My savage like gas.... (Read 185 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
My savage like gas....
05/11/12 at 15:34:49

No the MPG is not bad.... but my savage like GAS not Ethanol ! Finally after two weeks I got by one of only a FEW places within 60 miles that has REAL gas.. Boy that sure perked up the ole gal!

PS: Price was $3.89/gal

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: My savage like gas....
Reply #1 - 05/11/12 at 15:41:46

I am lucky here as it sells everywhere. but it is 4.15.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/14/12 at 04:18:42

Fuel with 10% ethanol runs just a tad leaner than pure gasoline.  So the combination of being jetted by the factory to run lean and clean...along with the leaner burning ethanol mix.....means that your engine is running pretty lean.  When you run pure gasoline the mixture gets a little closer to the ratio the engine would like to have to run well.  Cars with fuel injection and oxygen sensors can adjust the fuel/air mixture to work well with any combination of gasoline and ethanal that comes from the pumps - engines with carbs are not that sophisticated.

Unfortunately it is a real "treasure hunt" around the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area to find gasoline that is not blessed with ethanol.  I have to drive to Liberty, Indiana and go to the CountryMark to buy 90+ gasoline that is not mixed with ethanol.  I take a trailer and a 55 gallon drum or two and stock up.  I use this gasoline in my bikes and lawn equipment and I no longer have problems with corrosion in the fuel system or dissolving fuel lines.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/14/12 at 05:47:01

Right now 100 per cent gas is $3.75 about 12 miles from where I live,I get about 4% better mileage on my car with it. Motorcycle runs better I don't check mileage on it any more,It was always around 60 mpg.87 octane

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 05/14/12 at 06:39:43

Dave wrote on 05/14/12 at 04:18:42:
Fuel with 10% ethanol runs just a tad leaner than pure gasoline.  So the combination of being jetted by the factory to run lean and clean...along with the leaner burning ethanol mix.....means that your engine is running pretty lean.  When you run pure gasoline the mixture gets a little closer to the ratio the engine would like to have to run well.  Cars with fuel injection and oxygen sensors can adjust the fuel/air mixture to work well with any combination of gasoline and ethanal that comes from the pumps - engines with carbs are not that sophisticated.

Unfortunately it is a real "treasure hunt" around the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area to find gasoline that is not blessed with ethanol.  I have to drive to Liberty, Indiana and go to the CountryMark to buy 90+ gasoline that is not mixed with ethanol.  I take a trailer and a 55 gallon drum or two and stock up.  I use this gasoline in my bikes and lawn equipment and I no longer have problems with corrosion in the fuel system or dissolving fuel lines.  

I agree with your analysis ... and raise you...

Not only is Ethanol, providing a leaner mixture to our bikes... BUT because I live in Mississippi.. humidity often runs 100%.. thus the Ethanol is sucking moisture out of the air fairly dramtically. I truley think that is a large part of our problem down here, large amounts of water mixed in the gas.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/14/12 at 06:48:41

Pine wrote on 05/14/12 at 06:39:43:
Dave wrote on 05/14/12 at 04:18:42:

I agree with your analysis ... and raise you...

Not only is Ethanol, providing a leaner mixture to our bikes... BUT because I live in Mississippi.. humidity often runs 100%.. thus the Ethanol is sucking moisture out of the air fairly dramtically. I truley think that is a large part of our problem down here, large amounts of water mixed in the gas.

Try living on a barrier island in the Gulf of Mexico where 100% humidity is normal. Add to that, a tourist town with many boats & RVs that get stored for months. I never had customers with these problems when we had 100% gas. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #6 - 05/14/12 at 06:48:53

10% ethanol is mandated in Connecticut for smog control. No straight gas is available. I add either Sea Foam or Lucas Fuel Treatment or Startron to improve stability and reduce corrosion. It's a clean air tax, but likely one of the better purposes for the taxes I pay.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 05/25/12 at 10:54:51

Wow my post was all the way back on page 7!

So been cummuting daily for two weeks with all "real gas".

Daily cummute is just a tad under 20 miles per day. I also use the bike to go meet friends and go to the movies and such. Note that while I don't "rag" the heck of it, I am not going to be all meek and not enjoy the ride either.

85 miles  on 1.47 gallons of 87 octane pure gas for an MPG of 57.8
Bike is 100% stock except for a fuel filter.  yeah that beats a truck at 18 MPG by just a tich, as my momma would say.

So at 55 MPG, I should be able to get 154 miles per tank, including reserve.

Now I can spend my gas saving on filling me up at lunch instead of at the pump.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 05/25/12 at 13:39:07

I don't think I can even find any without ethanol here.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:08:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My savage like gas....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.