Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can Somebody please help me? (Read 299 times)
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Can Somebody please help me?
05/21/12 at 11:47:50

I really need to fix my plug leak, its gonna to the point where i get oil on my shoes as i ride.  Can somebody please tell me what i neeed to do to order the part? I asked earlier and all someone did was give me the link to the topic about the plug leak. Im asking how to do i actually order the part, thats all i need. Do i need to go a suzuki dealership or order it online or what.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Can Somebody please help me?
Reply #1 - 05/21/12 at 11:54:15

It should be on the microfische at Bikebandit or Ron Ayers, right?  I'd look it up for you, but I'm on dialup and the diagrams take forever to load..

Good luck with the fix, it sounds like the leak is getting serious!

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/21/12 at 11:58:54

You may not need a new part - you might be able to just take the old one out, clean the area, then re-install the plug with a sealer.

I believe the part that is involved is #12 in the following parts page.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432111&catego...

Here is the link to the process......with photographs:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/21/12 at 12:32:16

Just a side note here...you said, "to the point where i get oil on my shoes as i ride," Have you checked the engine bolts that hold the pegs and go through the front of the engine? They can leak right there next to your feet as well if not snugged down enough. Good luck with the cap fix though...I haven't had to tackle that one yet (knock on wood)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #4 - 05/21/12 at 12:53:46

I just ordered the part, and i went and bought some sealant. Im gonna be attempting the fix tomorrow, without the replacement part and i will be tightening all of the bolts.
Now when taking off the gas tank am i gonna have to drain it first?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/21/12 at 12:58:47

martinfilms34 wrote on 05/21/12 at 12:53:46:
I just ordered the part, and i went and bought some sealant. Im gonna be attempting the fix tomorrow, without the replacement part and i will be tightening all of the bolts.
Now when taking off the gas tank am i gonna have to drain it first?

My vote is yes.....drain the tank at a minimum.  It is much easier to move around when it is lighter.  Also.....you may need to remove the petcock to get the tank off.....some do....some don't.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #6 - 05/21/12 at 13:03:56

Okay, and one more thing, it seems to be leaking from all over now. Which kind of has me worries. Its leaking from directly under the bike, right under the stand, and also on the opposite side of the engine.
Im starting to think that this may be more than just the head plug leak which really has me worried. In reality I'm just a kid, learning mechanical skills. My dad who was a mechanic, works in another country. I don't have money for a mechanic either. Work hours are terrible right now.

What should i look for leaking? I just looked over the engine there seems to be oil pretty much everywhere in small bits. I really don't know where to get started and im starting to think that im way in  over my head.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 05/21/12 at 13:11:32

Hang in there and don't panic.  Wink  First, get some paper towels or shop cloths and wipe it down...get the existing oil off so you can better see where it's leaking from.  Then, take it from there, you'll do fine.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #8 - 05/21/12 at 19:43:40

At this point I'm not even sure where to start.
It seems that just one week ago it only leaked from one very small part. Now i think its leaking from the farthest back exhaust cover area. The leak from the head plug is going to the side and to the bottom of the bike. And it leaks a pretty good amount.
    I purchased some sealant to fix the head plug, but now i notice i dont have any torque wrenches, so I can't even attempt to fix it. Any body have any suggestions? Im just really starting to get frustrated.

Can i do it without a torque wrench? Cause it seems that the chance of getting one is very low! Somebody please help

IP Logged
jamesjoshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

canada
Reply #9 - 05/21/12 at 19:58:58

try a rubber basepan plug for a car,they may come in 3 different sizes??

jamesjoshua   IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #10 - 05/21/12 at 20:08:30

I'm in the same boat floating down the same river  Sad, I hope you solve it.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 05/21/12 at 21:44:42

martinfilms34 wrote on 05/21/12 at 19:43:40:
At this point I'm not even sure where to start.
It seems that just one week ago it only leaked from one very small part. Now i think its leaking from the farthest back exhaust cover area. The leak from the head plug is going to the side and to the bottom of the bike. And it leaks a pretty good amount.
    I purchased some sealant to fix the head plug, but now i notice i dont have any torque wrenches, so I can't even attempt to fix it. Any body have any suggestions? Im just really starting to get frustrated.

Can i do it without a torque wrench? Cause it seems that the chance of getting one is very low! Somebody please help

Do you have a Harbor Freight or a Northern Hydraulics near to you?  You don't have to pay a lot of money for a torque wrench, HF sells one for less than $20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #12 - 05/21/12 at 22:06:54

I had the ever feared plug leak at one point too. It doesn't take long to make a mess. Don't fear, when the oil gets warm it gets thinner and spreads around easier. Then it does its job, and picks up dirt, all the dirt and debris in the air and from the road as you ride. Then when you shut the bike off it cools and coagulates getting thick again. What your left with is a mess that looks FAR more alarming than what the problem actually presents. As far as my oil leak was concerned, I never had to add oil, it just made a massive mess.

You can do the fix without a torque wrench. I had a torque wrench but couldn't get it on most of the bolts anyway. Most of the bolts are in the ballpark of 12 ft. lbs. That's pretty much hand snug with a ratchet assuming you're not Hulk Hulgan.

Take your time on the fix, and use the print out with a piece of carb board to keep your bolts in order. You can look at the piece of paper and match up where everything goes easy as cake. Clean where the cover goes on very well. When I put the sealant on, I went to a pharmacy (Wal mart of Walgreens work great) and asked for a syringe to apply the sealer. They will give them out for free, get one without the needle. Makes the application much easier.

DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE MESH SCREEN (for the crank case breather) BACK INTO PLACE AND A RUBBER SPACER BEFORE PUTTING THE HEAD COVER BACK ON!

I did this and had to go back to square one.

Good luck and you can do this, I'm a college student and pretty much did it in a barren garage.  Cheesy

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #13 - 05/22/12 at 12:05:00

Well, here goes nothing guys! Wish me luck

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #14 - 05/22/12 at 15:52:27

Just finished it! It wasn't as hard it as I thought it was and it was the plug that seemed to be the problem. The gasket itself seemed clean and nothing was really out of line except for the fact that the plug was floating freely.

I guess the real test comes tomorrow when the sealant dries. Thanks everyone who helped me through this!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:29:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can Somebody please help me?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.