm this.

3. Do I need the lowering kit for the front end or can I slide the shocks a few inches up the triple tree and throw some clip on bars?

4. I was planning on using Ryca's rearsets, I assume I need to get their shorty muffler and exhaust adapter to make it work too.

Thanks for your help guys!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New guy has some questions
Reply #1 - 05/23/12 at 16:06:39

Seems like you'll get the best answer from the source.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/23/12 at 19:13:12

I would certainly take a class, and ride some bikes before you determine what style of bike you want.  What looks cool may not be comfortable, and what is comfortable may be what you need if you end up liking to ride long distances.  I would suggest buying a nice used bike as your first bike.  I would suspect everyone will drop a bike a few times while learning - even a Savage.  Go on eBay and look at the fuel tanks available for the LS650.....lots of them are dented.  Also if it turns out that you want a different style bike after riding a little bit, you won't lose a lot of money as you would if you buy a new bike.

Where do you live?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/23/12 at 20:19:40

Used for starters is a grand idea, light & easy to handle, another,,If youre tall enough, a Kawasaki 250 is a real good machine, Theyve been building that engine for a very long time, I have a friend who knows a big guy who rides one for his daily commuter & has fun on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/23/12 at 23:24:26

Thanks for the input guys!

I was definitely planning on buying used. It seems like savages are a bike that a lot of people "grow out of" but I'm not planning on every really going fast.

I am definitely going to try a few bikes, but what is nice about the savage is how people have managed to make it very adaptable.

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #5 - 05/24/12 at 07:44:14

Jon,

Welcome.

You will find this "group" to be very helpful, very kind, and very honest. Listen to the wisdom.  I did the same thing you are doing, looked at different bikes to get back on after 20+ yrs of zero riding.

I am a big boy, 6'1 and 250.........and i still dropped mine the first day. fortunately no harm and no foul, (edge of pavement, bike on grass...at least i kept it off the hydrant  Shocked) but even at my size i couldn't keep it off the ground.  So yes.....definitely used and as light and user friendly as possible.

My S40 is a great little ride for the commute and running around town, but as the old saying goes, "a man has to know his limitations" and she has some.

Good luck choosing. If you stick with the Savage, you won't find a greater bunch of ladies and gents than you have on this site to help you with it.

Safe ridin,

Scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/24/12 at 08:10:38

Studies have been done that show dirt bike riders drop their street bike less. Learning what it feels like when tires have less than perfect traction is the trick. The body responds after a few slipping/sliding experiences, it learns which way to shift to "maintain an upright position" ( which is PC for not falling down). It also gives a guy time to learn to not panic at the first sign of a slide, if you can possibly figure a way to lay hands on a small dirt bike, a 125 has a lot of power unless youre a big dude, & the On road/Off road bikes are great, you can ride out of town to the trails & ride home,
And youll be away from traffic & youll have fun,, except for the expense, I dont see a downside.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/24/12 at 20:59:43

Jon wrote on 05/23/12 at 23:24:26:
... but I'm not planning on every really going fast...

Oh, you say that NOW!!!

I've been building a RYCA-like Savage with a friend of mine all winter and it's only half done. (See the link to my build thread in my signature below). I've put a lot of heart, a good bit of money and way too much time into this already, and for all I know it may suck for me if I ever get it done; and I've been riding motorcycles almost continuously for 25 years.

Definitely get something used and cheap to start out with; but not too used or too cheap. You want something you can ride and rely on without having to be too fussy with. If you want a UJM standard style ride, that's a great way to start out on the street. The upright riding position really helps give you stability and confidence on the road, and it's the most functional riding position. The stock Savage isn't too crazy cruiser-y, so if you do get one, just ride the thing for a while; a whole summer, before you start thinking about chopping it all up.

RYCA bikes and other cafe bikes look wicked cool in pictures, but they are often more difficult and tempermental to ride, as well as wicked uncomfortable. Every bike is different for every rider, and I can't tell you how many bikes I've bought over the years that I thought were super cool, only to find that I hated riding them or hated owning them.

My other bike is a '92 750 Nighthawk. It's about as exciting to look at as a door knob, but it's been one of the best riding, most comfortable, and most reliable bikes I've ever owned. Paid $1500 for it in perfect running condition, and haven't had to modify a thing. (I have done some stuff for fun, but haven't HAD to) It's been awesome.

Don't be fooled by a sexy package; the only way you'll really know what kind of bike you want to ride is to go out and ride a bunch of bikes.

Cheers!!  Grin

IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 05/25/12 at 09:39:11

Well, you have certainly come to the right place if you are thinking about a Savage. I was in your position last summer and doing research and finding this site was a huge part of me becoming a Savage.
After about a year now, I am extremely happy with this bike. It was super easy to learn not only to ride on, but to wrench on as well.  Being able to work on your own bike and keep costs down and it out of the dealership is huge for me seeing as it's my daily rider now.
I still want to graduate to a bigger cruiser for long trips, but for an around town commuter bike she's solid!
Good luck choosing and whatever you decide on, ride safe!

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 05/25/12 at 10:08:37

Welcome Jon,  every motorcycle has characteristics and personality, but until you gain little experience, it will be difficult to know what you really like.   You can read all the books you want about playing a guitar, but you still won't be able to play until you've had some hands on experience  (I was going to use women as an example, but felt the guitar analogy safer   Roll Eyes  )   The only thing I would say is to start slow and simple until you gain valuable experience; i.e., don't buy a Hayabusa right out of the chute.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:48:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New guy has some questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.